User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week or more.

15 13.16%
  • Once a month or more.

17 14.91%
  • Once a year or more.

13 11.40%
  • Once every few years.

8 7.02%
  • Once or twice in my life.

26 22.81%
  • Never.

35 30.70%
First 71516171819 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Looking back on this... I'm really surprised at how many people claim they've never considered suicide.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Suicide attempts decline after depression treatment

"Like other psychiatrists, Dr. Simon has seen a few depressed patients start having suicidal thoughts while taking antidepressant medication despite never having thought about suicide before then.

He hypothesizes that subgroups of people may be vulnerable to becoming more agitated or suicidal after taking these drugs. We hope to learn how to identify these people in advance, he said."

Since when do happy people ever commit suicide? Why do people take antidepressants? This is cynicism on my part, of course. A properly designed study should be able to pick out this correlation, if it does exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So, how often do you have suicidal thoughts?
    Suicide seems more like a feeler or sensor thing to me. I seriously can't picture many NTs going through with it. It does not make any sense. It's like the old cliche, "cutting off your nose to spite your face." Thinking about it is a different matter. I think of all kinds of crazy things that I would not do. Everybody does.

I have been severely depressed in the past, which seems fairly common for INTPs, but even then I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can remember what was probably the low point and I remember seeing that light. It's an optimistic point of view that no matter how bad a situation seems now, it can only get better.

I'm as happy now as I've ever been. That does not mean I'm happy, just that I can now see what it looks like, and that I know I'm headed in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So, how often do you have suicidal thoughts?

To be a bit more specific: How often have you given at least momentary consideration to commiting suicide as a result of a negative state of mind?

Answer with the highest frequency that applies to you.

Try to also answer based as accurately as you can on your current state of mind. If you had several spells of suicidal thoughts in a cluster many years ago, then pick one of the long term options.

:::This is a public poll. If that bothers a lot of you, then I can ask to have it made private:::
    And have the world lose out on the awsomeness that is me? I could never be so cruel!

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I've pictured the mechanics of it, but never attached any feeling or drive to it.
    Same for me. No matter how hard life ever was, I am just not the type to take the easy way or give up. I'd rather fight my whole life than just take the cowards way.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    Same for me. No matter how hard life ever was, I am just not the type to take the easy way or give up. I'd rather fight my whole life than just take the cowards way.

But I wouldn't really call them cowards. A little weak minded, maybe.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Hmm, I've thought about it, but from a purely curious point of view. My problem is, I have such an inflated sense of self I'd never consider killing myself, because I think I'm just that awesome. If I'm in a down period in my life I usually despair the life situation as the result of different things beyond my control, and not necessarily as a result of me being defective, so I never really get down on myself, if that makes sense.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it does make sense jock....i just think everything changes and as bad as your situation gets it will always get better...situations are temporary.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post

But I wouldn't really call them cowards. A little weak minded, maybe.
    I am an INTJ, I am being superdirect and -honest. But yes, maybe "weak minded" works for next time.

It's just what I experienced. I had quite a few "friends" (more of "people I know") who would consider suicide or actually try to do it. They annoyed me somewhen, because for me it was always a sign of heavy weakness and cowardness. This might sounds hard but they put themselves in some misery and then they would take the easy way out. That's not exactly the best way to earn my respect.
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by GargoylesLegacy View Post
    I am an INTJ, I am being superdirect and -honest. But yes, maybe "weak minded" works for next time.

It's just what I experienced. I had quite a few "friends" (more of "people I know") who would consider suicide or actually try to do it. They annoyed me somewhen, because for me it was always a sign of heavy weakness and cowardness. This might sounds hard but they put themselves in some misery and then they would take the easy way out. That's not exactly the best way to earn my respect.
    One though I've always had about this, is that death is really not an easy way out. It is the thing you are primally avoiding at all times. It takes an incredible amount of effort (or a very poorly wired brain) to commit oneself to death.

Also, have you considered that some people feel suicidal out of self-deprecation rather than self-pitty?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Only while watching Dr. Phil. WTF is this shit all about ?