• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your epidermis is showing!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Bluebell--toner is sort of an unnecessary step. You can use it if you like it, but I've never found that it did anything a cleanser/moisturizer combo didn't do, and it doesn't really take the place of either. I always felt like it was just a waste of money.

That was kind of my conclusion too, but wasn't sure if I was missing something or not (only got in to this stuff in the past few years, having always dismissed it as marketing BS, but then found that some of it does actually work).

My skin is stupidly sensitive. I've found Garnier's sensitive skin range works well for me. Weekly mud masks are good too, but I usually forget/can't be bothered for months at a time.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Ladies, ladies, it must come from the inside out. Lots of olive oil and oily fish in your diet will be far more effective than the creams. In the long run.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Ooh, good tips, Tallulah. You're so practical. My skin is dry/sensitive and I think I have big pores.

Kiss My Face products.

THE END.

I've seen those! For the first time ever in the store the other day, actually. I definitely wanted some; they looked too enticing, but also expensive.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Mempy, you know what, I use the Underage moisturizer and it's too wonderful. The tube is small but it goes a long way, a relatively small dab covers your whole face.
And it's all natural stuff.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If you want something really interesting about the toxic stuff in cosmetics you should go to a site called Environmental Working Group. Once in, click on 'Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database' (with a picture of nail polish next to it)
You can type in nearly any product and they'll tell you what's in it and how toxic the product is. It's shocking!

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
And I tend to dismiss everything else that "nourishes", "hydrates", "refreshes", "reverses aging", "natural", "organic", sciency sounding buzzwords like "cellular level cleansing" and "regeneration" and medical sounding prefixes like "micro" and "bio", and those are just the tip of the iceberg. The marketing bullshit is pervasive.
I always loved the commercials for some haircare product (I don't even know what) that showed the little vitamin capsules flowing into the model's hair.

We had an awesome home economics teacher in 8th grade. She gave everyone a (very short) list of the chemicals that actually do anything in personal care products, and what they each do. And belabored the point that wheatgerm oil, honeysuckle, beer, koala tears, etc. have absolutely no effect on anything.

Back on the original discussion, I personally like WD-40.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Geoff's thoughts on epidermal care.

I gave up shampoo 17 months ago. No soap or shampoo has touched my hair in that time. After a week or so of oddity with the hair, ever since I've had perfect fluffy hair. As a result of no longer stripping the scalp and forcing it to over produce grease, my scalp has cleaned up.. and feels better.. no itching and any tendency to have dandruff has disappeared. So that's part one : healthy scalp by just washing your hair in hot clean water.

Secondly, I've been considering ditching soap wherever possible. Now, I dont want to be dirty or smelly, but I soak in a hot bath for a good hour every couple of days (maybe 4 times a week on average). I've found that a good long soak means I am clean without soap.. or if necessary I use just a tiny amount of soap. It's working well and I havent seen a spot in a long time.

Next plan : give up deodorant? I don't seem to sweat much, and I still react slightly to it on my skin. Difficulty : a trip to the gym will mean following up with a bath every time.. or maybe I just do any exercise. I also need to be extra careful I'm not stinky and don't realise.

Overall though, removing products from my life and just using lots of good clean hot water has worked wonders for my skin and hair.

Anyone would think we evolved to live without soaps, shampoos and moisturisers and yet still be attractive and clean ;)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

Pthhft. I'm still using soap on hands and stuff.. I just mean the whole body experience. Forget your conditioning.. I'd say one is far cleaner by way of a long soak in hot water and no soap, than one is with a quick shower using soap.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Pthhft. I'm still using soap on hands and stuff.. I just mean the whole body experience. Forget your conditioning.. I'd say one is far cleaner by way of a long soak in hot water and no soap, than one is with a quick shower using soap.

i'm just glad there's a long soak separating us.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Since there doesn't seem to be a thread on skin care (both face and body) yet, don't worry- niffer will not have you forsaken! :smile:

Let the Q's and A's and amateur advice commence!!

:jew:
------------------------------------

I will start:

I'm getting someone to buy me toner for my birthday :D
The Body Shop - Toners
Aside from the $9 whitening one and the one for old people, which one would you recommend for me?

About my skin-

- My nose used to peel a lot. It now rarely happens.
I have combination skin (face is dry some parts and oily other parts) and have this problem too. I exfoliate and moisturize almost daily and have facials semi-regularly, yet this still happens more than I'd like. Can you pinpoint what part of your new routine you think helped?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Geoff's thoughts on epidermal care.

I gave up shampoo 17 months ago. No soap or shampoo has touched my hair in that time. After a week or so of oddity with the hair, ever since I've had perfect fluffy hair. As a result of no longer stripping the scalp and forcing it to over produce grease, my scalp has cleaned up.. and feels better.. no itching and any tendency to have dandruff has disappeared. So that's part one : healthy scalp by just washing your hair in hot clean water.

Secondly, I've been considering ditching soap wherever possible. Now, I dont want to be dirty or smelly, but I soak in a hot bath for a good hour every couple of days (maybe 4 times a week on average). I've found that a good long soak means I am clean without soap.. or if necessary I use just a tiny amount of soap. It's working well and I havent seen a spot in a long time.

Next plan : give up deodorant? I don't seem to sweat much, and I still react slightly to it on my skin. Difficulty : a trip to the gym will mean following up with a bath every time.. or maybe I just do any exercise. I also need to be extra careful I'm not stinky and don't realise.

Overall though, removing products from my life and just using lots of good clean hot water has worked wonders for my skin and hair.

Anyone would think we evolved to live without soaps, shampoos and moisturisers and yet still be attractive and clean ;)

That's great. I've tried not washing my hair, but it didn't go so well. Then I tried only washing with baking soda/powder and that didn't go so well either. The shampoo I use now have no parabens though, so at least it's better than regular brands.
I don't use soap either (and I shower every day and don't stink) and the deoderant I use is all natural and paraben free.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
That's great. I've tried not washing my hair, but it didn't go so well. Then I tried only washing with baking soda/powder and that didn't go so well either. The shampoo I use now have no parabens though, so at least it's better than regular brands.
I don't use soap either (and I shower every day and don't stink) and the deoderant I use is all natural and paraben free.

Ah! Right..it's good to hear its not just me. I'm lucky in that the water where I live is very hard, so it's like the baking soda version. Camille (from INTPC) and I gave up shampoo at the same time, and she has long hair and apparently it's worked very well. It's easy for me as my hair is very short. There's some good information about going shampoo free out there (apparently lemon juice works well mixed with the water, too). The trick for me is to ensure it is washed every day in clean water.

The soap I dont find I am missing.. I work in an office, and I dont seem to sweat, as with you I end up clean as a result. Of course, it's a necessity for hygiene reasons with washrooms etc.

The deodorant I haven't tried giving up yet, and I expect individual results really vary.. What I've found though is that I often just don't need it, it's not very scientific, but I've been forced to give it a break a few days a number of times due to allergic reactions to pretty much any brand, and I've never found myself sweaty. And yes, I've sought independent views on that fact ;)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Did Geoff The Pruny tell us why he's chosen this path in life, or do I have to ask?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Did Geoff The Pruny tell us why he's chosen this path in life, or do I have to ask?

Ah! well.. partly Camille (INTPC) wanted to try it and I decided to try it too.. as an eco hippy kind of thing. And also partly because shampoos kept making my scalp break out in little lumps and I would get dandruff. Dropping shampoo from the list and just using lots of clean water has way improved my scalp epidermis!

The minimising of soap is because.. well.. it's another artificial substance, made from petroleum and fats, that the body doesn't need. I use anti-bacterial for my hands though.

The deodorant I am considering because I dont think I need it, and again my skin breaks out whichever form i try. The lesser of two evils!

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have combination skin (face is dry some parts and oily other parts) and have this problem too. I exfoliate and moisturize almost daily and have facials semi-regularly, yet this still happens more than I'd like. Can you pinpoint what part of your new routine you think helped?

Basically, don't wash your face too often with cleansers- once a day is enough for me (water is okay), and whenever you do (even with water), moisturize an assload after. And drink more water.