User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    this was an interesting revelation to me um I actually wasn't eating enough, now that I have started eating um I am starting to lose weight again.... odd isn't it?
    It's a mistake that a lot of people make. That's part of the reason it's important to eat the right foods 5-6 times a day.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

yup

I usually have yogurt first thing because it's easy to grab and eat
    then I have breakfast carb (whole grain) + protein
    fruit
    lunch, left overs or a sandwich or something
    fruit/veggie + protein
    dinner lean meat, carb and veggies lots of veggies....

water thrown in there and a lot of it as well as coffee and probably some cookies..... but it's good and it's working

when I looked at my BMI it said I needed 2000 calories to maintain my weight add to that my caloric burn of 300-500 calories 5 days a week and not eating my body was starving. I don't count calories though. I am making smarter food choices and not getting starving hungry, just eating.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

my most effective weight loss program involved a three step program:
    1. go to africa
    2. get sick
    3. have some unnamed bug screw with your hormonal system, thus manipulating your metabolism to be a super-slick system that makes it impossible to gain weight.

My theory, based off my backward attempts to gain weight:
    If I want to gain weight, it takes true effort for me and I have to slow down my metabolism by:
    eating infrequently during the day (as opposed to my usual continual snacking habit) and then eating a lot in one sitting (as opposed to my usual inability to ingest large amounts all in one sitting)

So, one should speed up their metabolism by doing what I do naturally (eating all the time but always healthy meals and in always having small snacks throughout the day; not eating much at a "meal time" at all, it's just more snack time).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    my most effective weight loss program involved a three step program:
    1. go to africa
    2. get sick
    3. have some unnamed bug screw with your hormonal system, thus manipulating your metabolism to be a super-slick system that makes it impossible to gain weight.

My theory, based off my backward attempts to gain weight:
    If I want to gain weight, it takes true effort for me and I have to slow down my metabolism by:
    eating infrequently during the day (as opposed to my usual continual snacking habit) and then eating a lot in one sitting (as opposed to my usual inability to ingest large amounts all in one sitting)

So, one should speed up their metabolism by doing what I do naturally (eating all the time but always healthy meals and in always having small snacks throughout the day; not eating much at a "meal time" at all, it's just more snack time).
    This probably has a lot to do with body type, too, though. You would gain weight if you still ate as often, but like 2000 calories more a day. I'm jealous.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

MBTI
    INXP

-Get enough sleep:
    The Dream Diet: Losing Weight While You Sleep

If you can't fall asleep, take 300-mcg melatonin before bedtime, which not only aids in falling asleep but also aids in regulating body weight.

-Drink enough water:
    Drinking Water - Drinking Water for Maintaining Good Health

-Consume enough calcium:
    Calcium and Weight: Clinical Studies -- Heaney et al. 21 (2): 152 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

-Decrease salt to eliminate water retention, especially if your face and ankles look puffy or if you experience bloating during PMS. (This won't help you to lose actual fat, just water, but can make a difference in your appearance.)

-Consume enough vitamin D:
    Dodging Weight Gain with Vitamin D

-Consume enough fiber:
    Dietary fiber and body weight. [Nutrition. 2005] - PubMed Result

-Consume enough omega-3 fatty acids:
    http://www.news-medical.net/?id=19135

-Divide your calories into multiple meals:
    Go Ask Alice!: One big meal versus many small meals a day

I eat two meals per day and have never been overweight, but the science indicates that eating frequent small meals is best for weight loss. I would suggest giving the mini-meals a try and then switching to two medium-sized meals if you find frequent eating to be too much of a bother.

-Never skip breakfast:
    For Your Weight Control Effort, Breakfast (Tufts Health & Nutrition Letter, March 2004)

-Eat high-fiber cereal or whole-grain quick breads for breakfast:
    The Effect of Breakfast Type on Total Daily Energy Intake and Body Mass Index: Results from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III) -- Cho et al. 22 (4): 296 -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

-Start a weight training program:
    Fitness For Women - Strength Training Takes 10 Years Off

I use #10 dumbbells.

-Do calisthenics to strengthen your back and abdominal muscles, giving you better posture, which can make you look slimmer.

If you can't get out to do aerobic exercise, read a chapter or two of an engrossing book while you pace around your house. (Clear a path first, if necessary.) The time will seem to pass quickly. Or dance while listening to music.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you could do what my grandma says! "if it tastes good, don't eat it"

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm..well, I'd say don't pay any attention to any of the diet plans out there.
    :-)

Basically, I think it's about balance. Don't eat too much of any one type of food. And don't purge entire food groups out of your diet, just out of the hope of losing weight.

I actually don't even like the concept of dieting. I view all of it as a lifestyle choice. So most people would probably think I'm perpetually on a 'diet', because of what and how I eat, but I don't view it that way.

I'm reasonably aware of the caloric content of everything I eat, so I know that a couple of handfuls of chips are going to equal quite a few extra calories, even though it doesn't seem like that much.

I eat meats, dairy, chocolate, veggies, quite a bit of fiber, rice, pastas...quite a lot! I don't eat many processed foods, though - I never buy chips, or cookies, or pop, or sugary fruit drinks. My liquids are water, milk, orange juice, and tea. That's pretty much it!

I also don't eat any deep-fried foods -- I used to not eat them for health reasons, and because they're high in fat -- but now, my stomach has rather an aversion for it, and I feel ill when I eat too many rich foods...so as a result of how I've been eating for a while, I actually find fried foods rather distasteful!!

At work, I *never* snack on the office munchies, or donuts people bring in occasionally. People don't understand this, but I don't 'need' the food.

I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and don't snack. However, like others have posted, it's actually probably better to do several smaller meals a day. But to me, the two methods would yield similar results, as long as you're keeping the calories the same with the two -- and as long as your more-frequent meals do not equate to more calories.

In my mind..if you're wanting to lose weight, decrease caloric intake by a bit, and increase exercise. It has to be both, and I think it also needs to be viewed as a lifestyle change, to be continued forever. So you need to figure out a lifestyle change that you actually like, and are happy with -- otherwise you won't be able to stick it out very long, and the weight may come back eventually.

So, say you currently eat about 2,500 calories a day. Try to decrease it to 2,000 initially, maybe. There are books out there that go into your weight/body mass index, and tell you your 'target range' for caloric content. You'd have to make sure it was above what your body needs to function (usually around 1,500 for women??), with extra calories for exercising, etc. You don't want to lower calories too much, because then your body will just go into more of a 'starvation mode' and metabolism will decrease sharply, which is what you wouldn't want. Plus, it's not healthy. Eating isn't 'bad' - it's just finding a balance, and a little more moderation.

But in general -- balance in what you eat, be attentive to your caloric intake, and figure out a way to lose weight that can actually be more enjoyable, and doesn't make you miserable. I think it's possible! :-)

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

hey Jen, was wondering how the gym and weight loss was going for you.

So in an effort to cut back my snacking and my love of cookies, I bought some dark chocolate, so yummy and so satisfying. What I have done is broken it into pieces and have 1/3 of the chocolate bar a day. But you see it satisfies the need for sugar therefore causing me to not try and fill the void with everything I find. This has worked for 3 days now. So I am gonna buy a few more bars and break them up and stick them in the freezer, it's a quick fix for the gotta have it need
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't mean to piss anyone off here, but I can't gain weight to save my life(I fear that it may become literal someday).

It makes no difference how much I eat or what I eat, so I've been spending a lot of time trying find a cause.

I can barely stand still. I always have to be moving.
    I guess most of the time I don't eat that much, but there have even been periods where I was intentionally stuffing my face to no result.
    I do lots and lots of exercise now, but that wouldn't explain why I was permanently skinny even before now.

It's just a mystery, and it's kind of weird to be in a world where everyone has the opposite problem. Especially since it means so many products are trying to become diet friendly.
    I don't need to diet! Give me nutrients...
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

What exactly is "lots and lots of exercise?"

You are probably an ectomorph, so you have a very high metabolism. It all comes down to calories consumed during the day. You obviously aren't getting enough. Try adding in 2 PB&J sandwiches at night, every night. Or...get weight gainer powder and make at least 1 shake a day. If this isn't enough, add more.