• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I know, and it's fabricated. That's what I said.

Why are you so invested in refuting a helpful and true statement? All medical terms are "fabricated."

You're missing the point of the fact that depression can be tended to before it reaches the state of self-destruction.

You can state the cause in any number of ways. Not the issue.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Why are you so invested in refuting a helpful and true statement? You can state the cause in any number of ways. Not the issue.
Because depression is not the result of a chemical imbalance, and EVEN IF IT WERE, the drugs used to fight it do not correct any chemical imbalance. Maybe I'll go find some evidence of my own. Maybe not, I'm very flighty.

But it would make sense that you not: Make a factually incorrect statement, then upon my correcting it, ask me why I'm refuting something ELSE.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
One year hard labor in a group setting is my cure-all.

Sounds a fine reason for Germany's NS.

Is there any depression statistics based on country?
(note, I did say 'any', I wouldn't expect them to be very accurate)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, for real!

A good snow shovelling session gets me delirious!
Imagine if you were shoveling snow 10 hours a day for a year (You might have to visit the High Mountains and/or Australia...) with some friendly people. Wouldn't it be fantastic? It is.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Depression in Western culture is usually brought on by something Viktor Frankl calls the "Existential Vacuum". If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a black hole. We all try to fill this whole with pleasure, eating beyond all necessity, having promiscuous sex, living “the high life;” or we might seek power, especially the power represented by monetary success; or we might fill our lives with “busy-ness,” conformity, conventionality; or we might fill the vacuum with anger and hatred and spend our days attempting to destroy what we think is hurting us. We might also fill our lives with certain neurotic “vicious cycles,” such as obsession with germs and cleanliness. The defining quality of these vicious cycles is that, whatever we do, it is never enough.
I don't consider this depression to be a serious mental disease. I don't think we need to be placed in psych. wards or be put on an endless supply of medications. I think we need to look outside ourselves to find ourselves. I think we need to stop complaining, stop being so concerned with our greedy american "needs", and figure out what is really important. You can find your meaning in anything. Even hardships. And I bet that if all of these "depressed" americans sat down and really thought about it, they'd realize that they are not a victim. That they are in control of their future, of their thoughts, and that they have the ability to find meaning in their lives.

Well said. Victimizing yourself is a sure way to get depressed. It's always "them" who made you the way you are. "They" have built your psyche wrong and "they" did this intentionally. No, there is no them, or if there is they are just as lost as you are. Everyone has only a relative control of their lives (which is at the moment more than ever, btw) and we have no choice but to accept it and stop complaining about "them".

Oh, btw, I can't believe the statistics. Only 36% has never considered suicide?!?!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, I have. It was invigorating.

I was wondering if you tried something and it didn't work. . .

Yeah, colmena. It goes back to that idea that some people are bad and need to be punished or elimiinated.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds a fine reason for Germany's NS.

Is there any depression statistics based on country?
(note, I did say 'any', I wouldn't expect them to be very accurate)

As a general rule, the further from the equator, the higher the incidence.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yes it would. (Minus the people. Okay, the people can stay, if they leave me alone)

Did you do that!

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
That's what I've heard.

Peoples of Northern European descent have high percentages.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
That's what I've heard.

Peoples of Northern European descent have high percentages.

I've read some stuff saying that their suicide rate isn't that much higher than the US's, and that a high suicide rate doesn't necessarily mean they are generally happy region of the world.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well said. Victimizing yourself is a sure way to get depressed. It's always "them" who made you the way you are. "They" have built your psyche wrong and "they" did this intentionally. No, there is no them, or if there is they are just as lost as you are. Everyone has only a relative control of their lives (which is at the moment more than ever, btw) and we have no choice but to accept it and stop complaining about "them".

Oh, btw, I can't believe the statistics. Only 36% has never considered suicide?!?!

;) Sometimes it *IS* other people...

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
As a general rule, the further from the equator, the higher the incidence.

That's interesting. Although in Heima they said Iceland was the happiest country on the earth. I think many of the Nordic countries break the general rule.

Like they've learned not to require strength through adversity.