User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week or more.

15 13.16%
  • Once a month or more.

17 14.91%
  • Once a year or more.

13 11.40%
  • Once every few years.

8 7.02%
  • Once or twice in my life.

26 22.81%
  • Never.

35 30.70%
First 61415161718 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don' know that I quite follow.
    I meant that if we have similar thoughts and we both can get depressed by those thoughts, what is the key between being depressed and being suicidal?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I meant that if we have similar thoughts and we both can get depressed by those thoughts, what is the key between being depressed and being suicidal?
    Maybe it's degree. Maybe you don't get as depressed by those things.

Maybe it's a matter of values. Maybe you get depressed by the same things, to the same degree, but you have an underlying philosophy that makes you handle the depression differently.

And simply, maybe our causes for depression seem similar on the surface, but have some profound differences in greater detail.

And of course, it could easily be any combination of those things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

'scuse, nolla. I can't speculate on your question until I get this on paper!

Someone mentioned that anti-depressants may cause people to kill themselves and I just wanted to throw in one explanation for that.

It's not the medication per se.

The way it was explained to me was that people who are very depressed need to be watched closely as they begin to feel better. That is the time when they finally have the energy to carry out a plan.

Deep depression sometimes involves lying in bed or sitting in a chair for days at a time. As the mood begins to lift energy and comprehensive thought begins to return.

Many depressives also recognize that it means they are going to be expected to get into action again to improve and they are still too depressed to want to work at it.

The expectations of others weigh heavily on people who are depressed. Some think, "What if they want me to go to a family party and I can't do it." "What if they want me to start working again?" Thoughts like that.

I don't know the current statistics but a while back the most suicides were committed in the morning and in the month of April. Things are looking up! Oh-oh. I know that post-holidays are also a peak time. Got to go back to work and pay bills?

Often people will do a great deal of finishing up or tidying before they kill themselves. There is a renewed surge of energy there.

The medication does not magically create suicidal thoughts.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    The medication does not magically create suicidal thoughts.

I didn't think that it was yet known by reseachers for sure whether or not anti-depressants do or cause chemical changes in the brains of people who commit suicide after taking them?

And I also I thought it had more to do with the difference between depression alone and depression co-existing with bi-polar which SSRI can aggrivate?

5 questions

"4. Why do these medications increase suicide risk mostly in kids? It seems counterintuitive when the medication is actually meant to make them feel better.

Chang: Children may respond to psychiatric medications differently than adults because their brains -- like their bodies -- are still developing. For example, tricyclic antidepressants, which can be effective in adults with depression, don’t really work in children.

Also, it can be difficult to differentiate between depression and early bipolar disorder in adolescents. Because SSRIs can cause simultaneous manic and depressive states in people with bipolar disorder, which can lead to an increased suicide risk, it's vital to ask whether there's a family history of bipolar disorder or if the child has ever responded negatively to other psychiatric medications."

Suicide attempts decline after depression treatment

"Like other psychiatrists, Dr. Simon has seen a few depressed patients start having suicidal thoughts while taking antidepressant medication despite never having thought about suicide before then.

He hypothesizes that subgroups of people may be vulnerable to becoming more agitated or suicidal after taking these drugs. “We hope to learn how to identify these people in advance,” he said."

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I think it does sometimes come down to a person essentially being too depressed to gather the resolve to kill themselves, and the antidepressant brings them up to the level where they do. It's like it's something they were inclined to do, and the drug motivates them to get active and do something, and that's the first thing on their checklist. Also, a lot of antidepressants can cause anxiety and agitation, which could lead to acting on a suicide plan for a very depressed person.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

heart on fire

Another view:

Antidepressants' risk of suicide now called low - The Boston Globe

The bigger worry, said the authors of the suicide study published in today’s American Journal of Psychiatry, is that antidepressants don’t significantly help most people who have chronic depression. A separate major report in today’s issue of the journal found that antidepressants brought complete relief to about 30 percent of patients who have recurrent bouts of depression — and half saw no improvement at all...

MBTI
    ENTP

i always have i wish i was dead so i dont have to do this crap. At a serious level where i would really prefer dying.
    But in the end i just end up doing the crap, instead of killing myself.

For real depressed suicidal thoughts, i haven't had one in ages.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Come on... let's see if we can get to 50 people.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    ... One person replying suggested they should write the note, and leave it where the recipient would find it in plenty of time before they committed the act, to see what their reaction would be. I thought that was an interesting way to reply. (Several people had already replied trying to talk them out of it, btw.)
    That was smart.

Another way to do it is just to get them to try to make it to an arbitrary date. (Like, "Let's just go another week and talk about this, then if you don't change your mind you can do whatever...")

Often the person needs such a large change made that it seems impossible, so they just want to give up and not bother, and they're deciding between staying alive forever and killing themselves now. Getting them to merely postpone the decision sometimes gives them time to get perspective/get over the current hump.

AS far as strategy, though, all people are different. Some people ARE more selfish-minded about it or just not very aware of other perspectives and feelings that might be involved with the surrounding people. But those are acutely aware of other people and the impact(s) to begin with won't get much mileage out of being forced to once again examine how others might feel, it just feels like one more attempt to be manipulated and bound to making other people happy at their own expense.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    not bad, how about running into war with a peace balloon and a wooden gun...
    And a backup band ten feet behind me playing James Brown's "Please, Please, Please"? I'll consider it.