User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you eat organic foods?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

21 60.00%
  • no

13 37.14%
  • what's organic?

1 2.86%
First 12345 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Uh, I'm only 22, so I don't have to worry about my health yet. Or that's what I tell myself.

I could see myself getting into eating organic and going to the co-op, if I can just get over the terrible taste.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well since I dont have a lot of money, and I don't plan on living more than 65 more years, I don't eat organic.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Since we are having trouble with the term "organic"...

=P

"Organic foods are made according to certain production standards, meaning they are grown without the use of conventional pesticides and artificial fertilizers, free from contamination by human or industrial waste, and processed without ionizing radiation or food additives. If livestock are involved, they must be reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones, and generally fed a healthy diet. In most countries, organic produce may not be genetically modified."

MBTI
    INXP

For those who do, can I ask a supplementary question. Why?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by laintpe View Post
    There are more nutrients, so yes. I'm attempting to be predominately raw, so organic fruits and vegetables are a must if I want to avoid deficiencies.
    I remember reading a very very interesting article from the man that starred as the naturalist from Mad Mad House about his raw food diet. Although I love cooking way too much to convert (both doing and eating it) I remember enough of it to lend me to prefer snacking on raw vegetables instead of buying a can of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    For those who do, can I ask a supplementary question. Why?
    Hm.. I suppose it's no more the difference between eggland's best eggs and regular store-brand eggs. Just depends on how much you want to get out of your food, where your paranoia's are, etc. I have this mentality "Well, if I'm going to pay $1.something for eggs anyways, I might as well buy some with Omega-3 in them."

As for myself, I go to the farmer's market. When I'm a bit more well-off, I'll join the Farmer Market Organizations where they deliver weekly in-season produce and fruit to your door. I like supporting things like this.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    yupp

Serious: I don't really think too much about organic or not. I do buy raw fruits and veggies to snack on because they're yummy. Not because I'm all health conscious. I'm one of those people that if it tastes good I'll eat it, regardless of how healthy it is or isn't. I'd be a hypocrit if said I actually worry about my health, because I don't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When's the last time you ate a block of calcium?
    Dood, I eat blocks of cheese all the time. Mmmm, Camembert.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'd be a hypocrit if said I actually worry about my health, because I don't.
    If I were 19-22 I wouldn't worry about my health either. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted when I was college agged and gained the senior 25. LOL.

Organic is only for you if you believe pesticides and preservatives are bad for you. However, if you use air freshener and other typical household cleaning products or work in an office that uses industrial cleaners and products made of plastic (your phone) and computer monitors that off-gauss (sp?) then you're not really stopping the tidalwave of toxins from coming in.

Also, there are 2 different official standards of organic in the states. I believe that European (or at least French?) standards for 'organic' are MUCH higher than the states.

If you want truly organic and not wonder about where it really came from, you should grow your own fruits and veggies. I may do that even in a condo by terracing.

Eating organic for health reasons is usually part of a larger lifestyle that includes being active in nature, buying 'free trade' items, and being either neo-rustic Americana, yuppie, exotic bohemian or a combination of all three.

I was just thinking how limited pre-set lifestyles are in the states and it slightly depressed me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I mean we all have to die some time, and if it's sooner then later, so what I'm sure I'll have lived a pretty full life by the time whenever I die. I just don't want to live too long.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

I'm with Cze Cze on the aspects of a rigid lifestyle. It causes disruption in any number of ways. I try to eat homegrown fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Buy locally. Try to avoid items which have preservatives or other chemicals in them. (Most household tasks can be accomplished with vinegar, bleach, other common substances.)

But I'm not a slave to the habit. It cracks me up when I see people in the supermarkets turning a quick job into an afternoon's work fussing over ingredients and process. As mentoned, it's nearly unavoidable to come into contact with any number of unhealthy things.

And, as a hostess, I find it aggravating to host a number of people who have to make a big deal out of what they will and won't eat. This number is on the rise and they can be pretty militant about it. Puhleeze. When I'm invited somewhere I eat what looks most healthy to me and sometimes I splurge and eat something which isn't. But I find it uneccessary to go into a dissertation about my special needs. Or to put my hostess through the third degree about her cooking ingredients or methods.

When I host I try to provide a large variety of sugar-free items and other healthy foods mixed in with the all-kindsa-stuff-that's-not-good-for-you-but-great-to-eat stuff.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer