User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I hate the whole commercial aspect of "breast cancer awareness".
    We're definitely all aware that breast cancer exists, 1 in 3 women develops a growth in her breast, 1 in 8 metastasizes. Check your breast on the first of every month, etc.

Its useful information, but its common knowledge now. Take all that money spent on pink frying pans and teeshirts and use it to find a cure! There are also other, less detectable diseases/cancer forms out there that we need to start worrying about as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Disease is a commercial opportunity. Drugs are big business.

I can't say I've noticed anything specifically different about the publicity surrounding breast cancer. It waxes and wanes.

EDIT. In the UK that is. We do have the pink "theme" and yes, that's annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This may sound glib, but I think it's because the breast cancer ribbon is pink. Women are the overwhelming sufferers of breast cancer, and lots of women enjoy buying things that are pink. If way back whenever, whoever does the ribbons made the breast cancer ribbon olive green, none of this would have happened.
    Right. Aids had red but that phase kind of fizzled out.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Breast cancer, I've heard, is the most common kind of cancer in the US. So it makes sense that so much attention gets placed on it.

There's consumerism attached to every major health and political cause. Other than the regular criticisms of consumerism, I don't see anything especially worse about this kind.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Breast cancer, I've heard, is the most common kind of cancer in the US. So it makes sense that so much attention gets placed on it.

There's consumerism attached to every major health and political cause. Other than the regular criticisms of consumerism, I don't see anything especially worse about this kind.
    Ditto, I don't see why anyone would be annoyed by anything that motivated people who wouldn't normally give a toss, to donate and be aware of this issue.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    isfj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You commercialize anything that brings the maximum profit.
    The lawgiver does not exist in a vacuum.
    speaking of vacuums...
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

MBTI
    ISFJ

The misguided (association) of "loss of femininity" due to breast removal is the subconscious stigma played with. It can be quite powerful and there aren't many comparable cases which can so-well be used by the consumerism mindset.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Ditto, I don't see why anyone would be annoyed by anything that motivated people who wouldn't normally give a toss, to donate and be aware of this issue.
    How much of the purchase price actually goes toward donation and equally important where does the donation money go?

Critical Questions to Ask (Think before you pink)

Corporations are making money off an emotionally charged issue and people may believe they are helping the cause far more than they are. That's why I think direct donations would be far better.

It does raise awareness, but the dangers seems to be that it may lead one to believe that more money and support out there is going to innovative, helpful breast cancer research, mammograms or support for patients than acutally is because people get all wrapped up in the feel good aspect of the pink campaign and don't want to anaylze the hard facts of the matter.

It may also lead non-critical thinkers to believe the products carrying the pink ribbon on them have been tested to be totally healthy and wholesome and in someway associated with breast cancer prevention. (The article discusses the issue of "pinkwashers")

As an aside, people who aren't living in the US may not realize how incredibly pervasive the pink campaign is here now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I have my deep suspicions about the whole breast cancer industry. Like ... why is breast cancer so on the rise? Um ... how about because we get our breasts squashed and XRAYED once a year? And the clinic I have been going to routinely calls me back for a second exam because there was some problem with the first one. They clear me after the second exam. Meanwhile they get to bill me twice. I've discovered this is typical of that particular clinic from talking to other women who go there, so now I'm wondering if it's typical across the board.

My mother is a survivor of Stage 4 -- and she had her exam every year on the dot. She went from clear to Stage 4 in like six months. Most breast cancers are not found on xrays, they're found on exam.

I dunno ...

beyondaurora

Here's my opinion...

The only way most people are going to support a cause is by making supporting that cause trendy.

So, as sad and annoying as it is that people are like that, if the cause is benefiting from their spending, then so be it.