User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often do you have suicidal thoughts?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week or more.

15 13.16%
  • Once a month or more.

17 14.91%
  • Once a year or more.

13 11.40%
  • Once every few years.

8 7.02%
  • Once or twice in my life.

26 22.81%
  • Never.

35 30.70%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Well, I think the rate has been steadily rising in the US for quite a time. . .

Not sure of your point, aj.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I think it is selfish of us to hold a person who commits suicide against them. Like, "damn you, I really wish you could've continued to live in absolute agony so I could be happy knowing and feeling that you exist."

There is an inherent will to live amongst all of us, when that instinctual will diminishes, some choose to die.

So be it, that is their prerogative and that is their right.
    +1

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Well, I think the rate has been steadily rising in the US for quite a time. . .

Not sure of your point, aj.
    Is it? I think it was on Nationmaster where I read that Northern Europe really isn't that different concerning suicide then most of the West.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Sometimes it *IS* other people...
    Even if it is, it doesn't help feeling sorry for yourself. Break off the people who make you feel miserable and try to start thinking with your own head instead of theirs. Theirs are probably messed up anyways if they make people wanna kill themselves.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Just a quick reflection on Jennifer and nocapszy's posts.
    Could you clarify for me how the rest of your post (mostly discussing biology) is connected to mine? I'm not getting it, maybe my brain's a little soft from the depression...

But then - that thought about hiding one's sucidal tendencies? That part of the problem. Our society places such a hard judgement on mental illness that people are afraid to seek help.

Odd thing. We don't judge people with cancer. We feel compassion for them. Maybe it's because of the behavioral problems that mentally ill people exhibit?

But they're out there in huge numbers. Functioning just like everybody else and under considerable handicap.
    To go along with that, I think we do a great disservice in life by judging other people negatively before we have asked/heard more about their situation. There is much "off the cuff" stigma attached to some illnesses, and all it does is make it worse for the afflicted, encourages them to hide or pull away further, and so damn themselves... so that people can then cluck about how their negativity was justified.

Real community acts much differently.

I don't think it's necessarily "behavioral problems" exhibited by the mentally ill, I think it's also (1) pride in one's own "coping" skills and (2) relief that one can draw some sort of line that separates them from the "obvious crazies" and so make themselves feel better about their own lives. Also, there are some situations and conditions that people see as "moral choices" or can blame the victim for, whereas they might have much more biological root than commonly understood.

It's REMARKABLE how quickly someone's tune changes once they either have to deal with a "mental illness" in either themselves or in someone they love.

One of my close friends got diagnosed with bipolar a year or two ago (his mom had it too) and it was amazing the stigma that got attached to that and just how mean and unconstructive people at the church where he worked as a pastor could be out of sheer ignorance.

If I have to be "out there" now with a label, so that people are shocked/jolted enough to get out of their complacency or faulty thinking / insensitivity, then fine, I'm willing to do that now in my life.

(note: i wasn't saying you were doing ANY of that here, my comments just happen to be attached to your post. I wasn't really sure what you were trying to say overall...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I think it is selfish of us to hold a person who commits suicide against them. Like, "damn you, I really wish you could've continued to live in absolute agony so I could be happy knowing and feeling that you exist."

There is an inherent will to live amongst all of us, when that instinctual will diminishes, some choose to die.

So be it, that is their prerogative and that is their right.
    I pretty much agree, but if someone has family and people relying on them, it's safe to say that suicide would be selfish, even if they were suffering.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Even if it is, it doesn't help feeling sorry for yourself. Break off the people who make you feel miserable and try to start thinking with your own head instead of theirs. Theirs are probably messed up anyways if they make people wanna kill themselves.
    There's situations that you can't judge on that basis really

Try crime victims or abused children for example I guess!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    That's interesting. Although in Heima they said Iceland was the happiest country on the earth. I think many of the Nordic countries break the general rule.

Like they've learned not to require strength through adversity.
    ?
    Please explain.

I've lived through a Norwegian winter.
    It was hell.

Also I think the Inuit have a high incidence of suicide - they are pretty tough people.
    I think lack of daylight for long periods of time is v. unhealthy for humans.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ?
    Please explain.

I've lived through a Norwegian winter.
    It was hell.

Also I think the Inuit have a high incidence of suicide - they are pretty tough people.
    I think lack of daylight for long periods of time is v. unhealthy for humans.
    Good points. Especially about daylight. I don't know how Iceland got the happiest country accolade. I'll have to look it up. General (perhaps only assumed by me) emotional well being may be down to their impressive HDI. Perhaps isolation and space has had a hand in it. Kind of flies in the face of my commune ideals.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I pretty much agree, but if someone has family and people relying on them, it's safe to say that suicide would be selfish, even if they were suffering.
    I think when you're at that point, such a judgment is extremely unconstructive.

You need to be dealing with the root of the problem, not telling someone they're being selfish because they don't see another way out.

Frankly, let me tell you: It didn't matter a damn, not because you don't love your family, but because you already feel like you're ruining their lives because you're so withdrawn, mean, distant, unattached, unable to express emotion, and hopeless that you end up feeling like it's better for them if you're gone and they can start over. You can't give emotionally. You feel like you can't keep a job. You end up hurting everyone you love. You feel like you're already NOT giving them anything but grief.

(So let's look at the actual options/outcomes/reality on the table here, NOT some idealized list of how they SHOULD be.)

Yeah, maybe some people are more overtly selfish about it, but I know for me this is what it was: I was cognizant of the impact of my behavior but it didn't give me any strategy by which to improve things, and I was already making their lives hell. Death was actually feeling like a release for THEM, regardless of its impact on me.

So my advice is that you need to be giving depressed people hope for change, if you want to help them, not tearing them down further.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft