User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    ^^^ This is all very much me. I need to be able to continuously jump between tasks. I occasionally manage to focus enough to work on something for half an hour if it's something that really fascinates me, but that's rare. Several minutes at a time on one task at work is about all I can handle. I often have 3 or 4 half-written emails open, and several other documents I'm part way through writing, interspersed with phone calls and talking to colleagues and reading a newspaper article and and and... When I'm writing, sometimes I stop halfway through a sentence and jump to something else, and I rarely write linearly - I jump all over the place in long documents. If I was forced to work linearly and work on one thing at a time until it was finished, the frustration and boredom would make the job unbearable.
    That is SO me! One of these days I'll start and finish something without getting distracted by a dozen other things in-between just to see if I can

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Apparently, when they say multitasking what they really mean is task-switching, quickly from one to another.

I can do that if the thinking required is shallow, but if concentration is required then I will use a lot of time trying to re-gather my train of thought once I get back to the intense project. This is especially true if I'm working on a project that requires consistency throughout. I guess I could make notes on the system I developed, so I wouldn't have to take chances on remembering it later.
    Unless I miss my guess this is precisely what my learned friend Mr Wildcat is saying. Less depth, more efficiency. Maintain your global view.

Oh and just as a side note, YOU don't do that. You are an IJ no? You suck up ALL the irrelevancies and THEN get rid of the waste. If you learned the IP way (a most difficult task if trying to work the reverse is anything to go by) and filtered out the rubbish before you set your mind upon it then you'd have spare time enough to multi thread!

INTP > INTJ

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    XNXP

I hate true multi-tasking, unless I'm doing some mindless task that requires little thought. People pointed out the difference between juggling tasks and doing them simultaneously ( "true" ) , and so I won't go into that. There is also a difference between types of tasks. Some require more concentration than others. In the macro view, this can also lead to the difference between craftsmanship and "flex" personnel. I do tend to have a lot of projects going on in my life, but I work at them one at a time, usually.

I would just tell the HR interviewers that you can handle multi-tasking, assuming the job sounds interesting to you.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Is there a personality type that can pull this off? What type is it?

I find it hard to believe that it's actually humanly possible, probably because I am a perfectionist.
    I can multi-task but the quality of the work is going to suffer a little.
    How can it not?!
    I know that "multi-tasking" is the buzzword out there.
    I just don't believe it's possible to do both - multi-task AND not let the quality of your work suffer.
    Or am I the only one who has trouble with this?
    You need a female brain.

Too bad we're both stuck with the inferior variety.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I would just tell the HR interviewers that you can handle multi-tasking, assuming the job sounds interesting to you.

As the saying goes
    "Giz a job. I can do that."
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, INTJMom, I've thought about all of the above and I'll have to PM you my thoughts, cos if I put them here I'll be lucky to get out alive...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Unless I miss my guess this is precisely what my learned friend Mr Wildcat is saying. Less depth, more efficiency. Maintain your global view.

Oh and just as a side note, YOU don't do that. You are an IJ no? You suck up ALL the irrelevancies and THEN get rid of the waste. If you learned the IP way (a most difficult task if trying to work the reverse is anything to go by) and filtered out the rubbish before you set your mind upon it then you'd have spare time enough to multi thread!

INTP > INTJ

Oh YEAH!
    That's to make sure we don't miss anything IMPORTANT because WE hate to be WRONG!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    You need a female brain.

Too bad we're both stuck with the inferior variety.
    I KNEW I was defective!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Well, INTJMom, I've thought about all of the above and I'll have to PM you my thoughts, cos if I put them here I'll be lucky to get out alive...
    I see what you mean.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    That is SO me! One of these days I'll start and finish something without getting distracted by a dozen other things in-between just to see if I can
    I've tried, many times. And I've never managed to do it, even if I have a deadline rapidly approaching (the sorts of deadlines where you count down the minutes, not the hours).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.