• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking back on this... I'm really surprised at how many people claim they've never considered suicide.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Suicide attempts decline after depression treatment

"Like other psychiatrists, Dr. Simon has seen a few depressed patients start having suicidal thoughts while taking antidepressant medication despite never having thought about suicide before then.

He hypothesizes that subgroups of people may be vulnerable to becoming more agitated or suicidal after taking these drugs. “We hope to learn how to identify these people in advance,” he said."

Since when do happy people ever commit suicide? Why do people take antidepressants? This is cynicism on my part, of course. A properly designed study should be able to pick out this correlation, if it does exists.

So, how often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Suicide seems more like a feeler or sensor thing to me. I seriously can't picture many NTs going through with it. It does not make any sense. It's like the old cliche, "cutting off your nose to spite your face." Thinking about it is a different matter. I think of all kinds of crazy things that I would not do. Everybody does.

I have been severely depressed in the past, which seems fairly common for INTPs, but even then I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can remember what was probably the low point and I remember seeing that light. It's an optimistic point of view that no matter how bad a situation seems now, it can only get better.

I'm as happy now as I've ever been. That does not mean I'm happy, just that I can now see what it looks like, and that I know I'm headed in that direction.

Qre:us

So, how often do you have suicidal thoughts?

To be a bit more specific: How often have you given at least momentary consideration to commiting suicide as a result of a negative state of mind?

Answer with the highest frequency that applies to you.

Try to also answer based as accurately as you can on your current state of mind. If you had several spells of suicidal thoughts in a cluster many years ago, then pick one of the long term options.

:::This is a public poll. If that bothers a lot of you, then I can ask to have it made private:::

And have the world lose out on the awsomeness that is me? I could never be so cruel!

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
I've pictured the mechanics of it, but never attached any feeling or drive to it.
Same for me. No matter how hard life ever was, I am just not the type to take the easy way or give up. I'd rather fight my whole life than just take the cowards way. :huh:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Same for me. No matter how hard life ever was, I am just not the type to take the easy way or give up. I'd rather fight my whole life than just take the cowards way.

:nice:

But I wouldn't really call them cowards. A little weak minded, maybe.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Hmm, I've thought about it, but from a purely curious point of view. My problem is, I have such an inflated sense of self I'd never consider killing myself, because I think I'm just that awesome. If I'm in a down period in my life I usually despair the life situation as the result of different things beyond my control, and not necessarily as a result of me being defective, so I never really get down on myself, if that makes sense.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it does make sense jock....i just think everything changes and as bad as your situation gets it will always get better...situations are temporary.

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
:nice:
But I wouldn't really call them cowards. A little weak minded, maybe.
I am an INTJ, I am being superdirect and -honest. But yes, maybe "weak minded" works for next time. :D

It's just what I experienced. I had quite a few "friends" (more of "people I know") who would consider suicide or actually try to do it. They annoyed me somewhen, because for me it was always a sign of heavy weakness and cowardness. This might sounds hard but they put themselves in some misery and then they would take the easy way out. That's not exactly the best way to earn my respect. :ninja:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am an INTJ, I am being superdirect and -honest. But yes, maybe "weak minded" works for next time. :D

It's just what I experienced. I had quite a few "friends" (more of "people I know") who would consider suicide or actually try to do it. They annoyed me somewhen, because for me it was always a sign of heavy weakness and cowardness. This might sounds hard but they put themselves in some misery and then they would take the easy way out. That's not exactly the best way to earn my respect. :ninja:

One though I've always had about this, is that death is really not an easy way out. It is the thing you are primally avoiding at all times. It takes an incredible amount of effort (or a very poorly wired brain) to commit oneself to death.

Also, have you considered that some people feel suicidal out of self-deprecation rather than self-pitty?

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Only while watching Dr. Phil. WTF is this shit all about ?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MDMA therapy looked promising, wish the drug would become legal.
me too...it was once. a friend remembers being able to get it at the door of a club he used to go to...how weird that must have been.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I often feel like jumping through windows, but like, with a parachute.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I remember once, as I turned 21, putting through these kind of gross thoughts... about life, achievements, and future. Plus I messed up on relation with a girl I liked alot, and couldn't get her back... and there was a moment where I found myself asking God 'why it went wrong' etc and demanded God to help me find hope - grabbed a knife and put it near my neck to my chest, demanding some hope or I'll...

Any way, I couldn't. I knew I couldn't no matter how angry I felt, because... I couldn't. There was always something about this life worth going, even the hardass painful choices.

... So despite that one moment, I've never thought suicidally. But I know life isn't as fresh as it once was. Feel more like the majority.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
suicidal ideation

I'm not suicidal so it's not one of those threads, but rather i was just curious how many people just randomly think if i kill myself now, i'll not have to worry about the future?? I know its fucked up and its the most random times, i'll be sitting their and think "i'll shoot myself" i never do but it passes it usually passes, it's scary when it sticks around though.

W

WALMART

I wish I had as much to say as I did a few months ago, but yes.

Oft when I'm drunk, it's hard not to twirl a bullet between my fingers musing the simplicity in it.

Then I think of Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nice bump

I selected the wrong answer. Those types of thoughts are situational. Probably seriously pondered it 2-3 times in my life. One was very recent. Then it shifted direction and I was wanting to hurt someone specific who isn't me. That still pops up a few times a week.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. I didn't expect to see this again. My answer changed since the last time I voted. It's now once a week or more.

gromit

likes this
Sometimes if I am at the top of something high, I have a weird urge to jump. Not that I want to die, but just want to jump, who knows why?

Went through a kind of bummed out time around age 21 or something, sort of wanted to die, but that passed, thankfully!

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sometimes if I am at the top of something high, I have a weird urge to jump. Not that I want to die, but just want to jump, who knows why?
I remember when I was 13 or so, we were standing on a school balcony and my best friend suddenly said how she always had to grab the railing because she was afraid she would want to jump. I thought it was funny and slightly disturbing, because I always felt the same thing.