User Tag List

12 Last

beyondaurora

Question Realization with verbalization

Do any of you have these "aha!" moments where you say something out loud and all of a sudden you think, "oh my god, that's what I've been feeling!"?

I've noticed that I will carry around feelings about something (could be for days, months, years!), and I can introspect all I want about them, but it takes actually verbalizing them, talking them through out loud, to actually come to any realization of what I've been feeling.

beyondaurora

Guess I'm the only one...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I could say "Yes?"

A bit ambiguous.

MBTI
    INTP

I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

beyondaurora

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.
    Aimahn, thank you for proving that not all INTP's give short sentence fragments for answers in which they either flatly disagree with or criticize your posts without the least bit of elaboration.

beyondaurora

After some reading, I'm convinced these types of occurrences are simply a characteristic of extraversion.

Can any extraverts confirm this?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    After some reading, I'm convinced these types of occurrences are simply a characteristic of extraversion.
    Maybe it's Se? Just a wild guess.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

I recognized how useful verbalization was in reaching realizations for myself. At the same time, I try to also be careful about what I verbalize since, to me, saying it out loud makes it more real then it would inside my head. Meaning, I don't want to create any peculiar self-fulfilling prophecies because I am verbalizing negative thoughts (so, I try to stick to happier ones instead..).

I remember reading about how speaking what you are thinking/feeling helps to relieve 'pressure' in the brain -- like little pins are poking into all parts of your brain and when verbalizing a specific thought or feeling you are able to remove one of those pins. So, on rare occasions when I am frustrated I speak will out loud the feelings I am having, "I am so upset at xyz! It makes me feel abc!" It seems to both acknowledge and retrieve the thoughts swirling about in the head.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If it helps, I read every part of that and totally agreed. I just recently had an Aha moment on things I couldn't put my finger on for a couple weeks straight. A bit hurtful, the moment itself, but now that I know what it is (as in, I have an explanation that covesr all bases in my head) I can start identifying the fixes for it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Do any of you have these "aha!" moments where you say something out loud and all of a sudden you think, "oh my god, that's what I've been feeling!"?
    Sometimes when discussing something there is this kind of feeling. Like I just picked the perfect word to describe something that has been more hazy concept in my head. On the other hand, it might also be that someone else says the exact right word and then I realize it is perfect for what I was thinking.