• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking about thinking

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
How aware are you of your own thinking?

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being rather cerebellic, automatic body functions like breathing and heartrate, 10 being the able to sense and manipulate your thinking like you would your hand.

ever since i can remember ive had a strange awareness of my own thought patterns, and like learning to walk, i learned to control it like i would an appendage; to the point where consciousness is more like putty, allowing the user to form it into whatever tool and perspective necessary.

but with control comes power, and with power comes responsibility, this can lead one to distrust themselves and their own thinking, and often times others' (which is due to projection)... because people are in control of themselves and thus selfish. without the ability to act "naturally", there is an illusion that not only is a person that is in control of their mind and body completely responsible for it, but also that they are in control of what occurs to them and even their surrounding environment. it was 4 years ago, when i reached a peak, that i realized it was unhealthy.

it was this inability to know what was real and what was merely a selfish mental creation that drove me to find objectivity, and my degree of mental control that allowed me to use it for good and, finally, learn to let go of it. i dont think it is something i will ever be completely free of, but i can at least reach a point where i can identify most objective framework and isolate where where my choices are being made and why.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Another stunning post, dude :nice:

Yep, I relate to all of that. Nothing to add :)

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmm...this is a very interesting topic and one that I sort of have been inadvertently tackling for a while now. As for me right now I would still say I'm still in the first process you went through. I guess I'm still trying to cultivate my ability to manipulate my thinking and it is a somewhat frightening experience because your sphere of control is a very hard thing to get a perspective on when you are too concerned with "thinking about thinking".

Like Substitute I am at somewhat of a loss as to what to add on. I don't know whether I should get more in to the theory of meta-cognitive abilities or more the real life benefits and problems that this line of thinking can cause.

ygolo

My termites win
[...]but i can at least reach a point where i can identify most objective framework and isolate where where my choices are being made and why.

:nice:

I want to learn to do that.

Overall I rather aware of my own thoughts, and can metacognate, but not to the point where I see where my actual choices are.

To put a number on it, I'll 7 is my level of awareness of my own thoughts.

Bohm called it proprioception of thoughts.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Somewhere between 6 and 8 I would say on the whole. In moments of extreme stress and self-analysis, 9.

I understand and relate to all that you've said.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
if you dont have something to add to the topic itself, then perhaps you could write about your own personal experiences with this (as you grew up and developed, etc)

Bohm called it proprioception of thoughts.

interesting...

for me it was something i realized was happening when i was 5 or so (i was in preschool at the time), where a thought would occur, then i would introspect on the thought, deduct the essential workings of it (and eventually reasons, motives, etc) then introspect on the introspection. this would loop (or overlap?) over and over until patterns occurred and then it would expand exponentially. when i began to observe other people it was easy to recognize the vector and layer of their thinking.

at a certain point, i realized a root motivation was to find the boundaries and then make an educated decision as to where to place myself within them, which is a behavior i have seen in myself in other ways ("spreading out then settling"). after developing layers and layers, someone can freely roam between them (or not?) comfortably. :) i dont have enough information to say for sure, but i think this is power/tool development behavior.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
this is also why i admire idealism, from a "thinking strategy" standpoint it is an effective approach, even if not always entirely factual, due to subconcious target fixation

I don't know whether I should get more in to the theory of meta-cognitive abilities or more the real life benefits and problems that this line of thinking can cause.

either? ...both? :)

i think it is a very interesting topic, thinking is something everyone does, so everyone can relate to it at least in some way

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree. Basically for a while now a large majority of what I have been interested has a root in that. MBTI, Education and curriculum differentiation, a little neurology, cognitive psychology, "left/right brain " thinking, blooms taxonomy, piaget's formal operations...etc. I'll think about it and try and come up with a more relevant and decent post later.

On the theory side of things I think there is a massive amount that can be discussed, I really need to stop being lazy though and direct and converge my thoughts into something more concise.

I do have one question though. would you say that you have a more clear and multi-purpose ordered mental state?

that is to say have you reached a point where your confident in fully utilizing your meta-cognitive abilities for a wide variety of things and are you very aware of all the processes?

redacted

I always find myself getting into these ridiculous loops of thinking about thinking. Especially with a psychology framework, you can break down any desire/thought whatever into these larger motivational schemes. I've gotten to the point where I can, in an extremely detailed way, break down every action I take into a hierarchy of motivations reacting with the environment.

I know how I think, I think about my thinking, I come up with plans for change, etc. But then I just watch all of my plans go out the window in response to some stimulus. It happens over and over again -- I see the exact way out, I can write out a list of tasks, and then I watch myself not do it, and think about why I'm not implementing my plans, and then think about how I have now defined myself as someone who doesn't implement tasks, which is really just a coping mechanism for the fear of success, because with success comes pressure to maintain success. The whole thing is a giant coping mechanism for getting out of the stress of the moment and getting into the pleasure I find in ordering my thoughts. Why do I need that coping mechanism? Well, it traces back to my relationship with my mother, my school environment, my abilities, my interaction with my brother, etc.

(I could go on forever).

The conclusion is, you can think about your thinking all you want, and it's good to an extent, but it turns into an escape, a drug. Thinking about thinking means you're not thinking about the external world. You pay to think about thinking, in the currency of time in reality.

Blah, I'm in a really weird mood this week.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
The conclusion is, you can think about your thinking all you want, and it's good to an extent, but it turns into an escape, a drug. Thinking about thinking means you're not thinking about the external world. You pay to think about thinking, in the currency of time in reality.

interesting...

for me it was something i realized was happening when i was 5 or so (i was in preschool at the time), where a thought would occur, then i would introspect on the thought, deduct the essential workings of it (and eventually reasons, motives, etc) then introspect on the introspection. this would loop (or overlap?) over and over until patterns occurred and then it would expand exponentially. when i began to observe other people it was easy to recognize the vector and layer of their thinking.

at a certain point, i realized a root motivation was to find the boundaries and then make an educated decision as to where to place myself within them, which is a behavior i have seen in myself in other ways ("spreading out then settling"). after developing layers and layers, someone can freely roam between them (or not?) comfortably. :) i dont have enough information to say for sure, but i think this is power/tool development behavior.

hmm... interesting response when I read yours and Grayscales post it made me sort of think of some of the overarching ideas in your Induction vs Deduction thread. It seems to me the general consensus is that at first you're not really aware of your thought process until you see them repeated enough or analyze them enough to where you can order or systematize them in some way.

I guess another issue is how removed you can get from the environment when you focus to heavily on your systematized thought processes and not put enough trust in your more "inductive" thought processes or those that are more raw and externally oriented.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I reflect on things, including reflection itself etc. I rehearse possibilities and extrapolate probabilities of which possibilities I am more likely to encounter etc., but I don't think I address my subconscious much ( other than indirectly through dream and poetic metaphor etc. ) or it wouldn't be a SUBconscious. ( I am not one of those people who can drastically change his metabolic processes just by thinking about them. )

I am very interested in the subject of consciousness, though, and have been reading some interesting books lately on that and Qualia etc. I created several threads on this at INTPc. ( Ramachandran and others. )

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I reflect on things, including reflection itself etc. I rehearse possibilities and extrapolate probabilities of which possibilities I am more likely to encounter etc., but I don't think I address my subconscious much ( other than indirectly through dream and poetic metaphor etc. ) or it wouldn't be a SUBconscious. ( I am not one of those people who can drastically change his metabolic processes just by thinking about them. )

I am very interested in the subject of consciousness, though, and have been reading some interesting books lately on that and Qualia etc. I created several threads on this at INTPc. ( Ramachandran and others. )

I am a little curious/interested in some of your thoughts on consciousness. I remember reading a couple of books about neuro-plasticity and how much conscious control you can have over some of your conscious processes. Pardon my ignorance but are those names you mentioned more spiritual, religious type people? I think there was a study relatively recently that looked at a bunch of monks and found remarkable evidence of how much control they had over the states of "consciousness".

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Compared against everyone I've ever known, I'll give myself a 10.
Compared to what I could be I'd give myself a 1.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP

I think that response sort of highlights the difficulty in measuring it on a scale. Can you ever reach a point where you feel like you have maximized your meta-cognitive ability. It seems like it is necessary and somewhat desirable for it to be sort of a continuous loop. I think there needs to be a constant striving to reorganize as you experience more and receive more data and also on a comparative basis I'm sure everyone has a very unique and varied cognitive system.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I do have one question though. would you say that you have a more clear and multi-purpose ordered mental state?

that is to say have you reached a point where your confident in fully utilizing your meta-cognitive abilities for a wide variety of things and are you very aware of all the processes?

I think that response sort of highlights the difficulty in measuring it on a scale. Can you ever reach a point where you feel like you have maximized your meta-cognitive ability. It seems like it is necessary and somewhat desirable for it to be sort of a continuous loop. I think there needs to be a constant striving to reorganize as you experience more and receive more data and also on a comparative basis I'm sure everyone has a very unique and varied cognitive system.

i am confident in my ability to be cognitively "resourceful", but i dont think it would be possible to ever reach a stopping point. you do, however, tend to take larger "leaps" less often, because as time goes in more things will fit into the existing pattern structure, and it is exponentially less likely that you will encounter a need for metacognitive expansion.

most of the time it plateus into a balance between application and introspective scanning, when the pattern breaks substantially then a closer, hyperanalysis can begin. of course, i have also considered the need many have (myself included) for reaching a point of "rest"... then, behind the growth of metacognitive awareness is also the development of ability to camouflage thinking within the pattern, so one must also be more tedious about spotting the inconsistencies when introspecting.

the brain can be tricky :thelook: it is a constant battle, always striving to reach into the meta-conscious, needing the sub-conscious but always being wary of its assumptions. eventually I just say the hell with it and go play a game of twister.

Last edited:

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I am a little curious/interested in some of your thoughts on consciousness.
Ramachandran is a scientist, but you're right about monks. I read that certain Zen practitioners constantly oscillate back and forth between Theta wave state and a waking state when in a certain meditative mode.

Thanks for your interest. When I have a little more time I'll expand.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
So if we're all here thinking about metacognition, is that metametacognition? Or metacognition cognition?

I'll have to think about that...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this is also why i admire idealism, from a "thinking strategy" standpoint it is an effective approach, even if not always entirely factual, due to subconcious target fixation

That's horrible. Please leave idealism out of all of your "strategizing".

heart

heart on fire
Thinking about thinking is probably the most important thinking that can be thought.