• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to get back to losing

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I was a Diabetic two years ago. I weighed 300 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers to try to lose the weight. All I did was learn about calculating my points. In time, I figured out the formula behinds the points calculation and was able to figure out the points value of foods in my head. In ISTJ fashion, I followed strict eating regiments for about a year and a half, with the rare eating whatever I wanted.

Earlier this year, my weight loss started slowing down, and then in May, I hit the 200 lb mark. Then it went downhill from there. I stopped caring about losing and just started doing whatever. So, I started maintaining....for a long time. I joined a gym in August, and went to it for a month. Then something personal cropped up and I stopped, even though I'm still paying for it. I'm still following weight watchers, but aside from what my normal regiment is, I'm eating whatever I want probably once or twice a week now. It's extra hard with the holidays because everything I want to eat is basically at my fingertips.

I was 206 this morning, and it really bothered me, but bleh. I'm 5'9". It's hard to get myself to go back to losing. The Diabetes is gone and now I just want to lose the weight, but I can't motivate myself to do what's required.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You lost a freaking hundred pounds and got rid of your own diabetes?! WOW! That is AMAZING, and inspirational.

You're going to think I'm crazy but I will tell you what is working for me (I have a lot left to lose, as you no doubt noticed at our meetup, but I have lost about 15 lbs in less than 3 months which is plenty fast for me).

The Shangri-La Diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not so much a diet as a method of appetite suppression. Lots of people use it to help them stay on WW without feeling deprived. It works, very well. It's not fast, and there are plateaus, but it has DRASTICALLY changed my appetite and cravings.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
No way. I wish I were as fit as you seemed. Although, the only thing I really notice in my everyday life is just a slight lack of muscle. Any other desire to lose weight is really for looks. Maybe it was easier before because I had something I *had* to get rid of and now I don't?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I can imagine the motivation of diabetes would be hard to top. But if you're at your target size, just not your target level of toning, you probably just need to join a gym or something, right? (Edit: I re-read your OP and see that you already belong to one- makes that part easy! LOL) Although I find that working out regularly makes me hungrier and usually leads to gaining weight, which doesn't seem fair AT ALL. I need to do it for my heart's sake though, and hope the Shangri-La thing works well enough to counteract it appetite-wise.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
well working out is wonderful. running (long distances) is pointless when losing weight. sprinting however is excellent. 20 minutes of springs is = 1 hour of long distance (roughly). jumping rope is also excellent. and of course swimming is excellent. dont waste time on running long distances.

also (and i do not know your gender) sprinting and working out legs or larger muscles in general ups your natural testosterone production. higher test = less fat many times.

lots of fruits and veggies lol. the rainbow diet is excellent for losing weight.

pm me if you want a good ISTJ designed workout which i created specifically for ISTJs. if you want i have info on dieting too :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
mlittrell are you a trainer?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
mlittrell are you a trainer?
i should be lol. no i just go to the gym 5 days a week and am a freak about what i eat. my mom is a nutritionist. the neurological benefits to eating health are way to good for me to eat crap like fast food lol.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Raz, I'm sooo impressed...and you give me hope. My younger son is 100 lbs overweight: 250 lbs on a small frame with a family history of heart disease and diabetes. He was a thin, restless child who ballooned up once he got on psychotropic meds to control his schizophrenia. He also has horrible eating habits. All I say about diet and exercise falls on deaf ears, of course. He's been on Lipitor for high cholesterol since he was 19 (he's 22 now). Some of his dietary choices are the result of low income and restriction to the $100 he gets in Food Stamps every month, but he could still be eating a lot better than he does. Part of it is lack of motivation, part and parcel of the schizophrenia. But now he has a girlfriend. I'm hoping that will spur him to do something about his appearance and health.

I have my own weight gain story as well. I have been thin--even underweight--all my life (even after beginning to use a power chair for mobility), until I had to switch from lithium to Depakote to control mania/mixed moods that I'm prone to. Then, in a matter of months, I gained 60 lbs. I too went on Weight Watchers to lose the weight "sanely." I also went back to doing 200 sit-ups a day. It's not cardio, but it's the only exercise I can do given my disability. I lost about 20 lbs., but still have a long way to go. I felt starved on the points plan, so use the core plan, which seems to work well for me when I stick to it. It's just that lately, spending a lot of time with Mr. INTJ, also Southern, has me eating a lot of my comfort foods (e.g., bicuits and gravy for breakfast) and the loss is slowing down:doh: I need to get back on track. I'm usually quite self-disciplined. I'm not even a big eater in general; it's what I eat that makes all the difference The holidays aren't a problem per se as I don't like sweets and am not a snacker. It's more that on Depakote, just looking at food can pack the pounds on. Somehow I've got to get it through my head that being on Depakote is a lifelong proposition and so, therefore, is Weight Watchers.

Anyway, congrats on losing 100 lbs.and getting rid of the diabetes. You're awesome.:)

MBTI Type
INxJ
i should be lol. no i just go to the gym 5 days a week and am a freak about what i eat. my mom is a nutritionist. the neurological benefits to eating health are way to good for me to eat crap like fast food lol.

I'm a raw foodist, so I know what you mean. Fast food is littered with so many chemicals that go into the blood. The blood feeds into the brain. It makes sense to eat as healthy as possible to operate at optimum capacity.

OP: Congrats on the weight loss and overcoming diabetes.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a raw foodist, so I know what you mean. Fast food is littered with so many chemicals that go into the blood. The blood feeds into the brain. It makes sense to eat as healthy as possible to operate at optimum capacity.

OP: Congrats on the weight loss and overcoming diabetes.

same :)

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Gee, congratulations, raz1337! You did an awesome job there! =)

Tho, unfortunately I can't help you too much, since I know how hard it is to stay motivated. Kinda have the same problem. Still, I really hope you can do it. >,<

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Pray tell.

Oh and have you designed an ENFP wokout yet? I'm in need to lose a few pounds myself. Gaining some stomach fat.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Fast.

It's why I do.
I mean no for losing weight -- I couldn't gain if I tried. I know because I have tried.

Lock yourself in a room and don't do anything else till you get it right.
Works for my guitar playing, and it ought to work for weight loss.
It will hurt, and you'll be angry and probably bored for however long, but those strings grind the hell out of my fingers, and I have to stop when I start bleeding from my fingernails... damned bends.... but when they stop, I rest for a bit and just think about what I'm doing wrong till they won't bleed when I start back up.

It'll suck but it works. And you won't care about how much it sucked once you've got it.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I spent more than 7 hours playing last night.
I was recording. I threw it all away because it wasn't good enough. I only stopped because everyone else went to sleep and made me stop.
As soon as I get home from work, I'm playing some more.

Also I recommend having lots of sex. That's a pretty good workout and the reward is instant and long lasting.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It's a lot harder with the holidays. When I was going to the gym, it wasn't that hard to go twice a week. But, once something really personal crept up, I said screw it and I couldn't adapt. So, I intentionally waited until the winter break so I could try to re-align everything without the hindrance of school. I'm more of a person who would go out for a walk on a nature trail than go to a gym.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yeah, a walk on a nature trail isn't likely to tone you up like you say you need, though. Maybe climbing would.

Have you considered getting some freeweights and using them at home? I think this is the only way I'm going to be able to do weights because if it means going somewhere, I'm just not going to be able to keep that up. Maybe if I were extroverted.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Pray tell.

Oh and have you designed an ENFP wokout yet? I'm in need to lose a few pounds myself. Gaining some stomach fat.
i have a basic ENFP workout finished

technically any type can workout anyway but the workouts i made are so that each type will enjoy the workout they are doing. i do a very SJ workout personally.

and in regards to the neurological benefits... most of what i get is from "The Edge Effect" by Dr. Eric Braverman

like mentioned above (i think)... send PMs

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
well working out is wonderful. running (long distances) is pointless when losing weight. sprinting however is excellent. 20 minutes of springs is = 1 hour of long distance (roughly). jumping rope is also excellent. and of course swimming is excellent. dont waste time on running long distances.

I've seen people lose plenty of weight by distance running. A 30-something guy joined (with no running experience) the marathon team I was on and lost 35-40 pounds. He also was invited to and completed Western States last year! I think it really depends on your definition of distance running... I agree that the occasional 5-10k won't be of much good (as far as weight loss) especially if the person is "running" a slow mile. Although... our team didn't just run at marathon pace for a few hours... we also incorporated fartleks, sprints, hills, cross training like swimming and cycling... and bizarre exercises our coach discovered at various running seminars. Personally, I wouldn't completely nix distance running... but I'm not a fan of gym machines either.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Yeah. That's silly. Why are all of the marathon runners in the olympics stick thin, but the sprinters are much bulkier? From my experience, distance running is a great way to lose weight. Mixing it with sprinting is even better.

We should start some sort of "MBTI Weekly Health and Fitness Check-in Thread Thingy" where people interested in losing weight or getting healthy can post their progress.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Distance running is better than sprinting because when you do long cardio, you keep burning extra calories for HOURS after you've stopped. Sprinting is for getting your heart rate and respiratory strength up