User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

Default Trying to get back to losing

I was a Diabetic two years ago. I weighed 300 lbs. I joined Weight Watchers to try to lose the weight. All I did was learn about calculating my points. In time, I figured out the formula behinds the points calculation and was able to figure out the points value of foods in my head. In ISTJ fashion, I followed strict eating regiments for about a year and a half, with the rare eating whatever I wanted.

Earlier this year, my weight loss started slowing down, and then in May, I hit the 200 lb mark. Then it went downhill from there. I stopped caring about losing and just started doing whatever. So, I started maintaining....for a long time. I joined a gym in August, and went to it for a month. Then something personal cropped up and I stopped, even though I'm still paying for it. I'm still following weight watchers, but aside from what my normal regiment is, I'm eating whatever I want probably once or twice a week now. It's extra hard with the holidays because everything I want to eat is basically at my fingertips.

I was 206 this morning, and it really bothered me, but bleh. I'm 5'9". It's hard to get myself to go back to losing. The Diabetes is gone and now I just want to lose the weight, but I can't motivate myself to do what's required.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You lost a freaking hundred pounds and got rid of your own diabetes?! WOW! That is AMAZING, and inspirational.

You're going to think I'm crazy but I will tell you what is working for me (I have a lot left to lose, as you no doubt noticed at our meetup, but I have lost about 15 lbs in less than 3 months which is plenty fast for me).

The Shangri-La Diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not so much a diet as a method of appetite suppression. Lots of people use it to help them stay on WW without feeling deprived. It works, very well. It's not fast, and there are plateaus, but it has DRASTICALLY changed my appetite and cravings.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    LoLz

No way. I wish I were as fit as you seemed. Although, the only thing I really notice in my everyday life is just a slight lack of muscle. Any other desire to lose weight is really for looks. Maybe it was easier before because I had something I *had* to get rid of and now I don't?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I can imagine the motivation of diabetes would be hard to top. But if you're at your target size, just not your target level of toning, you probably just need to join a gym or something, right? (Edit: I re-read your OP and see that you already belong to one- makes that part easy! LOL) Although I find that working out regularly makes me hungrier and usually leads to gaining weight, which doesn't seem fair AT ALL. I need to do it for my heart's sake though, and hope the Shangri-La thing works well enough to counteract it appetite-wise.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

well working out is wonderful. running (long distances) is pointless when losing weight. sprinting however is excellent. 20 minutes of springs is = 1 hour of long distance (roughly). jumping rope is also excellent. and of course swimming is excellent. dont waste time on running long distances.

also (and i do not know your gender) sprinting and working out legs or larger muscles in general ups your natural testosterone production. higher test = less fat many times.

lots of fruits and veggies lol. the rainbow diet is excellent for losing weight.

pm me if you want a good ISTJ designed workout which i created specifically for ISTJs. if you want i have info on dieting too
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

mlittrell are you a trainer?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    mlittrell are you a trainer?
    i should be lol. no i just go to the gym 5 days a week and am a freak about what i eat. my mom is a nutritionist. the neurological benefits to eating health are way to good for me to eat crap like fast food lol.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Trying to get back to losing

Raz, I'm sooo impressed...and you give me hope. My younger son is 100 lbs overweight: 250 lbs on a small frame with a family history of heart disease and diabetes. He was a thin, restless child who ballooned up once he got on psychotropic meds to control his schizophrenia. He also has horrible eating habits. All I say about diet and exercise falls on deaf ears, of course. He's been on Lipitor for high cholesterol since he was 19 (he's 22 now). Some of his dietary choices are the result of low income and restriction to the $100 he gets in Food Stamps every month, but he could still be eating a lot better than he does. Part of it is lack of motivation, part and parcel of the schizophrenia. But now he has a girlfriend. I'm hoping that will spur him to do something about his appearance and health.

I have my own weight gain story as well. I have been thin--even underweight--all my life (even after beginning to use a power chair for mobility), until I had to switch from lithium to Depakote to control mania/mixed moods that I'm prone to. Then, in a matter of months, I gained 60 lbs. I too went on Weight Watchers to lose the weight "sanely." I also went back to doing 200 sit-ups a day. It's not cardio, but it's the only exercise I can do given my disability. I lost about 20 lbs., but still have a long way to go. I felt starved on the points plan, so use the core plan, which seems to work well for me when I stick to it. It's just that lately, spending a lot of time with Mr. INTJ, also Southern, has me eating a lot of my comfort foods (e.g., bicuits and gravy for breakfast) and the loss is slowing down I need to get back on track. I'm usually quite self-disciplined. I'm not even a big eater in general; it's what I eat that makes all the difference The holidays aren't a problem per se as I don't like sweets and am not a snacker. It's more that on Depakote, just looking at food can pack the pounds on. Somehow I've got to get it through my head that being on Depakote is a lifelong proposition and so, therefore, is Weight Watchers.

Anyway, congrats on losing 100 lbs.and getting rid of the diabetes. You're awesome.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i should be lol. no i just go to the gym 5 days a week and am a freak about what i eat. my mom is a nutritionist. the neurological benefits to eating health are way to good for me to eat crap like fast food lol.
    I'm a raw foodist, so I know what you mean. Fast food is littered with so many chemicals that go into the blood. The blood feeds into the brain. It makes sense to eat as healthy as possible to operate at optimum capacity.

OP: Congrats on the weight loss and overcoming diabetes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I'm a raw foodist, so I know what you mean. Fast food is littered with so many chemicals that go into the blood. The blood feeds into the brain. It makes sense to eat as healthy as possible to operate at optimum capacity.

OP: Congrats on the weight loss and overcoming diabetes.
    same

Mahatma Gandhi