User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Default Varied Identities

We all take on different roles and aspects of our personalities in different situations... some of us to a greater degree than others. There might be work-you, family-you, guy-friends-you, girl-friends-you?

How many different people are you?

Do you surprise yourself with how differently you can act (flirty, grumpy, silly, argumentative)?

On one hand, I feel it's sometimes constraining that a subset of people expect to see certain parts of you ... to the point where they fail to see what you're really capable of. On the other hand, putting on a persona can also be liberating- exaggerating and projecting the traits you really want to take on. Where does pretending become real?

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

bravo
    i think, and albeit i am
    which is the problem
    i think too much and am too many people

it is extremely tiring and taxes my efficiency and moral
    "it" probably being someone who holds his tongue until the razor wit cuts his hand
    so yeah
    i don't reveal anything, and the reaction is a person who shifts himself to fit the most "happy" outcome
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Where does pretending become real?
    The only sin you can commit in Oz is to be pretentious. And I love pretending. Fortunately my confessor tells me the best way to beat temptation is to give in to it.

But pretending is like dancing. It's simple - you just move your feet - you just move your body to the music.

Or in meditation, you just move your feet to the inner music - you move your whole body to your inner music.

Or if you are in love, you move your feet with the movements of your lover - or you move your whole body in tune with your lover.

So you might say, at first you pretend to be the music - or you pretend to be your inner self - or if you are very lucky, you pretend to be your lover.

You become alive to the music and the music becomes alive for you.

You move together until you can barely tell the difference between you and the music, the inner and love.

Until the difference disappears, and you become the music. Or you become your inner life. Or you become one with your lover.

It is at this precise moment - at this moment of oneness - that the pretending becomes real.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

Until the difference disappears, and you become the music. Or you become your inner life. Or you become one with your lover.
    You describe the trance very well, Victor.

Moving without thought, to a harmony set into play by another.

Such is the good life, no?

Maybe the secret is the connection itself, rather than the medium adopted to achieve it. A way to bridge the inconsistencies that would otherwise divide us.

Tolkien spoke of such a dance in his epic. "The Music of the Ainur". From their notes, became creation. This symphony brought about the beginning of his world.

And, from Tolkien's "Music", we realize much in the way of contemporary creation. From his books, an entire universe.

The medium itself is interchangeable; the message timeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    You describe the trance very well, Victor.

Moving without thought, to a harmony set into play by another.

Such is the good life, no?

Maybe the secret is the connection itself, rather than the medium adopted to achieve it. A way to bridge the inconsistencies that would otherwise divide us.

Tolkien spoke of such a dance in his epic. "The Music of the Ainur". From their notes, became creation. This symphony brought about the beginning of his world.

And, from Tolkien's "Music", we realize much in the way of contemporary creation. From his books, an entire genre.

The medium itself is interchangeable; the message timeless.
    Yes, this is brilliant, Night.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, this is brilliant, Night.
    Thank you, Victor. You are a very kind audience.

Brilliance stems from a single point; a beginning.
    Your point is the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Thank you, Victor. You are a very kind audience.

Brilliance stems from a single point; a beginning.
    Your point is the beginning.
    And a beginning poet always wants to become one with their poem - the beginner wants to live their poem - especially if it is a love poem.

I find it very hard to think of anything nicer than a beginner.

So let us begin.

MBTI
    INFP

Haha! I love the "no you're great...no you're great conversation" going on right now .
    sometimes I think I "never am" I feel like who I am is changeable to my will of letting myself be changed (which is..most of the time) and is never consistent, I could be turned into anything anytime it is hard for me to dissociate myself from people or my environment. "Chameleon"...pretty much what I act like. I look to others for guidances, directions..."rules", everything I own is borrowed or stolen basically.Well not everything, the only thing I haven't borrowed is the "substance" of that "play dough".
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    Haha! I love the "no you're great...no you're great conversation" going on right now .
    You hit it on the head, Dwigie.

That's the secret, really. Identity is mimicry; flattery by incorporation of desirable traits into oneself.

Where do my traits come from?
    You, of course.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

My identity changes from person to person and I cant clearly say where the limit goes. As far as I can tell, my mind does this pretty automatically. There are different people, and I am not ready to open myself to most of them. Actually that's a clear line: "Open / Not Open" But there are different areas in both of these. For my family and friends I am open, but for acquaintances I might be either, depending on how much I click with the person.