MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Default Pilates?

I'm going to a pilates class today.

Have anybody had any experience with Pilates?
    What do you think of it?
    Is it really as good as they say it is?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I added a Pilates class to my gym program about a month ago and I must say it’s effen tough but I felt positive results pretty much straight away. Seems worth it to me.

G'luck.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I tried out yoga once at the local gym and vowed not to try anything like that EVER again, but I was just misguided.

Pilates/yoga are something that we should learn in steps in order to slowly train the muscle. The more complex stretches can be quite intimidating.

I tried some pilates from a dance class, and all I can say is, "Wow." I LOVE pilates!! It really sculpts your body like nothing.

Have fun/enjoy it as much as you can! Once you learn the basic steps, you can do it at home to your fav. music! Enjoy.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

^ See now yoga I LOVE! But I find the two very different as I use a reformer bed for Pilates, yoga for me is about core strength and concentration while Pilates is more like an active workout because of the reformer bed. Prolly should have mentioned that

MBTI
    GONE

Yoga and Pilates are completely different in terms of breath -- one uses the diaphragm the other uses the lungs. It therefore engages (core) muscles differently. Yoga is essentially about breath and perhaps a flexible spine. Pilates incorporates Yoga but seems to me is more about strength (more so than flexibility) and rehabilitation. I've taken classes in both -- I never got on the reformer though, because they make it seem like you have to master the floor work first.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

True. I totally forgot to mention that! I can imagine yoga to be really nice to get into as well.

I really need to take a beginner's yoga class. The one I got into was advanced. People were doing some complex moves that made me feel crippled the next day like a train ran over it. My body needs the gradual progression.

Anyway, it's fun to try new things! If you're in pain the next day- potassium (banana helps- if you're not a banana person like me- blend it with strawberries & yogurt- you get the benefits of antioxidants, Vit. C, enzymes for your skin, fiber, and a natural remedy to reduce the burn). G'Luck & FUN! :P

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Yoga and Pilates are completely different in terms of breath -- one uses the diaphragm the other uses the lungs. It therefore engages (core) muscles differently. Yoga is essentially about breath and perhaps a flexible spine. Pilates incorporates Yoga but seems to me is more about strength (more so than flexibility) and rehabilitation. I've taken classes in both -- I never got on the reformer though, because they make it seem like you have to master the floor work first.
    Does Pilates use the diaphragm? Just interested. Because then I would actually be more interested again.
    I've done a mixture of Pilates and Power yoga (and Tai-chi) for a while and am more drawn to pick up yoga now, but this makes me think there is some to Pilates as well. My midriff could use more symmetry as you know.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Years ago I went to a yoga class that was just brutal. You left in ruins, best work-out EVER! But the guy left, and never found another instructor like that again, so I kinda left off.

Never liked Pilates much
    Only my 2nd post, so much for clean slates!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I've tried both yoga and pilates but found them too boring and felt sleepy. They will kick your ass though and the next day *ouch*. What did you think?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I like Yogalates - combines best of both. Really good for de-stressing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.