User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    HOLD on now. When you do pilates, yoga, and everything, they ALWAYS tell you tighten your core. You get more of a workout from it.. Also, plenty of chick magazines tell you that easy sitting-at-your-desk workouts include drawing your stomach in and holding it while functioning normally.

I think that it's not what will keep your stomach flat, but the effort put into this DOES work out the back of the ab muscles which DOES aid some in flattening it out. ^_^b
    It won't make a visible difference.

The reason to work the core is 1) to increase your core strength, naturally, but is important to note because it increases the body's ability to do nearly any activity and 2) form the muscle groups for appearance.

However, in order for 2) to be show up, the fat in that area must be minimal enough to show the muscle. No amount of core workout will show the muscle definition, and definition in itself does not occupy enough space to make a visible difference (to generalise, it is normally the opposite).

They are not bad excersizes, but they will do little to nothing for physical appearance. The only relationship would be an extremely slight increase in calories consumed by doing those excersizes, plus the additional burn from having more muscle mass. Both are minimal at best and won't make a tangible difference.

As far as cardio, do all types of excersize, including Anaerobic and strength training. Over training in one is not a effective all around, including various risks. In the long run though, only the consumption of fat (ie: aerobic/cardio + less calorie) will be the direct way of doing it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Any female that has 10% body fat is ridiculously incredibly thin.
    I was aiming for exactly that in regard of "A weight at which no weight should be lost."

MBTI
    ISTx

Visible abs = low BF% and/or good genes. Some people just can't keep that small layer of fat off the stomach unless they were to become unhealthily skinny because that's the first place any trace of weight is stored.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I was aiming for exactly that in regard of "A weight at which no weight should be lost."
    Ah. My apologies then.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    GONE

Wiki chart on body fat
    Thanks for that. And yes, what everyone says here is true. Everyone technically has muscle and a '6 pack' some just have more developed musculuture than others and especially lower body fat.

Professional body builders have a systematic way of crash dieting before competitions to drastically reduce their body fat. That's how they show off the muscle -- not pumping more iron but just shedding the fat that sits on top of muscle so you can actually see the muscle underneath.

I'm aiming for 20 percent body fat and I'll see how I look. Genetically, I've always had a higher body fat percentage, so I feel I look bigger than I am. Annoying!
    Last edited by Geoff; 10-26-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fixed error.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wiki chart on body fat
    Thanks for that. And yes, what everyone says here is true. Everyone technically has muscle and a '6 pack' some just have more developed musculuture than others and especially lower body fat.

Professional body builders have a systematic way of crash dieting before competitions to drastically reduce their body fat. That's how they show off the muscle -- not pumping more iron but just shedding the fat that sits on top of muscle so you can actually see the muscle underneath.

I'm aiming for 20 percent body fat and I'll see how I look. Genetically, I've always had a higher body fat percentage, so I feel I look bigger than I am. Annoying!
    My brother has a 7 pack. He's had it for years. It's really funny.

(Really he has an 8 pack with one side not visibly showing the 8th ab.)
    Last edited by Geoff; 10-26-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed error
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It won't make a visible difference.

The reason to work the core is 1) to increase your core strength, naturally, but is important to note because it increases the body's ability to do nearly any activity and 2) form the muscle groups for appearance.

However, in order for 2) to be show up, the fat in that area must be minimal enough to show the muscle. No amount of core workout will show the muscle definition, and definition in itself does not occupy enough space to make a visible difference (to generalise, it is normally the opposite).

They are not bad excersizes, but they will do little to nothing for physical appearance. The only relationship would be an extremely slight increase in calories consumed by doing those excersizes, plus the additional burn from having more muscle mass. Both are minimal at best and won't make a tangible difference.

As far as cardio, do all types of excersize, including Anaerobic and strength training. Over training in one is not a effective all around, including various risks. In the long run though, only the consumption of fat (ie: aerobic/cardio + less calorie) will be the direct way of doing it.
    In my disclaimer I added that it's not the only thing that helps in flattening a tummy.. but the OP asked if it was even a liiiittle bit helpful. Everyone was slapping it down with "NORAWR !! Body fat, in the kitchen, with the knife!!" The fact is any effort you put toward working a muscle group helps period, and is better than nothing.. was sorta the point I was trying to make.

Beat = Also correct. The flattest my tummy has ever been, I still had a bit of fat on it, and my muscles were only slightly visible, as I'm incapable of losing that much weight without being unhealthy. My legs also have trouble losing weight.. and I'm called by 'friends' "Frog Legs" because even when I was in great shape, my legs were the same size.. just the difference between the amount of size was muscle to fat.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

if im correct holding your stomach in technically will work your transverse abdominis. crunches are always good. planks/bridges are freaking amazing. sprinting will cut fat and strengthen abs. i like to do chin ups while holding my legs parallel to the floor. you could do cable crunches. v situps. reverse crunches. there are a ton of different ab exercises. abs are mostly diet though also.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, true. Burning more calories than you take in is the only way to lose fat, and it's not specific to any area on your body. If you're already at 10% body fat and just want a six-pack, do incline sit-ups or something.
    Incline is definitely the way to go. I think it keeps the muscles from becoming bulky looking. The other way is to hold the lower half of your body off of an incline and bring your legs up to your chest. You will need some strength for that though.

Abs will never show if fat is covering the area.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

sprinting will strip fat away much faster then long distance. and it will build up your core quite nicely. and if you do end up with a six pack, it will look much more athletic then it will bulky.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1