User Tag List

123 Last

Default Humility, confidence, low self-esteem, and arrogance

What is confidence? What separates it from arrogance?

What is humility? What seperates it from low self-esteem?

How does one cultivate confidence and humility while curbing arrogance and problems with low self-esteem?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

What separates humility from low self esteem? Are you serious?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Yeah, I'd say arrogance is more connected with low self-esteem, or some kind of insecurity.

Yes. Is it a difference in kind or a difference in degree?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

In kind.

In kind.
    They can look the same, can't they?

Still, what is humility?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What is confidence? What separates it from arrogance?

What is humility? What seperates it from low self-esteem?

How does one cultivate confidence and humility while curbing arrogance and problems with low self-esteem?
    Good questions to ask I think. >.o It's hard to explain since I suppose it depends on individual beliefs as well.

Confidence and humility are tools that you yourself use within yourself.. I think that's how you say it. They are tools you use when encountering others to properly socialize to achieve desired results.

Arrogance can coincide with confidence, but not humility I believe. Arrogance is more of a feeling of highness rather than a tool. Arrogance is sometimes necessary though to achieve the results desired..

Low self-esteem I think is not a tool at all, rather an inhibitor of yourself. Humility is the lack of feeling higher than the situation.. while low esteem is the constant feeling of being less than that around you.

It's hard to explain these concepts >.o I hope someone does this better than me!! But I do know that humbling yourself is much different than feeling lower than those you're talking to.. just as having the confidence to talk to a girl is different from KNOWING you'll get the girl you talk to.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP

Humility is something hard to pin down, like charisma, but some characteristics of a humble person that come to mind: respectful, not proud.

Humility is implicit self-confidence... not having to extrovert your sense of self-worth through arrogant behavior or attitudes.

Thank you for your humble efforts.

So is it possible to be humble and have low self-esteem?

or be confident and arrogant?

The lines are not clear for me.

Robot Fusion

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I like this definition of humility: modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Sometimes, humility might be connected with - correctly or not - submission.

Humility is implicit self-confidence... not having to extrovert your sense of self-worth through arrogant behavior or attitudes.
    Yeah I like that definition, I think the typical definition of 'humility' doesn't do the word justice. It's more noble than simply being courteous and not proud.