User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Depends if you're talking about a modest estimation of what you can accomplish or do in the future compared to estimating something that already happened or doesn't have anything directly to do with you.

Like estimating how high of an income you should aim for compared to estimating the price of a coffee maker on The Price Is Right.
    In the context of being modest about ones abilities, wouldn't that be based off what was done in the past?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Please elaborate on both points.
    just picture it

confidence is like the quote "love is patient, love is kind"- it's not a dynamic thing, it's just THERE. arrogance grasps at straws to keep its place.

humility realizes that it's a part of something larger, while low self esteem focuses inward on its own inadequacies.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Humility refutes exaggerations of your self-worth, whereas a low self-esteem refutes all praise.

Example of humility:
    Person 1: You're so much smarter than everyone in class.
    Person 2: That's not true. They're just as smart as I am.

Example of low self-esteem:
    Person 2: No, everyone else is smarter than I am. I just got lucky.

See the difference. You make yourself equal to others, not worse. (those examples seem weak to me, but hopefully they're easy to understand.)

Confidence and Arrogance. This is easy. Confidence is unstated, and realistic. Arrogance is loudly portrayed/stated, and unrealistic.

MBTI
    istp

Please eloborate.
    confidence exists in spite of weaknesses, arrogance pretends they do not exist.

humility acknowledges vulnerability, low self-esteem assumes it

two are parts of a balance... confidence in our strengths, along with humility of the vulnerabilities we all have. the other two are presumptions of the extremes, that is, i have no weaknesses, i have no strengths.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Genesis View Post
    Humility refutes exaggerations of your self-worth, whereas a low self-esteem refutes all praise.

Example of humility:
    Person 2: That's not true. They're just as smart as I am.

Example of low self-esteem:
    Person 2: No, everyone else is smarter than I am. I just got lucky.

See the difference. You make yourself equal to others, not worse. (those examples seem weak to me, but hopefully they're easy to understand.)

Confidence and Arrogance. This is easy. Confidence is unstated, and realistic. Arrogance is loudly portrayed/stated, and unrealistic.
    I disagree. I think humility is honest.

In fact, I think we've just discovered the difference between humility and modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    just picture it

confidence is like the quote "love is patient, love is kind"- it's not a dynamic thing, it's just THERE. arrogance grasps at straws to keep its place.

humility realizes that it's a part of something larger, while low self esteem focuses inward on its own inadequacies.
    Ah. I actually understood that.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

In the context of being modest about ones abilities, wouldn't that be based off what was done in the past?
    Yeah, but since it's based on the past, it won't necessarily cause you to "aim lower" in the future.

And when one is modest about their abilities, they are usually communicating their modesty to someone else, they could still personally believe their abilities have the chance of being better than their modest estimation and improving in the future.

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

humility acknowledges vulnerability, low self-esteem assumes it.
    I agree with this. Very eloquent.

two are parts of a balance... confidence in our strengths, along with humility of the vulnerabilities we all have. the other two are presumptions of the extremes, that is, i have no weaknesses, i have no strengths.
    I actually understood that too. Thanks.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, I'm going to have to hand it to Grayscale.

Nice post, man.