User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    I reflect on things, including reflection itself etc. I rehearse possibilities and extrapolate probabilities of which possibilities I am more likely to encounter etc., but I don't think I address my subconscious much ( other than indirectly through dream and poetic metaphor etc. ) or it wouldn't be a SUBconscious. ( I am not one of those people who can drastically change his metabolic processes just by thinking about them. )

    I am very interested in the subject of consciousness, though, and have been reading some interesting books lately on that and Qualia etc. I created several threads on this at INTPc. ( Ramachandran and others. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I reflect on things, including reflection itself etc. I rehearse possibilities and extrapolate probabilities of which possibilities I am more likely to encounter etc., but I don't think I address my subconscious much ( other than indirectly through dream and poetic metaphor etc. ) or it wouldn't be a SUBconscious. ( I am not one of those people who can drastically change his metabolic processes just by thinking about them. )

    I am very interested in the subject of consciousness, though, and have been reading some interesting books lately on that and Qualia etc. I created several threads on this at INTPc. ( Ramachandran and others. )
    I am a little curious/interested in some of your thoughts on consciousness. I remember reading a couple of books about neuro-plasticity and how much conscious control you can have over some of your conscious processes. Pardon my ignorance but are those names you mentioned more spiritual, religious type people? I think there was a study relatively recently that looked at a bunch of monks and found remarkable evidence of how much control they had over the states of "consciousness".
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  3. #13
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Compared against everyone I've ever known, I'll give myself a 10.
    Compared to what I could be I'd give myself a 1.
    we fukin won boys

  4. #14
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Compared against everyone I've ever known, I'll give myself a 10.
    Compared to what I could be I'd give myself a 1.
    I think that response sort of highlights the difficulty in measuring it on a scale. Can you ever reach a point where you feel like you have maximized your meta-cognitive ability. It seems like it is necessary and somewhat desirable for it to be sort of a continuous loop. I think there needs to be a constant striving to reorganize as you experience more and receive more data and also on a comparative basis I'm sure everyone has a very unique and varied cognitive system.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I do have one question though. would you say that you have a more clear and multi-purpose ordered mental state?

    that is to say have you reached a point where your confident in fully utilizing your meta-cognitive abilities for a wide variety of things and are you very aware of all the processes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Compared against everyone I've ever known, I'll give myself a 10.
    Compared to what I could be I'd give myself a 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think that response sort of highlights the difficulty in measuring it on a scale. Can you ever reach a point where you feel like you have maximized your meta-cognitive ability. It seems like it is necessary and somewhat desirable for it to be sort of a continuous loop. I think there needs to be a constant striving to reorganize as you experience more and receive more data and also on a comparative basis I'm sure everyone has a very unique and varied cognitive system.

    i am confident in my ability to be cognitively "resourceful", but i dont think it would be possible to ever reach a stopping point. you do, however, tend to take larger "leaps" less often, because as time goes in more things will fit into the existing pattern structure, and it is exponentially less likely that you will encounter a need for metacognitive expansion.

    most of the time it plateus into a balance between application and introspective scanning, when the pattern breaks substantially then a closer, hyperanalysis can begin. of course, i have also considered the need many have (myself included) for reaching a point of "rest"... then, behind the growth of metacognitive awareness is also the development of ability to camouflage thinking within the pattern, so one must also be more tedious about spotting the inconsistencies when introspecting.

    the brain can be tricky it is a constant battle, always striving to reach into the meta-conscious, needing the sub-conscious but always being wary of its assumptions. eventually I just say the hell with it and go play a game of twister.
    Last edited by Grayscale; 10-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member kuranes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Posts
    1,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I am a little curious/interested in some of your thoughts on consciousness.
    Ramachandran is a scientist, but you're right about monks. I read that certain Zen practitioners constantly oscillate back and forth between Theta wave state and a waking state when in a certain meditative mode.

    Thanks for your interest. When I have a little more time I'll expand.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

  7. #17
    perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    So if we're all here thinking about metacognition, is that metametacognition? Or metacognition cognition?

    I'll have to think about that...
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

  8. #18
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    meta^n cognition

  9. #19
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    this is also why i admire idealism, from a "thinking strategy" standpoint it is an effective approach, even if not always entirely factual, due to subconcious target fixation
    That's horrible. Please leave idealism out of all of your "strategizing".

  10. #20
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Thinking about thinking is probably the most important thinking that can be thought.

Similar Threads

  1. What do you think about?
    By proteanmix in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 01:48 AM
  2. When you think about it...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
  3. [MBTItm] what do you NF's think about ENT's?
    By sakuraba in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM
  4. Something Most People Rarely Ever Stop to Think About...
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
  5. North American Union: How Would You Feel/Think About It?
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO