• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Humility, confidence, low self-esteem, and arrogance

ygolo

My termites win
What is confidence? What separates it from arrogance?

What is humility? What seperates it from low self-esteem?

How does one cultivate confidence and humility while curbing arrogance and problems with low self-esteem?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
What separates humility from low self esteem? Are you serious?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

How does one cultivate confidence and humility while curbing arrogance and problems with low self-esteem?

Good questions to ask I think. >.o It's hard to explain since I suppose it depends on individual beliefs as well.

Confidence and humility are tools that you yourself use within yourself.. I think that's how you say it. They are tools you use when encountering others to properly socialize to achieve desired results.

Arrogance can coincide with confidence, but not humility I believe. Arrogance is more of a feeling of highness rather than a tool. Arrogance is sometimes necessary though to achieve the results desired..

Low self-esteem I think is not a tool at all, rather an inhibitor of yourself. Humility is the lack of feeling higher than the situation.. while low esteem is the constant feeling of being less than that around you.

It's hard to explain these concepts >.o I hope someone does this better than me!! But I do know that humbling yourself is much different than feeling lower than those you're talking to.. just as having the confidence to talk to a girl is different from KNOWING you'll get the girl you talk to.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Humility is something hard to pin down, like charisma, but some characteristics of a humble person that come to mind: respectful, not proud.

Humility is implicit self-confidence... not having to extrovert your sense of self-worth through arrogant behavior or attitudes.

ygolo

My termites win
Thank you for your humble efforts.

So is it possible to be humble and have low self-esteem?

or be confident and arrogant?

The lines are not clear for me.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I like this definition of humility: modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Sometimes, humility might be connected with - correctly or not - submission.

Humility is implicit self-confidence... not having to extrovert your sense of self-worth through arrogant behavior or attitudes.

Yeah I like that definition, I think the typical definition of 'humility' doesn't do the word justice. It's more noble than simply being courteous and not proud.

ygolo

My termites win
I like this definition of humility: modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Sometimes, humility might be connected with - correctly or not - submission.

Well modesty and humilty are synonyms (almost). Isn't a modest estimation an underestimate?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

confidence is still while arrogance is more turbulent

humility is more universal in scope than low self esteem

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
So is it possible to be humble and have low self-esteem?

or be confident and arrogant?

I think you mean, for that second part, arrogant and have high self esteem.

I think it's possible. Certainly.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Isn't a modest estimation an underestimate?

Not necessarily I don't think, but it favors underestimation over overestimation.

Estimation closer to the lower end compared the higher end of what you think might be true.

ygolo

My termites win
Not necessarily I don't think, but it favors underestimation over overestimation.

Estimation closer to the lower end compared the higher end of what you think might be true.

Would that not prompt us to aim lower than we would or could otherwise?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
An example of a person that has low self-esteem and lacks humility would be a passive aggressive person, I think.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

two are a part of balance, the other two are blind

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Would that not prompt us to aim lower than we would or could otherwise?

Depends if you're talking about a modest estimation of what you can accomplish or do in the future compared to estimating something that already happened or doesn't have anything directly to do with you.

Like estimating how high of an income you should aim for compared to estimating the price of a coffee maker on The Price Is Right.