User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Self image of physical appearance

I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly. Curious as to what may be considered normal by hearing how others feel.

Word, dawgs.

MBTI
    INXP

I really don't think I look like the person I see in the mirror. It doesn't look like me at all.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Cosmetic beauty is impermanent - problematically so, in terms of psychologically investing one's sense of self into how one looks.

Although it's often said, I echo the sentiment that physical attractiveness is of meager importance when weighed against qualities like personality/intelligence.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes, it changes, but the reason for that is because I change my appearance often. When I am in no good mood, I totally neglect my "looks" and turn into a hairy monster. Then I might spontaneously get rid of all my hair if I feel like it.

But usually I feel good about my attractiveness...

MBTI
    ISTx

Colmena, I'm not sure what you're saying.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Cosmetic beauty is impermanent - problematically so, in terms of psychologically investing one's sense of self into how one looks.

Although it's often said, I echo the sentiment that physical attractiveness is of meager importance when weighed against qualities like personality/intelligence.
    Fully agree but I feel like insecurity in regards to physical looks is either something you struggle with or it's not. I don't think it's a priority error, its just something that is...
    That's my opinion anyways.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    That's my opinion anyways.
    It's a very valid opinion.

To your question, I struggle with more of a social image than physical.

Deciding whether folks I'm teaching are appropriately digesting my curriculum, and if their inability has to do with the inefficacy of my lesson plan/presentation model.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'm curious to know how your self image fluctuates. Do you hold a consistent opinion on what you perceive is your level of attractiveness? For me it varies all the time. Sometimes I feel decently good looking and sometimes almost to the point of ugly.
    Yeah, that sounds about right.
    Not really sure what triggers the flip either.

(And it doesn't matter what my head tells me, the emotions do what they want.)

I've worked through other issues involving my own estimations of my intelligence, creativity, perception, sensitivity, and friendliness -- sometimes I'd feel I was much all those things, other days I'd just feel like I sucked and didn't want to engage life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    To your question, I struggle with more of a social image than physical. Deciding whether folks I'm teaching are appropriately digesting my curriculum, and if their inability has to do with the inefficacy of my lesson plan/presentation model.
    Is that really social?
    It sounds more pragmatic, with performance of self-prioritized qualities tying into your self-worth:
    "Is my strategy as effective as I think it should be? And what's this say about my skill as a teacher? And what if I'm not as skilled as I had thought?"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

it changes a little. if i had to rate myself i would rate myself a 3.5-4/10 lol
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is that really social?
    It sounds more pragmatic, with performance of self-prioritized qualities tying into your self-worth:
    "Is my strategy as effective as I think it should be? And what's this say about my skill as a teacher? And what if I'm not as skilled as I had thought?"
    Sure -

Approximating general level of student interest on the basis of how well I hold their attention, alongside a platform for social critique that involves testing, student evaluation, etc.

For my dime, my ideas are top-notch. It's when I institute them into the front lines of my rubric that I realize the weaknesses of my strategy.