User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    NeTi

Default IQ and patience.

So, I'm a smart person (I've tested everywhere from 130-141), and very impatient to boot. I find myself speaking down to most people, and when I don't dumb down my speech, they often misunderstand me. This leads to me being rather bigoted against people of average intelligence or below (they become boring too quickly and I just want to move on).

So, I was wondering, how many of you have this same problem? What's your IQ?
    The enemy's gate is down.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

:rolli: I'm glad you're so ashamed of your "problem" that you've completely rationalized it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Terian View Post
    So, I'm a smart person (I've tested everywhere from 130-141), and very impatient to boot. I find myself speaking down to most people, and when I don't dumb down my speech, they often misunderstand me. This leads to me being rather bigoted against people of average intelligence or below (they become boring too quickly and I just want to move on).

1 point more than yours. That's high enough for me to lose patience with this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    1 point more than yours. That's high enough for me to lose patience with this thread.
    Marry me.

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    :rolli: I'm glad you're so ashamed of your "problem" that you've completely rationalized it.
    Wait. I should feel ashamed? Who ever said that?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

first off - iq does not make you a smart person
    it measures the capacity for a specific intelligence
    but true genius is inscrutable - at least baffling in its undefined and yet indelible prescence

but to skin a cat, i have the same problem - its not their problem
    and my iq is in the 140 to 150 range , although this random guy said 174
    wtf ?
    but yeah
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    first off - iq does not make you a smart person
    it measures the capacity for a specific intelligence
    but true genius is inscrutable - at least baffling in its undefined and yet indelible prescence

but to skin a cat, i have the same problem - its not their problem
    and my iq is in the 140 to 150 range , although this random guy said 174
    wtf ?
    but yeah
    True, IQ does not equate with actual intelligence. However, it's an excellent indicator. It does equate with a higher capacity for understanding (italicized to reflect the concept of "understanding", rather than the definition).
    I never mentioned true genius. However, I disagree with you that it is inscrutable. Everything is reducible. All that is required to scrutinize genius are boundaries for its application.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I never mentioned true genius.
    Good observation
    Quote Originally Posted by Terian
    However, I disagree with you that it is inscrutable. Everything is reducible. All that is required to scrutinize genius are boundaries for its application.
    I concede to this and how i.q. is a fair indicator
    but do you really think that it can be reduced to numbers ?
    I would think so - everything is a number, everything is everything - blah blah blah

but my cynicism is based on the inadequacy of the tests
    the inconsistent fluctuations of range qualifications and history questions on i.q. tests ? eww
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    I concede to this and how i.q. is a fair indicator
    but do you really think that it can be reduced to numbers ?
    I would think so - everything is a number, everything is everything - blah blah blah

but my cynicism is based on the inadequacy of the tests
    the inconsistent fluctuations of range qualifications and history questions on i.q. tests ? eww
    I did not say that genius could be reduced to a single number. Since there are many types of genius, there would have to be subcategories and classifications, but yes, in the end (if you took it that far) you could reduce someone's measure of genius to the point of comparative significance (say, 14a5b=Mozart's musical genius).

I'm not saying that current IQ tests are the perfect formula, and I agree with you that a lot of the questions are dependent upon circumstantial upbringing factors (has Kid A ever even heard Word B?), hence imperfect. However, debating the validity of Intelligence Quotients is straying from the topic.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

My IQ has tested in the 145-150 range. I don't really have a problem with needing to 'dumb down' my speech for anyone, nor do I feel the need to talk down to individuals whom I deem are less intelligent than I. Guess it's a problem particular to you.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness