User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    Senior Member niffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.
    Yeah same here.

    I find that I usually take my initial thoughts/feelings too seriously. Once I actually write them out, say them or outline them in some way, it often makes me feel foolish.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

  2. #12
    Senior Member bluebell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.
    Yep, that's pretty much what it's like for me. I struggle to verbalise things at the best of times. Writing/typing is easier than speaking but I can never quite seem to capture my thinking. Occasionally I work out something by talking through things with people, but that's the exception.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

  3. #13
    Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    697

    Default

    I've had several occasions where I only noticed that what I was thinking about was bullshit when I started writing it out. I've also had times when my writing fueled further development of my ideas. I can usually write stuff on the spot. I'm not as good at speaking, for some reason. I wonder why? The two involve the same process, choosing words. It's not even that I'm given a longer period of time to think when I'm writing.... The words just flow.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Anja's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    2,967

    Default

    Rather than what I am feeling, it is what I am thinking, which becomes more organized/clear with verbalization.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Do any of you have these "aha!" moments where you say something out loud and all of a sudden you think, "oh my god, that's what I've been feeling!"?

    I've noticed that I will carry around feelings about something (could be for days, months, years!), and I can introspect all I want about them, but it takes actually verbalizing them, talking them through out loud, to actually come to any realization of what I've been feeling.
    Not really. I understand my feelings by paying attention to my body. Talking about my feelings feels like setting them in stone when they are much more fluid.

  6. #16
    beyondaurora
    Guest

    Default

    Although Jennifer didn't post in this thread, her response from this thread is exactly what I'm talking about!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Often I don't know I'm upset (or happy) until I experience myself doing or saying something... and I'm left wondering, "oh wow, where did THAT come from?"
    I'm thinking now that this is related to less expressed Fe/shadow Fi. But I'll admit that I don't understand the cognitive processes very well.

    Any thoughts?

  7. #17
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Repressed feeling functions can sometimes only be realized after the fact. I think personally from an INTP perspective in your head you can fail to see just how easily and evident your emotions are until you act on them. I think it is a lot more shocking when you say something that is extremely related to your emotional content because it forces you to take a step back and reflect.

    In your head it may just be fleeting and you can usually just push it back, twist it into something else, pretend its not there... but when you let it out it can be anywhere from a massive geiser or a little faucet leak. That is sometimes the best way to realize it because it is so unrefined and true to it's essence that theres no way of mistaking the message. I think your theory is pretty accurate actually.

    I would even say that is why feelers are probably more in tune with it, and why you sort of constantly do that to understand what you are thinking/feeling (not in the MBTT sense, in real life these things often interrelate).

    I think for me though, writing flows so much easier and there isn't a barrier, because I don't necessarily try to intellectualize as much as I would if I was speaking. Some of the journals and unrestricted things I write are SUPER revealing.
    Last edited by Simplexity; 11-07-2008 at 04:00 AM.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  8. #18
    Senior Member gloomy-optimist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    305

    Default

    I actually connect my thoughts very well through releasing them from my brain; what I mean by that is, sometimes I am very sure of something, but I have to either verbalize it/ write it out/ debate it before I fully realize all of the different factors that make me feel or think that way.
    I will come to a much deeper understanding of my purposes through expressing them. I come up with more reasons towards something; I find all the little bits and pieces that led me to a conclusion and add them to make a solid reason. I think it may be most because of iNtuition in my case; sometimes I piece together information without realizing it.
    Through expressing it, especially in debate or civil argument, I can lay out all of my reasons coherently in front of me. It does lead to a lot of "aha!" moments because I'll know something, but not really register that I know it, if that makes any sense at all ^^;

    I also think that may go a little bit with F, too; I know it sometimes drives the T's I know up the wall. They would rather be able to see all of the reasons out in front of them in clear terms, and sometimes I can't present that right away...they think I'm making up reasons when I finally uncover a new bit too...
    It's rather annoying sometimes, but I'm getting better with working with it

  9. #19
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I have the opposite problem. It seems like everything is beautifully coherent in my head and when I verbalize it, theres a massive translation factor that sometimes works beautifully but more often comes out not meeting my personal standards. When I write or type it seems like a much cleaner translation, I would say I get a much better sense of realization that way. I think that may be a better medium for INTPs.
    +1

    I suppose you can say I do think out loud in my head, but it never works well directly with another person until I had time to work out the bits and pieces in my head. The overall picture is there but not the details other people need to make the same mental connections as I'm making.

    Telepathy would be just awesome.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 370
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
  2. You're on an island. With a television.
    By disregard in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 01:40 AM
  3. How would you deal with the realization that your religious beliefs were false?
    By uncommonentity in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
  4. Buddhist "Mindfulness" -- Compatible with Ti?
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 10:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO