User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    istp

i dont... i rely too much on my daily nutrients to willingly go without for any long period of time.

within my 'pyramid of priorities'... nutrition is part of the base, along with plenty of sleep and cleanliness.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nope- I like food

It only makes sense to me that if you eat like you should and get excercize, sleep and drink plenty of water the body will take care of itself. Otherwise humans would have evolved different digestive systems years ago

Plus, I read in the NY Times a few years ago that "cleansing" does nothing that eating plenty of fruit and vegetables in your diet doesn't... and it's pretty harmful and socially counterproductive to go without food
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Umm...I don't think someone who makes a living from selling people that stuff is a reliable source. Nice try though. (an example of a reliable source would be a scientific study by unbiased observers, published in a peer-reviewed journal)

Anyway I'm not trying to start anything, just pointing out that there isn't any actual (ie, proven) evidence for this stuff. As long as it's not harming anyone it's no worse than astrology - maybe even better, since it encourages conscientiousness about your diet.
    lol I know. I used google scholar and the only results were books... by random registered dietitians and physicians... so it was the closest thing to reliable I could find. the registered dietitian i know is neutral on cleansing... which is to be expected from an RD.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post

Other than that, given a prolonged time of not ingesting any food and your body starts to seriously cannibalize itself. The first thing to go is muscle, because it's a high-energy requirement organ, thus it's dumped to save more energy because your body starts to think that a famine is going on.

Sorry, but I doubt that the people living in poverty driven areas in Africa feel very healthy due to their "clean" bodies.
    Yeah... I'm not talking about prolonged, self-induced starvation... obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    nope- I like food

It only makes sense to me that if you eat like you should and get excercize, sleep and drink plenty of water the body will take care of itself. Otherwise humans would have evolved different digestive systems years ago

Plus, I read in the NY Times a few years ago that "cleansing" does nothing that eating plenty of fruit and vegetables in your diet doesn't... and it's pretty harmful and socially counterproductive to go without food
    yes... i just tend to get bored with my current routine... moderation is so confining... i'm very health conscious, but i need something new every now and then. i even resort to eating plain raw kale, because i need it to be a little more challenging. although, i am finding raw veganism to be really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I know its purpose isn't weight loss. I stated what I did, although maybe irrelevant to the topic at hand, because they're a few of many reasons I would not fast. In addition, I don't have issues or sensitivities to food, I eat a very balanced diet (and my digestive system is awesome, haha), am quite content with my activity level, and consider myself healthy.

It's perfectly fine if you and others see a reason and benefit from doing so, but no need to provide all the 'facts' to 'sell' it to everyone who chooses not to do it.
    i'm not trying to convince anyone else (especially since i've only tried it once.. very unsuccessfully)... i really don't care what anyone else eats (it's not my place, and i get extremely annoyed when people tell me what to eat- so that's the last thing i want to do to you =P)- i'm just curious about those who do cleanse. the raw foodist who suggested it has defeated all of my arguments against raw foodism... and i actually was on the fence with this one... but i wanted to take his side to see if other's agreed. i especially didn't want people to think this was some sort of diet driven topic since synarch already gets on my case about food... in a joking way, but i don't want it to become more than a joke.

there are many different ways to be healthy... and cleansing may or may not be one of them.
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Ideally I'll be the woman

MBTI
    INFP

You may want to do some research about the rebound effect fasting can have. Many who do this in their youth have problems keeping their weight down in their later years.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by laintpe View Post
    I recently tried a one week cleanse and on the third day I started to pass out, thought my glycogen stores were depleted, that my brain was feeding off of vital tissue and dying, so I called 911. I probably overreacted a little, but, you just watch(!), someday my paranoia will prove to be useful.

Anyway, a few days after that I played tennis with some of the vegans from the Sac vegan group, one of whom is a raw foodist (I have recently been attempting (and failing at) raw foodism) and asked him about his cleansing practices (?). When I mentioned losing consciousness, he nonchalantly replied, "Oh, yeah, I pass out all the time when I fast. I go with it, let myself pass out, and wake up later." I find that to be a little unsettling... and I'm sure there is a way to "cleanse yourself" without shorting your brain on glucose.
    Sounds scary. I've nearly passed out from lack of food, too. It has led me to believe my body is rather sensitive to lowering glucose levels. Anyway..

Do you fast or cleanse (regularly, for religious purposes, randomly, even for blood tests, at any time/for any reason)?

Yes, to an extent. When I'm working on a project and I'm in the "zone" I don't eat or drink much. I don't want to. I don't even know food or anything else exists. That's how much energy I'm trying to put into focusing on what I'm doing. Sometimes I find working on an empty stomach leads to more focus. Other times...it drives me to distraction. It's all about paying careful attention to how I'm feeling at the time.

One thing I do know is working on a full stomach is very bad. It makes me too sleepy and slows my brain down too much. I need that slight rush you get when you start getting a bit hungry. However, after I'm done with whatever I'm doing, or I'm at a place where I can take a long break, I'll stuff my face.

What do you consume when you cleanse (some people only consume liquids, etc.)?

Water. Soda.

Have you completed any sort of cleanse that did not compromise your consciousness?

Yes. I didn't go without food for more than a day. One time I did do that, and I nearly passed out the next morning (took all my will to fight it and choke down something to keep me from completely going out). I DON'T recommend that.

Do you think that there are benefits to cleansing/fasting?

I think short periods of fasting are all right as the increased alertness can help from time to time. But on the whole, it's much healthier to eat regularly.

Do you notice any changes in your thinking (do you find that you are more clearheaded, etc.) when you fast/cleanse?

There's a degree. Eat too little for too long, and your brain starts getting muddled, tired, and you'll feel really irritable and get headaches and it's just a mess. Eat too much at once, and you'll fall asleep, not think clearly, feel sluggish. Somewhere in the middle is the ideal point. The point where you feel neither hungry nor satiated. You just are, at the moment. When you start to tip towards not eating for a while, your head will get a bit clearer because your brain is trying to put you into "forage" mode. (Maybe it's just me, but my sense of smell is much sharper...makes walking home when someone is BBQing something torture...)

I wouldn't recommend it regularly.

Raw foodism sounds kinda...bad for you. Not bad for you in a fattening way, just bad nutritionally. Like it sounds like you might end up missing out on proteins that you might only get from cooking certain beans and grains (can't have potatoes, they're poisonous raw...can't have kidney beans raw) if you don't know what you're doing. While cooking food does cause the substance to lose some of its nutritional value, I think what ends up getting missed is that more foods are available to be eaten because they are safe to eat when cooked and quite healthy for you. (Sorry, I'm biased. I can't imagine life without delicious fluffy breads.)

But I'm sure whoever is adamant about it makes sure they get all the right nutrients with careful planning. And I don't doubt they find themselves feeling lighter and more healthy. Their diet is pretty close to what we used to eat thousands of years ago as hunters and gatherers. Just throw in a little bit of meat every once an a while and you have it.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by laintpe View Post
    Yeah... I'm not talking about prolonged, self-induced starvation... obviously.
    Prolonged in this case means less than a day. After a day without a sufficient amount of calories, your body thinks that it is starving.

If you want to "clean" your body. Start a highly varied 1850-2350 kcal diet filled with complex carbohydrates, highly limited amount of saturated fats, high amounts of vitamins and proteins. And for gods sake, don't ignore meat, don't over eat it but don't become a stupid vegan. Seperate all of this into 5-8 small meals.

Oh yes, one more thing. This is an eternal diet, meaning, you do not quit it.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    Prolonged in this case means less than a day. After a day without a sufficient amount of calories, your body thinks that it is starving.

If you want to "clean" your body. Start a highly varied 1850-2350 kcal diet filled with complex carbohydrates, highly limited amount of saturated fats, high amounts of vitamins and proteins. And for gods sake, don't ignore meat, don't over eat it but don't become a stupid vegan. Separate all of this into 5-8 small meals.

Oh yes, one more thing. This is an eternal diet, meaning, you do not quit it.
    First of all, the case I mentioned in the start of this thread was the only time I tried a fast... it is not a hobby of mine. Ummm i've been vegan for 3 years... and adopting that diet is the main reason why i no longer take medication that made me very sick... my doctor and a registered dietitian agree that it is was a good move given my obviously improved health. and "high amounts of protein".. no.. adequate amounts. On top of being vegan, I'm mostly raw... I already monitor what I eat very closely... and because I engage in high levels of prolonged physical activity I have to eat closer to 2700 kcals. Anyway, this wasn't supposed to turn into a thread about my personal nutrition habits, it was supposed to be for those who do cleanse and whether or not they find it beneficial.

LII

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

The only issue I see with the fasting as a method for cleansing is that at some point your body does start breaking down fat for energy, and that's not a clean process at all. Also, a lot of toxins are fat soluble, and as your body breaks down the fat you're getting them flushed into your bloodstream. That's partially why you feel so crappy during a low carb diet. Cleansing itself seems like a good idea, but the fasting part is what I don't get, and only seems like it would help someone who already had a pretty clean diet in the first place.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The only issue I see with the fasting as a method for cleansing is that at some point your body does start breaking down fat for energy, and that's not a clean process at all. Also, a lot of toxins are fat soluble, and as your body breaks down the fat you're getting them flushed into your bloodstream. That's partially why you feel so crappy during a low carb diet. Cleansing itself seems like a good idea, but the fasting part is what I don't get, and only seems like it would help someone who already had a pretty clean diet in the first place.
    yes, i agree. cleansing through purer foods like organic fruits and vegetables... not fasting.

LII

MBTI
    ENFj

Seriously, I am not sure how you guys do it, its hard for me to control what I eat sometimes. I don't think I can go cokmpletely vegan and the OP sounds scary, I mean passing out?
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.