User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I pretty much lived on Proat meal for a while. Oal meal with Protean powder. It was sometimes pretty good, sometimes disgusting. It tended to cake up in the Microwave. I was trying to build muscle. It seemed like a fast easy way to get carbs and protean.
    LOL was it called proteanmix?

MBTI
    ENFP

YAY this stuff used to cake up as well!! That's what I loved about it... I even amde it for a friend when he came over for dinner hahaha!! (He knew I was crazy before he came so all was good) Yea i loved the texture... fabulous stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENFJ

Its been mostly suggested, but I will tell you what I do:

Eggs
    Whey Protein
    Fruit (bananas, strawberries)
    Frozen veggies
    Tuna (cheap in can/water)
    Chicken
    100% whole wheat bagels

Multi-vitamin
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. --- Maya Angelou

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    LOL was it called proteanmix?
    What was some variant of a whey protean mix, but not actually called proteanmix.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado44 View Post
    Its been mostly suggested, but I will tell you

Tuna (cheap in can/water)
    Complete with mercury dioxide, more poisonous than mercury alone.

MBTI
    istj

Grow a garden and make everything from scratch. Maybe then you wont have time to eat!
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.

MBTI
    INTJ

I personally find the key to eating well on the cheap is to plan what you eat in advance, like just before you do your weekly shop. That way you don't waste food and you can make sure your meals are nutritious.

I consider myself to have a good balanced diet (I've always been slim) and I make sure I cook every evening.
    My lunch - bowl of soup, yoghurt, piece of fruit, bread roll

For dinner you just need a staple, like potatoes/rice/pasta, a meat or fish (if you plan your meals you can share this between a couple of them), sauce (best made of a few fried bits of veg plus salt/pepper/spices and a stock, but just any old jar of sauce adds variety). The most expensive thing is the meat or fish, but I can't actually go a day without eating meat so I end up forking out. It's worth it for nutrition, in my opinion, but I suppose if you're veggie there must be alternatives.

This probably all sounds regimented, but honestly it's never been an issue for me and I never waste food or buy something I'll never touch. I also allow myself the odd snacks like cakes and crisps with dip, but that costs extra so I didn't include it above.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oatmeal
    Bean dishes -- buy dried beans rather than canned and cook them yourself
    brown rice
    corn bread
    eggs
    grits
    Chicken pieces and stew beef
    bag oranges and apples -- eat one of each per day
    fresh vegetables if you will eat them; if not, get frozen

Definitely plan your meals, and if you can, cook just once or twice a week, enough for the next few days, so you always have something nutritious on hand to eat. That way you're not tempted to spend money on junk.

Good luck!

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If you have an ethnic grociery store nearby you can buy spices a lot cheaper there than you can at a conventional grociery store- and spices are what makes a food interesting and delicious a lot of time
    Well... I guess a "French" grocery in the US wouldn't be especially cheap... For instance, where would you find Duck and real cheese?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Well... I guess a "French" grocery in the US wouldn't be especially cheap... For instance, where would you find Duck and real cheese?
    It's a constant amazement to me how casually brilliant the French are with food. Price/quality-wise it's considerably cheaper to eat out there. And it's a pleasure. In the UK the customer is treated as an unnecessary fixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    If you were to create a diet/menu of HEALTHY, GOOD tasting food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... what would it include?
    Grouse over!

Tried the benefits of lentil soup? My quick lentil soup fits the bill - used to live off it when I was a student. But it kept getting eaten by my housechums. Little bastards. (To be fair I did get a free beer swapsy).

Method

Grate an onion and a carrot (and some celery, if it's lying around); fry in vegetable oil for three minutes.

Throw in a pint of water (add a veg stock cube if there's one lying around; if not don't worry) and bring to the boil.

Add 5 tablespoons worth of red lentils (the ones you only have to boil for 40 min); or alternatively yellow lentils (which only take about 20 minutes). Boil rapidly for 10 minutes and simmer for the remainder. Add paprika for a taste of Hungary, or chili for a bad cold.

Mangiare with a crusty baguette (5 minutes in the oven).

It's never lasted long enough to freeze but keeps in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. Maybe longer.

Cost-wise it I reckon under a dollar for a litre/two pints.