User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Insomnia

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Sweet! A up @4am club!

I've done the tour de pill myself, really nothing works that well......beyond sorting out the issues that keep me up at night :P

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Hay guys. It's 4:30am here right now. I can't sleep again, which completely doesn't make sense because I slept only 4 hours last night. I should be exhausted and stuff.

I tried to go to bed about 4 hours ago, and ended up tossing and turning and worrying about visa issues. So I got out of bed, spent 2 hours trying to resolve it/plan to take an English language test as a requirement/organise my flights. Now I'm more awake than ever.

I also need to be at work in about 4 hours.

Do any of you lie in bed at night unable to shut your mind off? Like, it keeps planning, with aims, goals, contingencies, etc.? It's kind of like worrying, except that it's a brain-storming kind of worrying, and when you've settled one thing (mentally at least), it's on to the next. I guess that would be more of a TJ thing than a P thing.

Anyway. Sleep tips anyone? I'm lactose intolerant, so milk makes things worse because then I'll be uncomfortable, grumpy and unable to sleep.
    Get drunk, pass out (after posting on the drunk thread)

MBTI
    ENTP

get stoned and have sex

MBTI
    INxJ

Try to exercise regularly and remember to eat. It won't solve it all the time as the issue is an active mind, but it does help.

MBTI
    INTP

Have you tried meditation? Basically your short term memory gets overloaded with all the 10,000 different things you are keeping track of in your life. This causes stress to build.

I think of meditation as defragging your short term memory. You need to periodically reset it by emptying your mind of thoughts--effectively clearing out the junk. Five minutes, once or twice a day should be sufficent, some people recommend meditating five times a day.

There's a growing body of neuroscientific research that points to the positive effects of meditation. Tai chi and Yoga are known as meditation in motion--both typically involve some actual meditation.

Try this:

Amazon.com: 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life.: Victor Davich: Books

MBTI
    yupp

so I pretty much took 3 otc sleeping pills and i still can't sleep. I usually take one-two a night and that usually knocks me out for about 4-6 hours. This was an hour and half ago, so maybe they will kick in, but I feel drowsy. Yet I can not fall asleep.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    GONE

How bad are you fighting the sleep?

If you get in the habit of fighting sleep, be sneaky.

Sit in front of the tv, lie down, get comfortable, and be lulled to sleep.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

the problem with tv is it would distract me even more from falling asleepp.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Hay guys. It's 4:30am here right now. I can't sleep again, which completely doesn't make sense because I slept only 4 hours last night. I should be exhausted and stuff.

I tried to go to bed about 4 hours ago, and ended up tossing and turning and worrying about visa issues. So I got out of bed, spent 2 hours trying to resolve it/plan to take an English language test as a requirement/organise my flights. Now I'm more awake than ever.

I also need to be at work in about 4 hours.

Do any of you lie in bed at night unable to shut your mind off? Like, it keeps planning, with aims, goals, contingencies, etc.? It's kind of like worrying, except that it's a brain-storming kind of worrying, and when you've settled one thing (mentally at least), it's on to the next. I guess that would be more of a TJ thing than a P thing.

Anyway. Sleep tips anyone? I'm lactose intolerant, so milk makes things worse because then I'll be uncomfortable, grumpy and unable to sleep.
    If it is really bothersome and incessant, you might consider reading about cyclothymia... it's kind of a stretch (insomnia and racing thoughts are only two symptoms), but i felt as though I was going absolutely insane before they pinpointed cyc as being the cause. when i couldn't sleep i would run... it didn't really lead to sleep, but it provided some anxiety relief. warm soy milk might help... or chamomile tea... or you could go the lunesta route... my bipolar friend claims it's really hard to wake up in the morning... however, she definitely can sleep now. i rarely have trouble sleeping anymore... and my CNS symptoms are insignificant in comparison to what they were... the only major change i made was going vegan/raw... i think psychotherapy may have played a role as well. best of luck to you.

There is a natural supplement called 5-HTP that I use that helps tremendously. You take it 30 mins before bedtime, and it helps a small amount of sleep fell much more restful. I know exactly what it does but here's a much better description that what I could give:

"5- HTP provides the quickest, most effective, and most consistent overall results in treating insomnia. It is an effective alternative for dealing with sleep problems in a safe and natural way compared to sleep medicines. 5-HTP improves the quality of sleep. More importantly, clinical studies show that 5- HTP is also useful in the treatment of sleep disorders other than insomnia.

5-HTP increases REM sleep significantly (typically by about 25 percent) while simultaneously increasing deep sleep stages 3 and 4 without increasing total sleep time. 5- HTP accomplishes this by shortening the amount of time you spend in sleep stages 1 and 2, which in certain ways are the least important stages of the cycle. The higher the dose, the more time spent in REM.

By shifting the balance of the sleep cycle, 5-HTP makes sleep more restful and rejuvenating. Instead of waking feeling tired, worn out, and "hungover," people taking 5- HTP feel vibrant, well rested, and ready to take on the challenges of the day. When we sleep more deeply and dream more efficiently, we wake in the morning with our physical and psychological batteries fully charged."

Try it. Its super awesome and works great.
    "Being right too soon is socially unacceptable."
    -Robert A. Heinlein