Thread: Moods

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    My moods are consistent especially outwardly when interacting with other people. What affects me the most are physiological factors like low blood sugar and being over tired. I have some anxiety issues, but don't tend to indulge moods because I really want to be consistent and coherent in my thoughts and actions. In some ways it makes me unchallenging to interact with which has some positive and negative results.
    same on everything! Blood sugar, fatigue, anxiety. I've found quick fixes and longterm fixes for all of them, though. So my moods are pretty stable. I dont think there is anything wrong with being unchallenging to interact with.
    Hmmm.. choosing to interact with someone
    level headed happy go lucky person
    or low blood sugar anxious tired bitch.

Which would you choose?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I usually spend days alternating between satisfied, tired, focused, irritated and happy. When sadness or full-on anger or frustration enter the picture, I always feel like I'm being moody, even when my emotions are justified.

On almost every profile I've read on ESTJs, it says that we struggle with feelings of anger. I'd say that's true with me, only since I'm a female ESTJ, sometimes that anger manifests itself in almost crying/getting choked up out of frustration fairly often. It really pisses me off that I do that, even though I only do in front of family members or close friends.

Other times my anger is more... traditional... and it freaks people out. I tend to feel like I've unleashed a monster or something, even though when I get mad, I don't yell or throw things; I just fume. I feel really bad that this happens at all, even though it happens, at the most, once every two months.

Also (probably because of my inferior F), I unintentionally keep a lot of my negative feelings inside. (That's probably why I'm a generally cheerful and happy person.) However, when I'm around friends of mine who like to talk about their feelings or the feelings of others (specifically my ENTP friend), and I feel obligated to pitch in, those feelings resurface, and as a result I usually end up feeling terrible - sad, drained, etc. Sometimes when something bad happens, I get lost in my own head and brood on other past mistakes, most of them insignificant but for some reason still embarassing to me.

In a nutshell, I don't think that I am moody, exactly, or at least overly/abnormally so, but I often feel like I am.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INxJ

Not really moody. I get bouts of irritation, but that's as far as it goes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Moods

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I'm so moody that my mom once thought I was mildly bipolar. I think it's due to an oscillation between Ne-dom and Fi-dom. The former is the chipper enthusiastic "high," and the latter the angsty melancholic "low." Horray for moodiness!
    I actually do have bipolar--as I've been too open about in this forum--and it's far from mild. My moods are extreme and a cycle can last for six months. What I've learned, though, is that while my moodiness is caused by a physically different brain, my thoughts affect my mood just like anyone else. If I feel myself getting wound up over something and let it go on long enough, it will trigger a mood episode. I've also become familiar with what kinds of stress are more likely to trigger me and learned to avoid them whenever possible (it's not always possible; e.g., friends and loved ones die unexpectedly and there's not a damn thing I can do about it).

I have some choice about how I act during mood episodes as well. I can and do let people know that when I'm experiencing irritable mood (often a component of hypomania or mania) that it has nothing to do with them or else I isolate myself as much as possible till it passes. When impulsivity strikes--if I realize I'm hypomanic, say, it's easier to resist the impulse. It's harder to control my need to chatter, to be "on" when I'm up, but I can usually keep from dumping my negativity on people when depressed. Luckily, I mostly surround myself with people who are either moody themselves (this can backfire) or who at least have a good understanding of mood, so I can just say I'm depressed and they won't make too many social demands when I'm at ebb tide. Sometimes they'll notice the beginning of a mood change even before I do and say something like you're getting hyper/obssessive/compulsive about stuff. It gives me a heads-up and also helps me stop the behavior that elicited the comment in the first place.
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFP

Default Moods

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I'm so moody that my mom once thought I was mildly bipolar. I think it's due to an oscillation between Ne-dom and Fi-dom. The former is the chipper enthusiastic "high," and the latter the angsty melancholic "low." Horray for moodiness!
    I do have bipolar--as I've been probably too open about in this forum--and it isn't mild. My moods are extreme and a cycle can last six months (a few up to a year).

Over the years I've learned that while the chemical component of my moods make them seem beyond my control, they do begin with thoughts. I can now feel myself getting wound up about something and know if I let my thoughts continue to spin out of control, I'm likely to set off a mood. Same with certain stressors that are almost guaranteed to trigger a mood, so I try to avoid those, though it's not always possible (e.g., friends and loved ones die unexpectedly and there's not a damn thing I can do about it).

I've also gained at least a modicum of control over my behaviors during a mood episode. When I have irritable mood syndrome (often a component ofhypomania or mania), I let people know it has nothing to do with them. Since I tend to surround myself with people who understand moods quite well, they usually seem to get it when I say this. Same with depression. If I say I'm depressed, intimates will usually not make a lot of social demands on me when I'm at ebb tide. When impulsivity strikes, if I know I'm, say, hypomanic, the impulse is easier to resist. It's harder not to chatter and be "on" when I'm up.

I think the real polarity of bipolar--and moods in general--is social energy. When we're up, we have lots, for whatever reason and feeling down has to do with being drained of--or at least low on--social energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Creativity needs passion and that comes from emotion
    This is where my rather extreme emotions come in handy and where I try to channel them.
    Last edited by cherchair; 12-06-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: part of post left out
    It's a blessing...and a curse.

Originally Posted by Anja
    I don't have room for shame in my life.

INFJ, 4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ Extraordinaire View Post
    ..the internet is a cow as far as i am concerned, so isolating...
    It depends how you write.

If you treat it as a normal conversation, you will write in the conversational style.

Unfortunately the conversational style depends on visual clues and auditory tone, not to mention body language.

So if you write in the conversational style on the internet, you can expect to be isolated and cut off.

Compare the internet to the telephone.

Although the telephone looses visual clues it does keep auditory clues for context.

In fact a telephone conversation is quite different from a face to face conversation. But we don't feel isolated and alone on the phone because we talk in the telephone style. And it works.

But here on the internet everyone talks in the conversational style as though they were talking face to face. And it doesn't work.

But take a tip from me.

Keep on repeating the same style, in the hope you will get a different result.