User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intuitiveness

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Based on the example given in this definition, one using instinct would have instantly taken in the immediate environment (ie, the roads are icy) and analyzed with their introverted judging function that they need to be cautious of accidents only to notice an accident miles down the road. Intuition may not even consider the icy road or connect the consequences however something comes over the person that says be cautious, so they do only to notice an accident down the road. The trick is did you instantly take in and analyze the probable consequences using IJ/EP or was this a sixth sense phenomenon using IP/EJ? The action is so fast and subtle, you may not know in real time. However some examples given when discussing Ni is when you feel compelled to call a relative that you have not spoken to for a long time and find that they were just in an accident.
    You hopefully forgive my unfamiliarity with the "base stealing" example ( and the book it was in ) and perhaps the "icy road" example, too, assuming that it originally came in a more expanded form.

It sounds like you are meaning "sixth sense" in the usual sense of something traditional science hasn't studied much yet. This is the first time I have seen "intuition" referred to this way in the MBTI oriented discussions.

I'm not saying that everything has to fit in to "traditional science" by any means. I have enjoyed wondering about the speculations of Rupert Sheldrake, for example.

I'm trying to make sure I understand the terminology correctly, is all. When we say "intuition" here on this board, are we all referring to approximately the same thing ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

How is instinct inborn
    Instinct is built into us, it is a fixed action pattern. Certain instincts have been built into us through evolution.

So intuitiveness has to do with using incrementally collected "knowledge" of the world to make ever increasing sense of patterns - so as to "recognize" more meaning in them

Your own collected knowledge and experience combined with instinct. Yes.

Women's intuition
    Maternal instinct plus intuition.

In everyday use I think intuition is using your five senses combined with your experience to understand what you are are perceiving. The speed of recognition is unconcious so seems to come from nowhere. To recognise a correct pattern and an incorrect one.

I think N types also use their five senses and experience to build their intuitions. N types are abstract in nature so build models in their head. Everybody does this of course but N have a preference for this. So the models they have built are also a part of their accumulated base. That is why they tend to move laterally in their thinking.

Concrete intuition and abstract intuition so to speak.

Can someone teach me how to multi quote please ?

just type in [guote] whateryouwanttowrite [/guote]

of course use the word "quote" instead of "goute"

based on what i just read, the boundary between instinct and intuition in terms of recognition seems relatively difficult. no?

Junior Member Array

I believe instinct is more of a physical, active response. One example of an instinctive response would be of a new born mammal that gets to its feet and seeks its mothers nipple. There is no conscious thought about what to do - just an action or behaviour.

Intuition on the other hand, is more of an internal awareness thing - a thought or gut feeling that informs us about the world around us (oh dear, that is a very INFJ / Enneagram 5 kind of statement).

Intuition I believe is a form of knowledge that is built up through experience. As a registered nurse with 30+ years of experience, I can walk through a ward of patients and tell you who is sickest. New nurses will tell me patient "x" is really unwell and "y" is doing really well...I can look at both patients and KNOW patient "y" is about to crash.

More and more these days, I believe I have probably unconsciously observed something about patient "y" that I have learnt over the years means a patient is likely to crash. It may be as subtle as the way the sweat beads on their lip, or the hint of a blue line around their lips for example, but somewhere that the unconsciously observed phenomenon has become associated in my mind with patients crashing. New nurses who rely more on the concrete, measurable observations - the blood pressure, oxygen levels, urine output -have yet to learn the significance of subtle signs and therefore their intuition about who is the sickest patient is often inaccurate.

Intuition = instinct coupled with experience.

3w2 so

I think about instinct as something being coded in our DNA through the years of evolution. For example babys can swim after birth or when you have a hunch about danger by instinctively connecting various information about your environment.

Intuition I see more as the ability of connecting the dots. I experienced there are people you can talk to in a way, where the discussion, if written down, would make no sense. In those situations the discussion is definitly based on experience but the ability of understanding your discussion partner somewhat exactly is not.

The general way, how intuition as compared to sensation in the way of the MBTI perceiving function should work, is how people perceive a given situation. To go on my old "party example" for instance: if a sensor comes to a party, where he knows noone, he is going to actively change that through perceiving what is given in the current situation. That ability often bears the ability to remember things someone said to you, even the person who said it, does not remember. It is analyzing the scenery through turning towards the real and tangible.

While the intuitor is more likely to develop his own game plan. He would notice crucial things about the scenery but the main way of perception will be through ones own imagination. Strong feelings or convictions will flash into the mind, like for example "ouh man the guy with the armani coat, haven't had sex in a long time." or "if that woman treats her flowers the way she looks at people, no wonder, if they were dead".

To distinguish theory from reality, it has to be strongly remembered that every MBTI personality uses S or N likely. So there is no real thing like "intuitors" or "sensors". It is more defined by oneselves preferences, which one has given, while taking the MBTI test.
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray