• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and patience.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Sorry- it's more like telling a woman that she's immature for being upset about being raped. She has every right to be frustrated.

Actually, it's more like a hyperactive woman blaming being hyperactice on being a woman.

See, just replace the words;

Actually, it's more like a high IQer blaming being impatient on being a high IQer.

Tada!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
And that is insulting. It's similar to telling a woman that it's her fault for being raped.

Impatience, a problem within yourself that (much like ADD or ADHD, I know from personal experience) can be managed. There's no cure for impatience, but it can be managed. That comes from looking within yourself for ways to cope with your need to make things go faster. Children want things now and immediately, which is impatience. Most people gain a lot of it as they age and grasp experience and wisdom.. but some never grow out of their impatience naturally, in which case you need to look into yourself for relief. No one can cure your impatience, only pity you for having it.

Rape, an physical act forced upon another victim.. I cannot believe you claim yourself intelligent and made that connection somehow. To compare your minor problem with a terrible life-altering attack like rape.. it's narcissistic of you. Not to mention disgusting.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Sorry- it's more like telling a woman that she's immature for being upset about being raped. She has every right to be frustrated.
Yeah, not really tho, actually.

Intelligence isn't a crime, doesn't necessarily make you a victim, and is potentially even an asset. There's a downside to everything of course. Less some things than others.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
you read him all wrong I think he meant similar to being a DRAMA queen. THAT I can agree with.

If he meant that, I'm sure he would have said that. Being a drama queen is not at all connected to being frustrated (an understatement) about being raped.

Oy. I have to edit: I meant this not to sound sarcastic toward you. I too cannot stand the everyday drama queen bullshit females have a tendacy to do.. but it's comparing that to something entirely different and off topic.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
And that is insulting. It's similar to telling a woman that it's her fault for being raped.

This is a bullshit statement.

Way to utterly miss the point.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Lol. I conveniently discarded the rape analogy and replaced it with my own.

"And that is insulting. It's similar to being a Drama queen."

I think it reads much better that way.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Lol. I conveniently discarded the rape analogy and replaced it with my own.

"And that is insulting. It's similar to being a Drama queen."

I think it reads much better that way.

Lol! In that case, read on ^_^b

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
Wow. A lot of you guys are assholes.

I'm not going to take any more crap from you people.

There is only a great minority of you that are constructive, wise, and capable of giving someone else the benefit of the doubt. The problem is that everyone else ascribes to having those same traits.

Kyuuei, I know you're trying your best to understand, but you're still missing it. I think your heart's in the right place, but lack of experience in this issue leads to lack of understanding (just as nobody but a rape victim can understand what she's been through). You're an intelligent and charismatic person, and I give you kudos on trying to relate to me, but very little of what you said applies (however, you have made great progress since your initial post).

Aimahn- you're an asshole.

Jack Flak, open your mind a little and exercise a little of that Extroverted iNtuition.

Night- Way to utterly ignore my corrected post and the point I was trying to make.

ptgatsby- I have nothing to say that would make any difference.

(And here come the comments regarding my immaturity, lack of intelligence, etc.

Goodbye, people. I really doubt I'll want to converse with most of you again. I do like ThatGirl and Uber, though. Oh well.)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You're definitely right about one thing: I'm not totally capable of understanding what you're going through. I have the ability to slow myself down for others and adjust to whatever level of patience I need (for the most part. No one's perfect on these matters and I am still young). I wasn't when I was younger, but experience is what has taught me otherwise. You miss out on too much when you're impatient.

I also feel you still do not acknowledge the root of what I am trying to say. I feel it absolutely applies.. since I'm sure you'd rather answers and objective criticism instead of simple sympathies (which aren't a bad thing in and of themselves either.) I feel we'll just agree to disagree on this.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Relax man. I actually really do identify with some of what you said. I just think its more a presentation communication issue more than a problem with you. I definitely think that comparison was a little over blown and dramatized and I commented accordingly.

I think though that your actions in this thread are a good indicator though. I don't see why its so necessary to be confrontational and belittling on top of that, while at the same time complaining about the issue your complaining about.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Terian, I do believe that you are over-reacting a tad bit.
Remember; you are not the only highly intelligent person replying to this thread, and many of them are quite wise and experienced. From what I'm viewing as an objective observer, everyone simply has a more lighthearted view on the subject, where as you are finding personal attacks in their humor.

You are very intelligent, and I do believe that you have every ability to be mature...
But remember that calling people "assholes" when they don't respond the way you want does not typically support this view ;)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
You are very intelligent, and I do believe that you have every ability to be mature...
But remember that calling people "assholes" when they don't respond the way you want does not typically support this view ;)

Actually, the whole this whole thread is very typically high-IQ.

The number one problem with having IQ is that they lack the ability to communicate properly. However, this is rarely a widespread excuse. A good example is here - most of the people here are easily with the 2 SD it takes to be able to communicate relatively well. The problem is, bad communication and such are personality issues that are trained to come for the fore front in high-IQ people. It takes a combination of traits to make it express itself. Not surprisingly, you get lots of impatience between... Js and Ps. Ts and Fs. Is and Es! In fact, every single difference is a source of it.

One could step back and view this thread from the ability to relate to others. It would of been easy to restate the OP in a positive way rather than make it sounds like an ego trip. I mean really, this is the OP:

So, I'm a smart person (I've tested everywhere from 130-141), and very impatient to boot. I find myself speaking down to most people, and when I don't dumb down my speech, they often misunderstand me. This leads to me being rather bigoted against people of average intelligence or below (they become boring too quickly and I just want to move on).

Essentially self-identifying as special and rude to inferiors. That's not good communication.

Failing that, the clarifying post could of mentioned their good intentions, rather than:

Yay, look what I've done! You all get to brag and sneer at me at the same time, while seemingly contributing to a discussion! (...) That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.

It's nice to say that IQ and impatience is related, but that's not going to end up being his problem. It is specifically the inability to relate to others that makes it frustrating. Even in this thread! Frustration comes from not being able to express yourself and not having others understand you. IQ is the shield between the lacking skill and the self-image of competence.

But whatever. I've dealt with it myself, having been through it all. The only thing I learnt from it is that until someone has already come face to face with their own issues, no amount of help matters. I guess you could say that I have near infinite patience with those that I think can gain from insight, and next to none for those that pretend to want it.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I know :) I've been trying not to come off as critical, and I really don't mean to be; I am sincere in what I say (my use of emoticons is not meant as sarcasm, as some people use them).
I have trouble with communicating with people at times; I think anyone who has a high IQ has had some frustrating time with it. The issue lies in remedying that situation.

A lot of people who have commented do understand what it was like, and they also gave good advice regarding it; mostly from personal experience, as well. But no one can do anything to help the situation if the person in question does not listen to what their saying; it's great that they want people to understand and listen to them, but how is that supposed to happen if they won't understand and listen as well?
Actually IQ might inhibit the ability to relate; if someone gets the impression that they're "smarter" than other people, they may be less likely to widen their horizons with the opinions of others.

But yeah, I agree; patience is definitely reliant on a mutual communication. It's hard to be patient with someone who doesn't think you're worth their time, especially if they don't give you the chance to realize that you very possibly could be....

Also, I would like to be perfectly clear in saying that I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone; it really is frustrating, and I'm not going to condemn anyone in that situation. That doesn't help anything, after all. Besides, I'm too much of a hippy :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Jack Flak, open your mind a little and exercise a little of that Extroverted iNtuition.
I started a thread to discuss open-mindedness, you know, and this kind is the kind I avoid.

I can't win for losing on the Ne thing, can I...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
But whatever. I've dealt with it myself, having been through it all. The only thing I learnt from it is that until someone has already come face to face with their own issues, no amount of help matters. I guess you could say that I have near infinite patience with those that I think can gain from insight, and next to none for those that pretend to want it.

This is exactly what I had been trying to say. (Albeit I did take the OP entirely as very haughty. It seemed that way, so that's how I took it. Continuing posts afterwards made me flip back and forth as to whether I was right in my impressions or not.) I know it's hard to word your thoughts correctly, everyone has trouble with it.. and it's even more frustrating to try and try again, and still being misunderstood, it makes you think all your intelligence is for naught if you cannot even do such a simple task.

But it didn't seem that he felt he had this problem.. infact it seemed entirely that he was frustrated merely at others, not at the issues lying within himself. Like he was just fishing for the sympathy of others who also had not been looking inside of themselves for an answer, which kept contributing to my less-than-kind opinion of his views in the thread. The rape comparison didn't help. I don't think this is his case as of right now, but I do still feel impatience is the root of a problem within yourself. No one forces you to be impatient and frustrated.

I know :) I've been trying not to come off as critical, and I really don't mean to be; I am sincere in what I say (my use of emoticons is not meant as sarcasm, as some people use them).
I have trouble with communicating with people at times; I think anyone who has a high IQ has had some frustrating time with it. The issue lies in remedying that situation.

A lot of people who have commented do understand what it was like, and they also gave good advice regarding it; mostly from personal experience, as well. But no one can do anything to help the situation if the person in question does not listen to what their saying; it's great that they want people to understand and listen to them, but how is that supposed to happen if they won't understand and listen as well?
Actually IQ might inhibit the ability to relate; if someone gets the impression that they're "smarter" than other people, they may be less likely to widen their horizons with the opinions of others.

But yeah, I agree; patience is definitely reliant on a mutual communication. It's hard to be patient with someone who doesn't think you're worth their time, especially if they don't give you the chance to realize that you very possibly could be....

Also, I would like to be perfectly clear in saying that I'm not pointing fingers or blaming anyone; it really is frustrating, and I'm not going to condemn anyone in that situation. That doesn't help anything, after all. Besides, I'm too much of a hippy :D

+1. I'm not saying I was exactly nice about my objective criticism, ;) but not everyone's always been nice to me when I've been slammed with aspects I never saw coming my way. You take it all with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I felt that instead of working with my views or attempting to, I was simply casted aside with the rest of the ignorant fools. No bother though.

redacted

The average intelligence quotient is 100. This means that half of all people are above 100 and half below.

Also the intelligence quotient is distributed along a bell curve which means almost everybody is in the middle and almost no one is at either end.

This means that virtually everyone here is between 90 and 110.

Isn't the SD supposed to be 15?

Heh, a 150 IQ is 1/2000.

I think I tested 137 on an administered IQ test, which seems like it should be higher than most people (about 1/200?) but somehow I'm like below average of the people on this thread... (It might be because they use online tests, which are totally unreliable. I scored like 182 on one, and there's absolutely no chance my "real" IQ is anywhere near that.)

I see your point, I'd just use different numbers (90-110 seems way off).

Impatience, a problem within yourself that (much like ADD or ADHD, I know from personal experience) can be managed. There's no cure for impatience, but it can be managed. That comes from looking within yourself for ways to cope with your need to make things go faster. Children want things now and immediately, which is impatience. Most people gain a lot of it as they age and grasp experience and wisdom.. but some never grow out of their impatience naturally, in which case you need to look into yourself for relief. No one can cure your impatience, only pity you for having it.

What does "can be managed" mean? I can manage my impatience enough to survive in society, but it's a horrible curse to have. Even with meds and 5 years of therapy, it's still a giant problem.

Don't gloss over the problem.

But it didn't seem that he felt he had this problem.. infact it seemed entirely that he was frustrated merely at others, not at the issues lying within himself. Like he was just fishing for the sympathy of others who also had not been looking inside of themselves for an answer, which kept contributing to my less-than-kind opinion of his views in the thread. The rape comparison didn't help. I don't think this is his case as of right now, but I do still feel impatience is the root of a problem within yourself. No one forces you to be impatient and frustrated.

He's just frustrated. It IS a problem. He didn't say it was anyone's fault. Yes, in a moral sense, you are responsible for your own feelings of impatience and frustration. I don't think he disagrees. I think he was looking for other people with the same problem, partly for comfort and partly to see if there's a good correlation to MBTI types (which I don't really think there is past N vs S).

I think it's quite valid to make the connection between intelligence and impatience -- those in the top few percentage points genuinely have a hard time slowing themselves down and/or translating their ideas such that people know wtf is being said.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
How old are the people who suffer with "chronic intellectual impatience?" I had a case of it when I was younger, was a bit of an elitist, but I just wised up. Other-Than-Intellectuals have at least as much to offer the world. Caveat: Not everyone has a lot to offer. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
There are plenty retarded "intellectuals".

Last edited:

redacted

How old are the people who suffer with "chronic intellectual impatience?" I had a case of it when I was younger, was a bit of an elitist, but I just wised up. Other-Than-Intellectuals have at least as much to offer the world. Caveat: Not everyone has a lot to offer. ;)

Yeah...I still am 22.

I hope like hell that this shit gets better.