User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default The Poor Man's Diet

Every time I try to start eating healthier I wind up standing at the cash register gasping for breath while I fork out the dough for my new endeavor.

If you were to create a diet/menu of HEALTHY, GOOD tasting food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... what would it include?
    Embrace the possibilities.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Cheap=Eggs, Potatoes, and Vegetable soup. I'm pretty sure you can live on it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Eggs, fruit, peanut butter, Wheat bread, lentil soup, Sriracha.

Good to go.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    If you were to create a diet/menu of HEALTHY, GOOD tasting food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... what would it include?
    Cooking for yourself.... It's not that difficult to do cheaply... if you cook at home and don't get into the 'whole foods' stuff.

It's the retraining part that is really hard, IMO. The body tends to crave the good stuff during this period and trying to get the good stuff when eating healthy is very expensive. Also, avoid a lot of the 'healthy' places - simply buy at the normal market, but change what you buy. In general, organic and the like is a rip off (I make some exceptions here for chicken/eggs and 'picked green fruits') and will inflate your cost without benefit.

The process is:

1) Buy staples only
    2) Buy seasoning
    3) ???
    4) Profit

It's the seasoning part that is important. Curry is my favorite now, since I have an in to an excellent chinese (more similar to thai yellow curries) one. But peppercorn gravy (gravy does not have to be unhealthy!) to Ms Dash/Five spice all can work as well. The problem with eating healthy + eating tasty is that we still identify fat/calories with tasty. It's not easy to break that, and if you go with staples, you don't get much of the old 'tasty' stuff.

Otherwise, same old stuff - make sure you eat vegetables and fruits. Cheap for me was apples (apples got grilled into sandwhiches, eaten whole, made into applesauce) and spinach (which got eaten raw, cooked with garlic/etc, shredded into curry/pasta/whatever).

But the direct answer is... Buy staples (rice, pasta, potatoes), add support (vegetables/meat) and then add vegetables (frozen, normally)... keep fruit and the like around instead of snacks. That's about it!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

If you have an ethnic grociery store nearby you can buy spices a lot cheaper there than you can at a conventional grociery store- and spices are what makes a food interesting and delicious a lot of time

Learn to use less meat, or catch sales like chunks of fish for $0.99 like I occasionally run across at Kroger (or a bag of boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $5, which is awesome, because they can last forever if you don't insist on eating tons of chicken at every meal!)

Rice is delicious, rice stick noodles are beyond awesome (again, if you have an ethnic grociery in the area that's even cheaper!) and I learned in Brazil that black beans and rice can very well be a meal if you're short on rent money

As for vegetables and fruits, I learned from my family to freeze a ton of them while they're on sale at the farmer's market in the summer- much cheaper than buying them at the grociery in the winter.

You'll usually have a bit of extra money left over for something fun to add to your meals
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If you have an ethnic grociery store nearby you can buy spices a lot cheaper there than you can at a conventional grociery store- and spices are what makes a food interesting and delicious a lot of time
    Yeah, I don't know where you are or how it is there, but there are a lot of places in Little Mexico areas of town where food is a lot cheaper and there are fresh meat markets, etc. I don't know the feasibility of this if you don't speak Spanish, though, because I've always been with someone who did.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I live in my town's Little Mexico and speak spanish, to it's easy for me here.

Where I used to live I was near an Asian grociery store that also had a great selection of everything for really cheap!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENxJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Legumes, oatmeal, certain fruits and vegetables, cereal, milk, yogurt, etc.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Don't forget generic organics!!!

Also, try ethnic vegetarian frozen dishes - they are wonderful!

Um... in season veggies and fruits... bulks... anything Healthy Choice?
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

fruit veggies beans and whole grains

in a healthy combination of course

they are actually quite cheap

and if you want you can throw some chicken or fish in there
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1