User Tag List

MBTI
    XNXP

Default First Attempts At Humor ( Children )

Parents will be most resourceful here, perhaps. Or think back to when you were a child. Tell jokes that you once ( or current children ) thought/think funny.

They are often funny in a recursive sort of way by being ....not funny. Something like "Plan 9 From Outer Space" etc. but different. Sometimes they show originality ( "out of the mouths of babes " ) and sometimes the fact that the child thought that it was funny illustrates a phase they are going through, a new level of maturity.

A child was asked to complete this bromide. "Two heads are better than______" ??????

The child's answer - "None."

Remember long ago, if it was yourself, or, when kids try to tell dirty jokes for the first time ?

What about corney old jokes like "What's the biggest pencil in the world ?"
    "Pennsylvania" Kids go through a stage where they really like stuff like this, and then they discard it. What is the next stage of humor for them ? How do they go about deciding to transition to the next level ?

Is it related to them being able to enjoy a game even more if they know there is a chance of losing it ? When they are especially young, sometimes they can't stand to lose, and so parents "playing" a game with them are challenged to make it more than just going through the motions, but yet still having to subvert it somehow.

Old people can be like this, too. I remember when I bartended at this one place, an old codger would often show up and ask me a riddle. I don't know if he just liked playing with me, or if he was truly that forgetful.

It was always the same riddle.

He'd ask - "Who's the king of corn?"

I'd say "You got me. Who is it, John ?"

"POP Corn !!" he'd say, and then laugh for a few minutes like it was hilarious.

He tipped well, and so I always went along with it to some degree. Sometimes someone else would "do the honors". It was like hearing a familiar pinball machine noise or something. Just part of the night noises.

An old street bum's joke to me one night - "Candy tastes good when you aint got no teef ! Ha Ha Ha "
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My son (fifth grade) thinks he's hilarious, but only recently has he started making some truly funny jokes.

Him: What do you call a Wii with one controller?
    Victim: I don't know, what?
    Him: A Mii!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My son (fifth grade) thinks he's hilarious, but only recently has he started making some truly funny jokes.

haha! funny.. intelligent kid
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I can't remember specific jokes I made as a child. There were too many. But this is an interesting topic.

I know that I liked to do impressions of people - change my voice, the way I walked. And I think sometimes my jokes pissed my mom off. Again, I can't remember any particulars, but I vaguely remember times when I'd hit a sore spot inadvertently when I really meant no harm. I need to ask my mom about this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My mom recently asked Thing 2 if he needed a clean diaper. He answered "No. You can't change me." That would have been funny in its own way, but then she asked "Why not?" And he replied, trying not to smile: "Because. It's changerous." Baby's first pun.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My mom recently asked Thing 2 if he needed a clean diaper. He answered "No. You can't change me." That would have been funny in its own way, but then she asked "Why not?" And he replied, trying not to smile: "Because. It's changerous." Baby's first pun.
    Ivy, thats not just creative & intelligent, its super cute too
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've been funny since the maximum age of five, though I wasn't very adept at that point...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

When I was two, I would roll around on the floor yelling "poopoo". The crowd went wild.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

As far as I can remember, my humor was always a play on words and sometimes people's names. I always found myself liking corny jokes -- like the ones in Highlights magazines -- and James Bond-like puns. In high school, I began to enjoy sex jokes, but it wasn't the fact it revolved around sex, but the entendre -- I always found myself admiring innuendos (though not just sexual), and I use them, as well.

I was also a big fan of Jim Carrey humor growing up, as well. And my early exposure to The Three Stooges made me appreciate slapstick.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sounds very precocious !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When I was two, I would roll around on the floor yelling "poopoo". The crowd went wild.
    * considers putting in sig *
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.