• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suicidal thoughts?

How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

• Total voters

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius does not think he has ever had any suicidal thoughts. Firstly, he is as optimistic as a serial killer. Serial killers are the eternal optimists of the world, they always think they will get away their crimes. Secondly, he so narcissistic he refuses to go outside without a mirror. Thirdly and most importantly, he has so much to prove to so many in such little time.

littledarling

MBTI Type
INFJ
I often think about death...but not in the typical morbid, melodramatic way. It's more of a wondering. A very dear friend of mine committed suicide October 17th of 2005, so this time of year I think of it more than usual. And it's not really death, or the process of dying that I think about...it's the after. I believe in God and I believe in heaven, so I like to imagine what it must be like...although I'm sure anything I can imagine falls terribly short. Sometimes I think that if I really did know what heaven was like...being in the PRESENCE of GOD, I would off myself without a single doubt. Life is confusing and frustrating and I get so incredibly fed up with all the materialism in our society...so honestly I do not stick around for the pleasure I get from life. I stick around because I know my life has a purpose and I know I haven't fulfilled that purpose yet. But yea, if I felt it would be morally responsible, I'd kill myself in a heart beat.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just a quick reflection on Jennifer and nocapszy's posts.

I believe most are in accord that a brain which is focussed on self-destruction is one which isn't functioning correctly.
Hear that Jen? We're fucked up, you and I.

Oh wait... I knew that already.

Mental illness is tremendously widespread.
Or practically non-existent.
One in four Americans will experience it at some point in their lives.
This is why I think it's not real. If that were true, then there ought to be more psych wards than 7 Elevens. I seriously think that if mental illness can legitimately be called an illness, that this figure is profusely exaggerated.

The public has this polished ideal representation of how we oughtta be. And of course there's deviation, but none of it is really very adventurous. So we've decreased the bar -- made it easier to be called adventurous than actually adventure, because the individual psychology in all its egotistically driven consumption* will more comfortably feed on the words -- phony conveyance of admiration -- than on the experience.

It's 'cool' to be adventurous. If you're given the dub, you feel good about yourself. That's why people pretend they like foreign food, why gaydom has increased, and why these 'adventurous' types have usually never gone rock climbing (symbolic for adventurousness... don't take this too literally): It's a big circle-jerk.

If you're not in the circle already though, don't expect to get in though. They shove everyone who isn't as polished out. Any true adventurousness is laughed at.
Jackass the movie is proof of this. Sure, people think it's funny, but they're getting a kick out of knowing they're not quite as "stupid" as those fellas. I know so, because I went and saw the movie with some of my polished friends. After the movie they mocked the whole cast. The jackass crew served to remind them just how polished they were.

Real deviation is dangerous. And it makes those polished people very very uncomfortable. To be fair, if it didn't, they wouldn't try to polish themselves.
Mental illness counts as real deviation. At least to the public: The public thinks that insanity is deliberate. It genuinely appears to be at first glance, which is all the closer an examination anyone from conventional public makes effort to take.
Having such poor, and limited information makes it hard to differentiate between physical malfunction, and deliberate deviance.

I also blame a lot of the deviants for this muddling -- many of them imitate the crazies.

Mental illness is a joke, except where it's not deliberate. Where there's unnatural chemical proportions. That can't be helped.

I have a very hard time accepting that one in four people will have a substantially imbalanced neural chemical make-up.

** we're all egotistical... all of us. every human. without getting into evolution too much, it helps maintain survival, but in modern culture, necessity for it is far less, but still a prevalent drive

Usually it takes the form of depression. And as someone else here mentions, why not?

Look at the state of things. Any thinking and feeling person certainly is justified in feeling discouraged.
Or invincible, which is probably closer to where I stand.
Consciously I know I'm not but thinking about some of the things I do makes me wonder if I do think I can't fuck up. Either that or that I just don't care if I do fuck up, but as much effort as I put in, I couldn't not care.

And here's something many don't know. That if you stay in a depressed state long enough your brain chemistry can alter to the point when your brain will not manufacture its own feel-good chemicals any more.
This be where my uncle stands.

So to assume that a person is making an informed decision about offing themselves is erroneous.
Which is why I've made no attempt to explain to him that his brain is actually physically malfunctioning, and he needs to make reparations, just like he would to a car which wasn't working properly.
They are ill and they need help to get well. If they are able to accomplish that with help their brain will function at a level normal enough to not want to die.

The amount of time money and effort it takes is daunting and it is sometimes easier for everyone involved to just chuck it. Darwin, ya know. Let 'em go.

And mentally disturbed people can be such a pain in the butt that sometimes people do get to that point of not trying to help anymore.

But then - that thought about hiding one's sucidal tendencies? That part of the problem. Our society places such a hard judgement on mental illness that people are afraid to seek help.

Odd thing. We don't judge people with cancer. We feel compassion for them.

Maybe it's because of the behavioral problems that mentally ill people exhibit?
Maybe, but that still doesn't mean the public at large is making any calculated estimate on whether it's good or bad. Just following 'what's done'

Cancer patients ritually use drugs. That's usually regarded as a flaw when the depressed do it, but it's OK if you've got cancer.

They're also forced into immense pain, which causes rotten/rude/mean behavior. This is of course forgiven once the cancer comes to mind, and is replaced with the compassion you mentioned. You can't physically see depression, so you can't concretely diagnose it, so you can't prove you have it, so people are less inclined to feel the same compassion when you act out of pained reflex the same way a cancer patient does.

Also:
Smoking causes cancer. Their decision. They decided, even if inadvertently, to get cancer. We still feel compassion.
Some people can't help depression. They're just built 'poorly'
My pop thinks I'm depressed. He's an idiot.
He tells me, in different words, basically, to stop being depressed.
Simple as that. Usually he phrases it like "you need to get on the stick" or some other such ESTJ bullshit slogan.

No compassion for the depressed. Or at least it's a different kind of compassion. Possibly because cancer isn't contagious, but depression is.

But they're out there in huge numbers. Functioning just like everybody else and under considerable handicap.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I think about death and my death a lot, but I have never actually thought, "I want to kill myself."

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dear Anja- are you considering situationally depressed or otherwise unhappy people to be mentally ill? If so that's a fairly harsh judgement to be making, especially considering that the person's mental state is directly related to thier physical state or what has occurred to them. If you wish to make that judgement, I would happily trade you a couple of years of my life so that you could see what THAT is like from the inside.

I'm not buying the fact that situational states are mental illness AT ALL.

:)

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Dear Anja- are you considering situationally depressed or otherwise unhappy people to be mentally ill? If so that's a fairly harsh judgement to be making, especially considering that the person's mental state is directly related to thier physical state or what has occurred to them. If you wish to make that judgement, I would happily trade you a couple of years of my life so that you could see what THAT is like from the inside.

I'm not buying the fact that situational states are mental illness AT ALL.

:)

I think what she means is a situational state of mental illness.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh no, not situational depression. That's just one of those bumps in life we need to learn to live with. Sometimes people "awfulize" it to the point of drama and suicide because they don't have good coping skills or need extra attention when they are down.

My point, Nocapszy, is that there doesn't need to be a value judgement put on mental illness. I thought Jen's matter-of-fact post subtly addressed this.

Looks like you've put a lot of effort into your post. But it's so mixed in with your personal issues that I can't really address most of what you say, not knowing you well.

You can refute MI as a fact. Go ahead. Some people do. Call it anything you want. Doesn't change anything. The medical model is only one way to look at a pattern of problems which cause people distress.

Being ill doesn't equal being effed up. Wish more people got that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Why is it everyone claims to be fucking authority on mental illness? I want to know, how much can you really know about someone else and their mental state unless you're them? You can know someone your whole life and I'm sure their's something you still don't know about them, the truth is. When someone is down,the last thing they want is someone in their face telling them their sick or crazy or abnormal and they certaintly don't want to know how fucking wonderful life is. or it's a chemical imbalance sorry but chemical imbalance is pretty much the same as saying you're fucking nuts. Even though I don't really know what you're going through cuz I've never had thoughts of suicide myself I want to "cure" you.

at least that's how I feel.

this angry rant has been brought to you by the letter c and the number 1

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Nocapszy said it. The established field of psychology is a logical disaster zone. Everyone knows of someone with real mental illness. Schizophrenia is real, and obvious.

Not to lower peoples' problems to something not worth worrying about, but they usually aren't biological in origin. They're the result of today's commonly mundane existence. When you're fighting for your existence 12 hours a day, as were many of our ancestors, you don't have time to worry about your level of contentment or go into a loop of obsession on the negative.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Why is it everyone claims to be fucking authority on mental illness? I want to know, how much can you really know about someone else and their mental state unless you're them? You can know someone your whole life and I'm sure their's something you still don't know about them, the truth is. When someone is down,the last thing they want is someone in their face telling them their sick or crazy or abnormal and they certaintly don't want to know how fucking wonderful life is. or it's a chemical imbalance sorry but chemical imbalance is pretty much the same as saying you're fucking nuts. Even though I don't really know what you're going through cuz I've never had thoughts of suicide myself I want to "cure" you.

at least that's how I feel.

this angry rant has been brought to you by the letter c and the number 1

I agree. No one can "cure" anyone without their interest in making changes.

No. A chemical imbalance is not the norm. Neither is cancer. It is being ill and can sometimes be restored to the normal state.

People who are not healthy are not bad.

littledarling

MBTI Type
INFJ
Depression in Western culture is usually brought on by something Viktor Frankl calls the "Existential Vacuum". If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a black hole. We all try to fill this whole with pleasure, eating beyond all necessity, having promiscuous sex, living “the high life;” or we might seek power, especially the power represented by monetary success; or we might fill our lives with “busy-ness,” conformity, conventionality; or we might fill the vacuum with anger and hatred and spend our days attempting to destroy what we think is hurting us. We might also fill our lives with certain neurotic “vicious cycles,” such as obsession with germs and cleanliness. The defining quality of these vicious cycles is that, whatever we do, it is never enough.
I don't consider this depression to be a serious mental disease. I don't think we need to be placed in psych. wards or be put on an endless supply of medications. I think we need to look outside ourselves to find ourselves. I think we need to stop complaining, stop being so concerned with our greedy american "needs", and figure out what is really important. You can find your meaning in anything. Even hardships. And I bet that if all of these "depressed" americans sat down and really thought about it, they'd realize that they are not a victim. That they are in control of their future, of their thoughts, and that they have the ability to find meaning in their lives.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
No. A chemical imbalance is not the norm. Neither is cancer. It is being ill and can sometimes be restored to the normal state.
This "chemical imbalance" you speak of is a fabricated term, and the drugs they use do not directly correct any chemical imbalance. Save perhaps for "I don't have enough Prozac in my system to be a content drone."

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Nocapszy said it. The established field of psychology is a logical disaster zone. Everyone knows of someone with real mental illness. Schizophrenia is real, and obvious.

Not to lower peoples' problems to something not worth worrying about, but they usually aren't biological in origin. They're the result of today's commonly mundane existence. When you're fighting for your existence 12 hours a day, as were many of our ancestors, you don't have time to worry about your level of contentment or go into a loop of obsession on the negative.

I don't see a problem in our viewpoints.

When a person lets depression carry them to the brink of suicide that is the point where situational depression has persisted to an unhealthy state.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
This "chemical imbalance" you speak of is a fabricated term, and the drugs they use do not directly correct any chemical imbalance.

Study up. There's plenty of good information.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Depression in Western culture is usually brought on by something Viktor Frankl calls the "Existential Vacuum". If meaning is what we desire, then meaninglessness is a black hole. We all try to fill this whole with pleasure, eating beyond all necessity, having promiscuous sex, living “the high life;” or we might seek power, especially the power represented by monetary success; or we might fill our lives with “busy-ness,” conformity, conventionality; or we might fill the vacuum with anger and hatred and spend our days attempting to destroy what we think is hurting us. We might also fill our lives with certain neurotic “vicious cycles,” such as obsession with germs and cleanliness. The defining quality of these vicious cycles is that, whatever we do, it is never enough.
I don't consider this depression to be a serious mental disease. I don't think we need to be placed in psych. wards or be put on an endless supply of medications. I think we need to look outside ourselves to find ourselves. I think we need to stop complaining, stop being so concerned with our greedy american "needs", and figure out what is really important. You can find your meaning in anything. Even hardships. And I bet that if all of these "depressed" americans sat down and really thought about it, they'd realize that they are not a victim. That they are in control of their future, of their thoughts, and that they have the ability to find meaning in their lives.
Quoted for sense.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP

Yes, I agree. Most depression has deep spiritual significance.

Did people miss my post about when it persists too long it can alter brain chemistry?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Viktor Frankl is the jam, as is his logotherapy!!!

:yes: