User Tag List

First 2345 Last

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Pthhft. I'm still using soap on hands and stuff.. I just mean the whole body experience. Forget your conditioning.. I'd say one is far cleaner by way of a long soak in hot water and no soap, than one is with a quick shower using soap.
    i'm just glad there's a long soak separating us.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Next plan : give up deodorant?
    Maybe you should give up social interaction first.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Since there doesn't seem to be a thread on skin care (both face and body) yet, don't worry- niffer will not have you forsaken!

Let the Q's and A's and amateur advice commence!!

------------------------------------

I will start:

I'm getting someone to buy me toner for my birthday
    The Body Shop - Toners
    Aside from the $9 whitening one and the one for old people, which one would you recommend for me?

About my skin-

- My nose used to peel a lot. It now rarely happens.
    I have combination skin (face is dry some parts and oily other parts) and have this problem too. I exfoliate and moisturize almost daily and have facials semi-regularly, yet this still happens more than I'd like. Can you pinpoint what part of your new routine you think helped?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ISTJ

Geoff's thoughts on epidermal care.

I gave up shampoo 17 months ago. No soap or shampoo has touched my hair in that time. After a week or so of oddity with the hair, ever since I've had perfect fluffy hair. As a result of no longer stripping the scalp and forcing it to over produce grease, my scalp has cleaned up.. and feels better.. no itching and any tendency to have dandruff has disappeared. So that's part one : healthy scalp by just washing your hair in hot clean water.

Secondly, I've been considering ditching soap wherever possible. Now, I dont want to be dirty or smelly, but I soak in a hot bath for a good hour every couple of days (maybe 4 times a week on average). I've found that a good long soak means I am clean without soap.. or if necessary I use just a tiny amount of soap. It's working well and I havent seen a spot in a long time.

Next plan : give up deodorant? I don't seem to sweat much, and I still react slightly to it on my skin. Difficulty : a trip to the gym will mean following up with a bath every time.. or maybe I just do any exercise. I also need to be extra careful I'm not stinky and don't realise.

Overall though, removing products from my life and just using lots of good clean hot water has worked wonders for my skin and hair.

Anyone would think we evolved to live without soaps, shampoos and moisturisers and yet still be attractive and clean
    That's great. I've tried not washing my hair, but it didn't go so well. Then I tried only washing with baking soda/powder and that didn't go so well either. The shampoo I use now have no parabens though, so at least it's better than regular brands.
    I don't use soap either (and I shower every day and don't stink) and the deoderant I use is all natural and paraben free.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    That's great. I've tried not washing my hair, but it didn't go so well. Then I tried only washing with baking soda/powder and that didn't go so well either. The shampoo I use now have no parabens though, so at least it's better than regular brands.
    I don't use soap either (and I shower every day and don't stink) and the deoderant I use is all natural and paraben free.
    Ah! Right..it's good to hear its not just me. I'm lucky in that the water where I live is very hard, so it's like the baking soda version. Camille (from INTPC) and I gave up shampoo at the same time, and she has long hair and apparently it's worked very well. It's easy for me as my hair is very short. There's some good information about going shampoo free out there (apparently lemon juice works well mixed with the water, too). The trick for me is to ensure it is washed every day in clean water.

The soap I dont find I am missing.. I work in an office, and I dont seem to sweat, as with you I end up clean as a result. Of course, it's a necessity for hygiene reasons with washrooms etc.

The deodorant I haven't tried giving up yet, and I expect individual results really vary.. What I've found though is that I often just don't need it, it's not very scientific, but I've been forced to give it a break a few days a number of times due to allergic reactions to pretty much any brand, and I've never found myself sweaty. And yes, I've sought independent views on that fact

Did Geoff The Pruny tell us why he's chosen this path in life, or do I have to ask?
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Did Geoff The Pruny tell us why he's chosen this path in life, or do I have to ask?
    Ah! well.. partly Camille (INTPC) wanted to try it and I decided to try it too.. as an eco hippy kind of thing. And also partly because shampoos kept making my scalp break out in little lumps and I would get dandruff. Dropping shampoo from the list and just using lots of clean water has way improved my scalp epidermis!

The minimising of soap is because.. well.. it's another artificial substance, made from petroleum and fats, that the body doesn't need. I use anti-bacterial for my hands though.

The deodorant I am considering because I dont think I need it, and again my skin breaks out whichever form i try. The lesser of two evils!

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I have combination skin (face is dry some parts and oily other parts) and have this problem too. I exfoliate and moisturize almost daily and have facials semi-regularly, yet this still happens more than I'd like. Can you pinpoint what part of your new routine you think helped?
    Basically, don't wash your face too often with cleansers- once a day is enough for me (water is okay), and whenever you do (even with water), moisturize an assload after. And drink more water.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Olive oil is cheap and effective for dry skin.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Olive oil is cheap and effective for dry skin.
    Amen.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...