First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Why is that?

MBTI
    INTP

I was just reading this book called the Paradox Of Wisdom..I think, but anyways one of the things I found really interesting was the authors take on the Left/Right brain split in terms of learning.

His take was that the right brain is much more active when engaged in new activities and with more repetition and experience the left brain is utilized much more and less intensively than the right. I remember reading a bunch of things about how most Intuitors are right brain dominant and it got me thinking maybe thats why striving for novel experiences are so important.

Hmm.... maybe someone with more experience and knowledge in the neuro-sciences can help paint a better picture or come up with a more interesting perspective. Could it be that right brain dominant individuals are better able to utilize that part of the brain and can in fact withhold as much transfer to the left side.

I think though that I don't "ever" really come to a point where something is so routinized that I don't see a new aspect or don't get the feeling that I can alter it somehow, I don't know it seems like I will never have the raw proficiency that I've observed some S's have. It seems like my intelligence and ability lie in my ability to be creative and ask the right questions for each situation. I think I sometimes foolishly rely on my ability to think quickly on my feet and utilize my meta-cognitive abilities for new situations.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    infp

I think about different perspectives and different ways to see things. I want to see what I turn it into... like...

This is what it is(1 variable)>>>>This is what it could be(many variables depending on the options I see)>>>Choice(one of the options or perspectives is chosen)>>>Action (realizing this choice into reality)

And then from there I chose how to tackle it based on what my motivation is (i.e. fun, work, creativity, ect). For example, at my school's Model UN club I saw it as a way to either learn current world politics, discuss world issues and hear different solutions, or have some fun and play devil's advocate and see just how far I can take the more absurd and rediculous arguments. I chose devil's advocate, and me and my friends are always Iran or North Korea because their perspectives play the best clown to the West's straight man. The result in action? Huge laughs!

I find that following through with that model really works well and helps me execute my decisions. It's really good motivation.

I wouldn't rate how I think about my thinking because it wouldn't go anywhere or mean anything or make any sense. I don't really think about my thinking, but rather my own personality and matters of self esteem and self confidence/ability, and what my own life is worth and how I should handle it. I'm more interested in the functions of creativity than thought anyway...

MBTI
    INTP

^ I think though that those things you focus on can really help clear your thoughts and help you utilize them more. I don't think that aspect is trivial at all, as a matter of fact I would say its probably one of the most important things I've learned. Having some insight in to your emotions and ambitions helps your thinking be productive.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Thinking about thinking is probably the most important thinking that can be thought.
    Ya think?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Thinking about thinking is probably the most important thinking that can be thought.
    I'm DOOMED!!!

I just think, I don't sit and think about it.

I guess there's the fear that when you think about thinking it loses some of its magic- like when cartoon characters run over the edge of a cliff and as long as they look down they don't fall.

I let my thoughts run free and they keep me going nicely, thinking about thinking wastes time I could be thinking of something else
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

If thinking about thinking is the most important kind of thinking, then no thinking except thinking about thinking would be thought, leaving no thinking on anything other than thinking about thinking about thinking available to think on.

Recursive thinking is not good thinking.

MBTI
    INTJ

When I get overly aware of my thoughts, I have a panic attack.

MBTI
    INTP

I think it can quickly spiral downwards when you are thinking about emotionally charged things, THAT never ends well.

I like to play scenarios over in my head and break down my strategies and compare it in different contexts and what not and try and apply it to future situations. Letting go of the breaks and just following a line of thought until it has no immediate context or tangible aspects is also a fun little game I like to play.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    When I get overly aware of my thoughts, I have a panic attack.
    How interesting. I go in exactly the opposite direction. The more I am aware of my thoughts, the deeper I go. Until I let go of the external world until I am simply dancing and floating in the world of thought.

And then as I come back to the external world, it is as though I am waking up.

It is as though the world is waking up with me, and we are both refreshed and relaxed.