User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    why can't we use hubris? it's such an under-utilized term
    How Promethean of you? OK. The lack of hubris, then?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Indeed, but people are more transparent over time.
    it is hard to say. i would consider myself fairly perceptive, but even i myself know all about "allowing" someone to perceive you incorrectly and i find it really hard to assume anything for certain. people can have many, many layers.

true confidence would be nearly indiscoverable of those who have it... the funny thing is, it doesnt matter, least of all, to them.

humilty is having the courage to admit you are wrong when you know you are inaccurate. arrogance is beleiving you are right even when you are wrong. Of course not everyrthing is black and white.

Low self-esteem is believing whatever crap people throws at you even when they make no sense. They are similar yet fundamentally different.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Indeed, but people are more transparent over time.
    True, someone's true self definitely has a way of revealing itself over time. Perhaps a sociopath or just a skilled deceiver could bypass having 'who they are' leak out though.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How Promethean of you? OK. The lack of hubris, then?
    the corresponding virtue to the vice of hubris is humility
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    it is hard to say. i would concern myself fairly perceptive, but even i myself know all about "allowing" someone to perceive you incorrectly. people can have many, many layers.

true confidence would be nearly indiscoverable of those who have it... the funny thing is, it doesnt matter.
    Yes. Should we not concern ourselves with our own confidence and humility rather than others'?

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    humilty is having the courage to admit you are wrong when you know you are inaccurate. arrogance is beleiving you are right even when you are wrong. Of course not everyrthing is black and white.

Low self-esteem is believing whatever crap people throws at you even when they make no sense. They are similar yet fundamentally different.
    What about confidence?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Yes. Should we not concern ourselves with our own confidence and humility rather than others'?
    i am going to shirk how you formed the question here and give my viewpoint--

i say: never lie to yourself. know what you can know and cannot know, and where between those two anything falls. lastly, realize that you are your own life-long companion. after that, how you appear to others, and they to you, is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i am going to shirk how you formed the question here and give my viewpoint--

i say: never lie to yourself, know what you can know and cannot know, and to what degree between those two anything falls into, and realize that you are your own life-long companion. after that, how you appear to others, and they to you, is irrelevant.
    Ah yes. It is not about appearing humble or confident. I missed that interpretation of my question.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

What separates confidence from arrogance? Confidence is different from cockiness. which stems from deep rooted insecurities, a need to *prove* oneself to others as a way of public display.

What separates humility from low self-esteem? To have high self-esteem, one must also be humble. To have low self-esteem, again, one has to be arrogant.

How I see it: Arrogance/cockiness serve as a thick jacket for those who feel small inside.

I've met some truly intelligent people who graduated from prestigious schools, were accomplished and held high-paying jobs. But when walking on the streets, one would assume they're just a humble-joe from the hood.

People who are truly at peace with themselves, those who are true to themselves feel no need to get braggadocio.

MBTI
    INFP

Several here touched on my personal definition of humility. For me it's a balanced view of myself, recognizing both my weaknessess and my strengths and being honest about them with others, neither boasting nor putting myself down. A balance.

Recognizing the truth about myself as clearly as I can and then living it.

I don't know the wellspring of arrogance in others but I know that for me, when I am feeling threatened in some way, I can appear arrogant to others.

Good self-esteem is a tricky one in a social context because many don't seem to understand that feeling good about one's self does not imply that one thinks lesser of them.

That kind of comparative thinking gets us in trouble, I believe.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer