User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week or more.

15 13.16%
  • Once a month or more.

17 14.91%
  • Once a year or more.

13 11.40%
  • Once every few years.

8 7.02%
  • Once or twice in my life.

26 22.81%
  • Never.

35 30.70%
First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    infp

I'm such a stubborn ass that when suicidal thoughts or depression do come up (I havn't had serious suicidal thoughts or depression since I was like 14) I'm just like "fuck you!" to the whole concept of killing myself or being worthless. I still feel depressed, but with the stubborn attitude against my own emotions. It's like, fuck you suicide, if I'm going to be alive I'd rather go all out untill I can't go any more than just drift out and die! If everything sucks and death is the only option, then by going for something greater I have nothing to lose. And then I just get the hell up and do soemthing really random that I usually wouldn't that is kind of hard and I just endure it and I come out feeling good again, in kind of like a smug "I told you so, you asshole!" kind of way

But this happens less and less frequently now... it was more when I was 14 or so. Now i'm just looking at my life and all the privledges I have and I just think it would be a complete waste to kill myself. I respect the value of my life way too much.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You said "you can't hold that against them". I'm saying it's perfectly reasonable to hold it against them depending on the situation.

That is of course only our personal viewpoints.
    Well yours is poorly constructed.
    If you've any experienced with genuine suicidal inspiration you know that 'the situation' doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because the individual has a poor concept of the situation. Ergo, they can't calculate correctly.

Would you get pissed at someone if you asked them to build a bridge, but you didn't tell them where you wanted the bridge and it was the wrong size?
    They didn't have enough correct information to make a good decision.

Is it really selfish if they can't calculate correctly?
    we fukin won boys

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

only in the morning
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Well yours is poorly constructed.
    If you've any experienced with genuine suicidal inspiration you know that 'the situation' doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because the individual has a poor concept of the situation. Ergo, they can't calculate correctly.

Would you get pissed at someone if you asked them to build a bridge, but you didn't tell them where you wanted the bridge and it was the wrong size?
    They didn't have enough correct information to make a good decision.

Is it really selfish if they can't calculate correctly?
    If someone overreacts to something and calculates it right out of proportion, or even become temporally deluded and kill themselves... I'd fault them for the miscalculation, but I wouldn't call the suicide especially selfish at all.

That's an obvious exception.

But if someone is perfectly aware and conscious of what the consequences will be, who it will affect, and have perspective on the situation.... I would say suicide in that case is more selfish then someone becoming deluded or just honestly misinterpreting the situation, of course.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'd rather not assert any authority on ethics.
    Hmmm. Rather not, but I believe that most people are asserting their authority on ethics every day, whether they realize it or not. The point to voicing what ones ethical beliefs are is to make it so people don't have to abduce what your ethics are based on your actions, which is a pain in the ass, and may result in a lack of coordination that stifles much of the value of ethics (like having a doomsday device and not telling anyone about it, if you've seen Dr. Strangelove). Of course, this requires that someone has enough awareness to put a description on their own ethical beliefs, and then the honesty to actually tell people what it is.

I'd it's generally useful to accomplish those things though, if you can. It at least helps to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    only in the morning
    I'm often most depressed in the morning, too.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hmmm. Rather not, but I believe that most people are asserting their authority on ethics every day, whether they realize it or not.
    It's not exactly asserting authority to assert self. Just because I do something doesn't mean I think I'm right, or authoritative.

The point to voicing what ones ethical beliefs are is to make it so people don't have to abduce what your ethics are based on your actions, which is a pain in the ass, and may result in a lack of coordination that stifles much of the value of ethics.
    I know the point. Eh... it seems like the kind of thing that would be hard not to know.

Nice Fe, by the way.

Of course, this requires that someone has enough awareness to put a description on their own ethical beliefs, and then the honesty to actually tell people what it is.
    I don't, and wouldn't even if I did.

The only value I'm certain of is to not push my values onto anyone else.
    Even if the cost is bad relations with other people due to their failure to understand me based on my actions, which they attempted, and failed (at least for those that do) to analyze and understand, having been forced into thanks to my refusal to overtly commit to anything, for the sake of trying to avoid any potential at influencing their personal decisions.

I know I contradicted myself, but I thought, since you're prying I'd throw the dog a bone.
    we fukin won boys

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Nice Fe, by the way.
    :rolli:
    The logic of collective action, my friend.

But it will be left there, since this is not at all a place for that discussion.

I know I contradicted myself, but I thought, since you're prying I'd throw the dog a bone.
    It was unfortunately made of paper mache.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

My exit of choice would be to leap from a balcony wearing goggles, bikini bottoms and a cape; boom box in hand blasting Huey Lewis; immediately after setting myself on fire. Thoughts like this usually dispel dark ones.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    My exit of choice would be to leap from a balcony wearing goggles, bikini bottoms and a cape; boom box in hand blasting Huey Lewis; immediately after setting myself on fire. Thoughts like this usually dispel dark ones.
    not bad, how about running into war with a peace balloon and a wooden gun...
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    :rolli:
    The logic of collective action, my friend.
    Doesn't make it less Fe just because it works/makes sense...

But it will be left there, since this is not at all a place for that discussion.
    K.

I know what I believe anyway. I don't need to reach for validation by you conceding. I do however require your participation when I'm jerking you around.

It was unfortunately made of paper mache.
    Not sure I know what you mean -- it was flimsy?

Like I said, I don't assert any authority on ethics.
    we fukin won boys