• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'ld miss you if you comit suicide. The improved enneagram thing was great work and I remember one or two posts of yours which were also :D.

Ever thought about comitting suicide to attitude ? That does not mean you have a bad one, I mean it generally. Comit suicide to your personality, to start a new one.

Can help, helped me, gave me strength, insight, knowledge, wisdom and I lied, it gave me nothing.

But I feel good.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
honestly, i would be going 'was it really that bad? you dumb shit'. i would feel sad if they were a good friend but i would still be angry from the stupidity of it.

That's the natural reaction, but it's not the best reaction. It would be expected for you to feel that way a little while, but there comes a point when it's best for you to let it go.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
No, I never considered it as an option even when I was depressed and insomniac for a long time. Things can always get worse, so why would any moment be good for suicide? Like, what is the worst case scenario? Maybe it is the moment you realize you are not physically able to kill yourself... you can't choose to live or die anymore.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
That's the natural reaction, but it's not the best reaction. It would be expected for you to feel that way a little while, but there comes a point when it's best for you to let it go.

i guess i agree. thinking about it, if it was a friend or a family member, i would wonder why i couldn't even stop them from killing themselves. if i could change anyone in any way i would hope that this would be it. there would be a bit of guilt and i would feel completely powerless.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm perfectly capable of coming up with rationale for not killing myself, when necessary. That's why I'm still alive.

The main thing I tell myself is that I know I'm going to inevitably die anyway, and when I do, it will last for ever, so what's the rush? No sense killing myself.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No ?

Uhm, then, forget what I've said :D

Usehername

On a mission
No, I never considered it as an option even when I was depressed and insomniac for a long time. Things can always get worse, so why would any moment be good for suicide? Like, what is the worst case scenario? Maybe it is the moment you realize you are not physically able to kill yourself... you can't choose to live or die anymore.

Part of it though is simply messed up brain chemistry. I've had shitty life situations since then (been sick with screwed up hormones where even my hair began to fall out, cousins dying of sickness and murder) but none compare to the depressed teenage brain that I experienced for a few months.

I was never seriously planning it, but I dwelled on the thoughts while depressed as a teen.

Seriously--throwing some molecules in your body to counteract the imbalance can make a world of a difference.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Multiple of what I'll call attempts. I've been diagnosed manic depressive/bipolar and I'm just coming to terms with this, I kind of ignored the diagnosis for a while. When I sink low the idea is entertained every couple days if not every day so it's hard to answer this question with what is given.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
So, how often do you have suicidal thoughts?

To be a bit more specific: How often have you given at least momentary consideration to commiting suicide as a result of a negative state of mind?
I've never considered it resulting from a negative state of mind.
Even when being harassed by everyone and everything, I'm at least ludic enough to maintain determination to trump the situation.

Keeping that in mind, I confess to having thought about killing myself. But it truly is a neutral wonder.
Only out of curiosity has it ever come to mind -- that is to say, I've never derived from any source motivation or any inspiration to do it; at least not directly. I have deliberately grabbed an electric fence (the kind for keeping deer out of a garden) and hope to be struck by lightning before (or as) I die. I've more than once participated in most extreme sports what can be done so in suburbia, and have otherwise engaged in activity that was obviously dangerous. Some say I'm suicidal. Others say I'm brave. I don't care for either of those. I'm not suicidal, and I don't think it counts as bravery when you're more afraid of not knowing what you missed than of being hurt or killed.

The curiosity I'm talking about is entirely mental. I wondered what would happen if I died at my own decision. So I suppose the thought was less about killing myself and more about the result, but since suicide is indispensable to satisfy, of course it entered my mind.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I had to guess, I'd say that there are just as many people who ponder suicide as those who never have pondered it. This is a testament to the amount of sadness and despair that exists in the world today combined with the unavailability of proper coping mechanisms. But what's more noteworthy is the amount of people who do it or attempt it. Has this number risen or fallen?

I have a good friend (ENTP, I think), who about 6 months ago, and entirely to my surprise, attempted suicide and failed.

It was HORRIBLE.

So much so that I can barely speak about it right now.

The only thing I can say is that after something like this happens to you, it completely changes your perspective about the whole matter.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If I had to guess, I'd say that there are just as many people who ponder suicide as those who never have pondered it. This is a testament to the amount of sadness and despair that exists in the world today combined with the unavailability of proper coping mechanisms. But what's more noteworthy is the amount of people who do it or attempt it. Has this number risen or fallen?

I have a good friend (ENTP, I think), who about 6 months ago, and entirely to my surprise, attempted suicide and failed.

It was HORRIBLE.

So much so that I can barely speak about it right now.

The only thing I can say is that after something like this happens to you, it completely changes your perspective about the whole matter.

Thank you (the first part was brilliant by they way)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
MDMA therapy looked promising, wish the drug would become legal.

Yes, I understand there are quite a few recreational drugs which can alter brain chemistry. Sometimes permanently.

I met a few of those self-styled, psychiatrist kids when I worked at the state hospital. All the King's horses couldn't put some of those poor humpty-dumpty kids back together again.

There may be a grain of truth in your thoughts. The problem is who knows what drug and what dose. Even a trained psychiatrist has to do the trial and error thing. And every psychoactive chemical has it's variations depending on the individual.

I really worry for you guys. It's especially damaging for the young whose brains have not fully developed yet.

I've lost two friends to suicide. It was crushing. One used a shotgun. The other a train.

I understand that some people commit suicide to get revenge against people who they think are the cause of their problems. It works sometimes.

I don't think my friends were doing that, just had screwed-up brain chemistry and didn't do the things they needed to do to deal with their despair. But nonetheless it was very difficult to experience. I kept asking myself what I could have done to help.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Clinical depression is at a major high in the US today, Hmm. And I wouldn't say there is a shortage of either education, methods of coping or availability of help.

A larger problem is that people are unwilling

1. To admit they need help. There is still that shame factor with mental illness. And I believe people who kill themselves are mentally ill.

2. To go to the tremendous amount of work and self-discipline it takes to recover.

Then there is, admitedly, the outrageous cost of medication. But that can sometimes be surmounted with investigation into resources.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, I understand there are quite a few recreational drugs which can alter brain chemistry. Sometimes permanently.

I guess, when ajablaise changes names to sometimes, it is too late

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think it is selfish of us to hold a person who commits suicide against them. Like, "damn you, I really wish you could've continued to live in absolute agony so I could be happy knowing and feeling that you exist."

:dont:

There is an inherent will to live amongst all of us, when that instinctual will diminishes, some choose to die.

So be it, that is their prerogative and that is their right.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

I met a few of those self-styled, psychiatrist kids when I worked at the state hospital. All the King's horses couldn't put some of those poor humpty-dumpty kids back together again.

There may be a grain of truth in your thoughts. The problem is who knows what drug and what dose. Even a trained psychiatrist has to do the trial and error thing. And every psychoactive chemical has it's variations depending on the individual.

I really worry for you guys. It's especially damaging for the young whose brains have not fully developed yet.

I've lost two friends to suicide. It was crushing. One used a shotgun. The other a train.

I understand that some people commit suicide to get revenge against people who they think are the cause of their problems. It works sometimes.

I don't think my friends were doing that, just had screwed-up brain chemistry and didn't do the things they needed to do to deal with their despair. But nonetheless it was very difficult to experience. I kept asking myself what I could have done to help.

It wouldn't be that hard for psychiatrists or psychologists to offer consistent doses of MDMA or LSD. And rare or even moderate use (MDMA should only be used rarely) of soft drugs like MDMA or LSD or psilocybin is fine by all indications, assuming the appropriate set & setting is in place. Flashbacks or LSD storing itself it people spines are ridiculous. LSD can give you flashbacks the same way the Vietnam war gives people flashbacks, if you have a horrible experience with the drug.

It's those prescription SSRI drugs I'm more worried about, but they have proved helpful to many.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="P3DTZeEiRdA"]Winter[/YOUTUBE]