• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Humility, confidence, low self-esteem, and arrogance

ygolo

My termites win
Depends if you're talking about a modest estimation of what you can accomplish or do in the future compared to estimating something that already happened or doesn't have anything directly to do with you.

Like estimating how high of an income you should aim for compared to estimating the price of a coffee maker on The Price Is Right.

In the context of being modest about ones abilities, wouldn't that be based off what was done in the past?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Please elaborate on both points.

just picture it :)

confidence is like the quote "love is patient, love is kind"- it's not a dynamic thing, it's just THERE. arrogance grasps at straws to keep its place.

humility realizes that it's a part of something larger, while low self esteem focuses inward on its own inadequacies.

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Humility refutes exaggerations of your self-worth, whereas a low self-esteem refutes all praise.

Example of humility:
Person 1: You're so much smarter than everyone in class.
Person 2: That's not true. They're just as smart as I am.

Example of low self-esteem:
Person 2: No, everyone else is smarter than I am. I just got lucky.

See the difference. You make yourself equal to others, not worse. (those examples seem weak to me, but hopefully they're easy to understand.)

Confidence and Arrogance. This is easy. Confidence is unstated, and realistic. Arrogance is loudly portrayed/stated, and unrealistic.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Please eloborate.

confidence exists in spite of weaknesses, arrogance pretends they do not exist.

humility acknowledges vulnerability, low self-esteem assumes it

two are parts of a balance... confidence in our strengths, along with humility of the vulnerabilities we all have. the other two are presumptions of the extremes, that is, i have no weaknesses, i have no strengths.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Humility refutes exaggerations of your self-worth, whereas a low self-esteem refutes all praise.

Example of humility:
Person 2: That's not true. They're just as smart as I am.

Example of low self-esteem:
Person 2: No, everyone else is smarter than I am. I just got lucky.

See the difference. You make yourself equal to others, not worse. (those examples seem weak to me, but hopefully they're easy to understand.)

Confidence and Arrogance. This is easy. Confidence is unstated, and realistic. Arrogance is loudly portrayed/stated, and unrealistic.

I disagree. I think humility is honest.

In fact, I think we've just discovered the difference between humility and modesty.

ygolo

My termites win
just picture it :)

confidence is like the quote "love is patient, love is kind"- it's not a dynamic thing, it's just THERE. arrogance grasps at straws to keep its place.

humility realizes that it's a part of something larger, while low self esteem focuses inward on its own inadequacies.

Ah. I actually understood that.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
In the context of being modest about ones abilities, wouldn't that be based off what was done in the past?

Yeah, but since it's based on the past, it won't necessarily cause you to "aim lower" in the future.

And when one is modest about their abilities, they are usually communicating their modesty to someone else, they could still personally believe their abilities have the chance of being better than their modest estimation and improving in the future.

ygolo

My termites win

two are parts of a balance... confidence in our strengths, along with humility of the vulnerabilities we all have. the other two are presumptions of the extremes, that is, i have no weaknesses, i have no strengths.

I actually understood that too. Thanks.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

Yeah, I'm going to have to hand it to Grayscale.

Nice post, man.

ygolo

My termites win
Yeah, but since it's based on the past, it won't necessarily cause you to "aim lower" in the future.

And when one is modest about their abilities, they are usually communicating their modesty to someone else, they could still personally believe their abilities have the chance of being better than their modest estimation and improving in the future.

So modesty hides ones own abilities from others?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah, I'm going to have to hand it to Grayscale.

Nice post, man.

i know everything

</arrogance>

then again, someone could know that appearing arrogant causes an unfavorable image of themselves, but they are confident enough that they don't care what others think :D

this is an interesting topic!

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
I disagree. I think humility is honest.

In fact, I think we've just discovered the difference between humility and modesty.

I've always viewed them as being the same. I suppose they do tend to overlap quite a bit.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So modesty hides ones own abilities from others?

It can.

An example would be someone who is a very good signer and knows it saying "Oh, I'm really not that good" and in response s/he is told "Oh, stop being so modest".

ygolo

My termites win
It can.

An example would be someone who is a very good signer and knows it saying "Oh, I'm really not that good" and in response s/he is told "Oh, stop being so modest".

OK. I see that now.

Are humility, confidence, and modesty all virtues?