User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week or more.

15 13.16%
  • Once a month or more.

17 14.91%
  • Once a year or more.

13 11.40%
  • Once every few years.

8 7.02%
  • Once or twice in my life.

26 22.81%
  • Never.

35 30.70%
First 67891018 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Nocapszy said it. The established field of psychology is a logical disaster zone. Everyone knows of someone with real mental illness. Schizophrenia is real, and obvious.

Not to lower peoples' problems to something not worth worrying about, but they usually aren't biological in origin. They're the result of today's commonly mundane existence. When you're fighting for your existence 12 hours a day, as were many of our ancestors, you don't have time to worry about your level of contentment or go into a loop of obsession on the negative.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Why is it everyone claims to be fucking authority on mental illness? I want to know, how much can you really know about someone else and their mental state unless you're them? You can know someone your whole life and I'm sure their's something you still don't know about them, the truth is. When someone is down,the last thing they want is someone in their face telling them their sick or crazy or abnormal and they certaintly don't want to know how fucking wonderful life is. or it's a chemical imbalance sorry but chemical imbalance is pretty much the same as saying you're fucking nuts. Even though I don't really know what you're going through cuz I've never had thoughts of suicide myself I want to "cure" you.

at least that's how I feel.

this angry rant has been brought to you by the letter c and the number 1

I agree. No one can "cure" anyone without their interest in making changes.

No. A chemical imbalance is not the norm. Neither is cancer. It is being ill and can sometimes be restored to the normal state.

People who are not healthy are not bad.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFJ

Depression in Western culture is usually brought on by something Viktor Frankl calls the "Existential Vacuum". If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a black hole. We all try to fill this whole with pleasure, eating beyond all necessity, having promiscuous sex, living “the high life;” or we might seek power, especially the power represented by monetary success; or we might fill our lives with “busy-ness,” conformity, conventionality; or we might fill the vacuum with anger and hatred and spend our days attempting to destroy what we think is hurting us. We might also fill our lives with certain neurotic “vicious cycles,” such as obsession with germs and cleanliness. The defining quality of these vicious cycles is that, whatever we do, it is never enough.
    I don't consider this depression to be a serious mental disease. I don't think we need to be placed in psych. wards or be put on an endless supply of medications. I think we need to look outside ourselves to find ourselves. I think we need to stop complaining, stop being so concerned with our greedy american "needs", and figure out what is really important. You can find your meaning in anything. Even hardships. And I bet that if all of these "depressed" americans sat down and really thought about it, they'd realize that they are not a victim. That they are in control of their future, of their thoughts, and that they have the ability to find meaning in their lives.
    Rain makes applesauce

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    No. A chemical imbalance is not the norm. Neither is cancer. It is being ill and can sometimes be restored to the normal state.
    This "chemical imbalance" you speak of is a fabricated term, and the drugs they use do not directly correct any chemical imbalance. Save perhaps for "I don't have enough Prozac in my system to be a content drone."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Nocapszy said it. The established field of psychology is a logical disaster zone. Everyone knows of someone with real mental illness. Schizophrenia is real, and obvious.

Not to lower peoples' problems to something not worth worrying about, but they usually aren't biological in origin. They're the result of today's commonly mundane existence. When you're fighting for your existence 12 hours a day, as were many of our ancestors, you don't have time to worry about your level of contentment or go into a loop of obsession on the negative.
    I don't see a problem in our viewpoints.

When a person lets depression carry them to the brink of suicide that is the point where situational depression has persisted to an unhealthy state.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    This "chemical imbalance" you speak of is a fabricated term, and the drugs they use do not directly correct any chemical imbalance.
    Study up. There's plenty of good information.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Study up. There's plenty of good information.
    Yes, I know, and it's fabricated. That's what I said.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by littledarling View Post
    Depression in Western culture is usually brought on by something Viktor Frankl calls the "Existential Vacuum". If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a black hole. We all try to fill this whole with pleasure, eating beyond all necessity, having promiscuous sex, living “the high life;” or we might seek power, especially the power represented by monetary success; or we might fill our lives with “busy-ness,” conformity, conventionality; or we might fill the vacuum with anger and hatred and spend our days attempting to destroy what we think is hurting us. We might also fill our lives with certain neurotic “vicious cycles,” such as obsession with germs and cleanliness. The defining quality of these vicious cycles is that, whatever we do, it is never enough.
    I don't consider this depression to be a serious mental disease. I don't think we need to be placed in psych. wards or be put on an endless supply of medications. I think we need to look outside ourselves to find ourselves. I think we need to stop complaining, stop being so concerned with our greedy american "needs", and figure out what is really important. You can find your meaning in anything. Even hardships. And I bet that if all of these "depressed" americans sat down and really thought about it, they'd realize that they are not a victim. That they are in control of their future, of their thoughts, and that they have the ability to find meaning in their lives.
    Quoted for sense.

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I agree. Most depression has deep spiritual significance.

Did people miss my post about when it persists too long it can alter brain chemistry?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Viktor Frankl is the jam, as is his logotherapy!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles