User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFx

Default Tummy-flattening

I've been wondering for sometime now but didn't really want to ask. But, anyway, what the heck:

Does constantly holding in the stomach muscles help at all in keeping the abs flatter? Even just a little?

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

I don't know about flattening, but it certainly helps with posture.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    INFP

I would think not. You will tone the muscles, but there will still be fat on top. Cardio should take care of that fat.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I would think not. You will tone the muscles, but there will still be fat on top. Cardio should take care of that fat.
    Yeah, true. Burning more calories than you take in is the only way to lose fat, and it's not specific to any area on your body. If you're already at 10% body fat and just want a six-pack, do incline sit-ups or something.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

HOLD on now. When you do pilates, yoga, and everything, they ALWAYS tell you tighten your core. You get more of a workout from it.. Also, plenty of chick magazines tell you that easy sitting-at-your-desk workouts include drawing your stomach in and holding it while functioning normally.

I think that it's not what will keep your stomach flat, but the effort put into this DOES work out the back of the ab muscles which DOES aid some in flattening it out. ^_^b
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    HOLD on now. When you do pilates, yoga, and everything, they ALWAYS tell you tighten your core. You get more of a workout from it.. Also, plenty of chick magazines tell you that easy sitting-at-your-desk workouts include drawing your stomach in and holding it while functioning normally.

I think that it's not what will keep your stomach flat, but the effort put into this DOES work out the back of the ab muscles which DOES aid some in flattening it out. ^_^b
    Shame on you! Reading chick mags. They fill your head with junk imo. Superficial ideals and such. :P
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, true. Burning more calories than you take in is the only way to lose fat, and it's not specific to any area on your body. If you're already at 10% body fat and just want a six-pack, do incline sit-ups or something.
    x2 (if the OP is male).

A woman's hormonal functions and ability to bear children mean that her body fat percentages are decidedly higher. If you're female and just aiming for a flat belly, it's cardio as mentioned several times above (input less than output; basic chemistry). If you're female and you want visible abs, this may not be possible without steroids.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    x2 (if the OP is male).
    Isn't.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Ahh, yes...the first law of thermodynamics. It's so simple, yet many people just don't understand it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Isn't.
    Any female that has 10% body fat is ridiculously incredibly thin.
    (Wikipedia)
    According to Health Check Systems,[2] The American Council on Exercise[3] has categorized ranges of body fat percentages as follows:
    Description Women Men
    Essential fat 1215% 25%
    Athletes 1620% 613%
    Fitness 2124% 1417%
    Acceptable 2531% 1825%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

Note that the essential fat values in the chart above are lower than the recommended minimum body fat percentage levels
    . A small amount of storage fat is required to be available as fuel for the body in time of need.[1] It is unclear whether falling in a particular category of these body fat percentages is better for one's health than any other, but there seem to be enhancements in athletic performance as one nears the ideal body fat percentage range for one's particular sport. The leanest athletes typically compete at levels of about 58% for men; however, it is 1015% for women.[4]
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis