User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Moods

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Word. Very Zen. I would like to know what happens when someone does something you see like an outrageous break of your moral code. (Because there must be a line after which the zen attitude is cast aside)
    I promise you I don't live in a state of zen I just put things in perspective and determine if they're worth getting upset over. Like you say reactions can often seem to come from an unnoticed/unconscious place and most people just flow with that, Iíve been making a point to actively recognise my negative reactions as soon as they happen for a long time now so it's become second nature to realise I'm getting antsy as soon as it happens and take a step back. The result is when I see something of great concern I get less upset than I used to and for a shorter period, my moods are pretty even under the surface.

MBTI
    INFP

Remember the film "Meatballs?"

Bill Murray is the leader of the "losers" group. They are failing at their attempts to win games. He gets them all together in a cabin and they start chanting this silly chant over and over.

"It just doesn't matter! It just doesn't matter!"

Silly, but sometimes true. It's been my experience that many things which have bothered me in my life ultimately haven't mattered one whit in the larger view.

Live in the moment, but don't dwell in it!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

To me this idea of being able to put things in perspective is admirable and a good goal but it also has some negative sides in it. Say I put everything in perspective. Nothing matters really. It gets close to cynicism. I feel it's not the same, but still... thinking from that perspective, someone beats me up or a girl dumps me or I am humiliated in front of someone I care or anything like that. If I am good at seeing it from that perspective it doesn't matter. And then I would have to ask myself if it matters to me to be respected by my friends or if my feelings for that girl meant anything or does it matter to me to feel safe when walking on the street. Where do I stop? I really despise cynicism and if there is a way that brings me closer to being a cynic, I don't wanna go there.

MBTI
    INFP

Maybe instead of using the word "cynical" you could substitute "realistic."

I heard a neat quote by Ernest Hemmingway on the radio this morning.

It echoes Neitsche's remark that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Hemingway said something to the effect that life breaks all men and that some of those men are strong in their broken places.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    No. Those are very different words. You can be realistic and happy at the same time. Can't be happy cynic. What I was saying was that I might accidentally kill all of my feelings, not only the bad ones. How can I be realistic about my moods or my future or my past, anyway..? There is no realism when we talk about my reactions to annoying people, or people in general. Either I care or I don't. So.. it would be like a spectrum of attitudes with one end in cynicism and one end in hate and love and all that. Which way do I want to be?

I don't know maybe I'm out of topic. It just seems like this very simple looking question keeps getting bigger.

Hemingway said something to the effect that life breaks all men and that some of those men are strong in their broken places.
    Yeah, I tend to think this way.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    To me this idea of being able to put things in perspective is admirable and a good goal but it also has some negative sides in it. Say I put everything in perspective. Nothing matters really. It gets close to cynicism. I feel it's not the same, but still... thinking from that perspective, someone beats me up or a girl dumps me or I am humiliated in front of someone I care or anything like that. If I am good at seeing it from that perspective it doesn't matter. And then I would have to ask myself if it matters to me to be respected by my friends or if my feelings for that girl meant anything or does it matter to me to feel safe when walking on the street. Where do I stop? I really despise cynicism and if there is a way that brings me closer to being a cynic, I don't wanna go there.
    Cynical isn't a good thing.

I love passion and passionate people and don't suggest apathy is a healthy option, caring is good, I'm simply suggesting not reacting too quickly without considering the outcome of your reaction. Feel moved to anger about a situation, ok, rather than imploding or exploding and allowing it to control you, take those feelings/thoughts and let them dissipate into something productive.

MBTI
    ENTP

I heard a neat quote by Ernest Hemmingway on the radio this morning.

It echoes Neitsche's remark that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Yea, but Hemingway blew his brains out and Nietzsche went crazy and died of syphilis, so take what they say with a grain of salt. There's a fine line between being philosophical and being a drama queen (them, not you).
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP

As I typed, I thought of the irony that those particular people were not able to live by their good ideas. But people's despair does not necessarily negate the verity of their words. The mentally ill can have useful ideas as their lives proved.

There's the difference between feeling and acting, I think.

nolla, often your responses are initially contrary, although I hear the interest behind the words. Perhaps you have developed a habit of thinking from a negative point of view?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

nolla, often your responses are initially contrary, although I hear the interest behind the words. Perhaps you have developed a habit of thinking from a negative point of view?

Contrary of what?

Thinking negatively... hmm... I can't see it myself (but that's no wonder) but if I am, then it could be because problems are something worth thinking about. Whenever I feel fine about something, it's nice and I don't have to think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My highs and lows never get extreme, I won't have a cryathon if I'm sad and I won't get obnoxious if I'm happy. If I'm experiencing either of those emotions, you might just have to ask me to know cuz I'm not the most expressive gal. But don't be fooled by my cool exterior, I feel deeply.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)