User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Moods

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Uh oh, two INFP's going at each other?! I've never seen this in the wild before, goddammit where's my binocs?
    Relax. It's happened before and it will happen again. :rolli:

Banned
    MBTI
    type

YES, RELAX. NOW.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I'll try to relax.... at least until Anja delivers her devastating counter punch.

MBTI
    INxJ

Moody? Not really.

Anja
    There are a lot of people who don't understand that the feelings come from them and belong to them.
    And, yeah, it is their responsibility to deal with them!
    Some people never get it and spend their lives with their mood state dependent on other people's behavior. Not a good place to be.

heart
    If I am living with someone or being a co-worker and I am perpetually in a bad mood, venting anger, venting sadness or being constantly critical I will be affecting the people around me. To deny this is, is to be irresponsible and narcissistic.

You both do seem to be saying the same thing. Your angles or point of focus are slightly different.

anja You are responsible for controlling your moods.

heart Irresponsibility in controlling your moods is wrong.

Am I right?

The middle way is the right way.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post

Am I right?
    That's not all. There is something like a big principle here: Anja thinks that you alone are responsible for your feeling. I think like this sometimes when applying morals on myself (For example, it is pointless for me to blame other people for how my life is. I am the only one who can change it). Heart on the other hand says that you can't be responsible for your feelings completely, since there are people who poison the atmosphere. This also means that you are responsible for other people's feelings. I actually agree more with Heart's way of thinking since it would be silly of me (and probably harmful to me) to blame myself for feeling miserable if I was in a poisonous atmosphere. The thing I should blame myself about is that I don't leave, or do something to make the atmosphere better.

Somehow I think that both Anja and Heart have learned their attitude through experience, which means they are not easily convinced otherwise.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

My mood is pretty consistent. I have my moments (like in the morning, which is the time when I'm most likely to hate the world), but for the most part I stay in one mid-level mood range without deviating to extremes very often. It usually takes a very significant event to get me into a funk, and I rarely feel outright jubilant for more than a few seconds after experiencing something wonderful.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    That's not all. There is something like a big principle here: Anja thinks that you alone are responsible for your feeling. I think like this sometimes when applying morals on myself (For example, it is pointless for me to blame other people for how my life is. I am the only one who can change it). Heart on the other hand says that you can't be responsible for your feelings completely, since there are people who poison the atmosphere. This also means that you are responsible for other people's feelings. I actually agree more with Heart's way of thinking since it would be silly of me (and probably harmful to me) to blame myself for feeling miserable if I was in a poisonous atmosphere. The thing I should blame myself about is that I don't leave, or do something to make the atmosphere better.

Somehow I think that both Anja and Heart have learned their attitude through experience, which means they are not easily convinced otherwise.
    It depends on how you look at the word responsible. Responsibility means the ability to respond to me. It's not whether or not the environment has affected the situation but my ability to respond.
    Responsibility can be used to mean blame and accountability or the ability to take initiative.

I agree with both of them.

No matter how thin you slice it there's always two sides.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Anja
    There are a lot of people who don't understand that the feelings come from them and belong to them.
    And, yeah, it is their responsibility to deal with them!
    Some people never get it and spend their lives with their mood state dependent on other people's behavior. Not a good place to be.

heart
    If I am living with someone or being a co-worker and I am perpetually in a bad mood, venting anger, venting sadness or being constantly critical I will be affecting the people around me. To deny this is, is to be irresponsible and narcissistic.

You both do seem to be saying the same thing. Your angles or point of focus are slightly different.

Am I right?

The middle way is the right way.
    I'm pretty sure what heart was saying is...... yeah I'm responsible for my own feelings, but sometimes a person I am with can be so toxic that they truly do make me feel bad, and it is their fault that I feel bad.

I agree with heart that such a thing can happen, especially if a person is an "F". I have an ENFJ son, and part of his profile reads that he will feel bad if other kids in the class get yelled at. If he's in an environment with negativity, it will affect him.

I've heard that stuff before for "taking responsibility for your own feelings". My mother is a perfect example of someone always blaming me for her feelings. Was she not the adult in charge?! Was she not the mature person in authority over me?! Was she not the only person who had real control and power?! Yet I am to blame for "making her mad"?! I don't think so. After I became I mother, I found out it is my responsibility to teach my kids to obey. Her bad mothering skills were not my fault.

Another fine example of blaming other people for your feelings is the way the stereotypical wife beater will say, "It's your fault I hit you because you made me mad." That's just wrong.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    ...If he's in an environment with negativity, it will affect him.
    ^I don't do well with that either. Especially if there's nothing I can do about it, it affects me physically ime. Yesterday I was trying to have a nice quiet lunch and I was seated near a mother and daughter having a very nasty argument, bleh, it actually took away my appetite.

I am not outwardly moody and my mood never really runs to outright anger much. But I think I inhabit a lot of feeling states during the day.... and I try to cultivate certain states too, (mostly the feeling of being happy to be alive and connected to the world.)