• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and patience.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Bunch of shit. Everyone thinks they're above average IQ.

Patience wasn't very specifically defined. For example, in traffic, I find myself very impatient. But when I'm waiting for something in the mail, I don't have a choice so I'm patient.

Everyone thinks their child is a genius - how annoying.

Mole

Permabanned
You are quite right that a person's emotions plays a vital role in their ability to apply their giftedness. The highest grades (or general attainment in life) are achieved mostly by hard work rather than by being naturally gifted. Being smart is not enough in itself.

Yes, you are quite right. Attainment is achieved by hard work and practice, practice, practice.

However those at either end of the Bell Curve are different.

It's not true that we are all gifted. In fact only a very tiny number are gifted at one end of the Bell curve; and an equal number of non compos mentis are at the other end.

And the tiny number of gifted are different emotionally in that they are over excitable (OE).

And OE and a very high IQ are signs of giftedness.

So there are two things to keep in mind with giftedness and that is the gifted are extremely rare and that they are emotionally different.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
My IQ has tested in the 145-150 range. I don't really have a problem with needing to 'dumb down' my speech for anyone, nor do I feel the need to talk down to individuals whom I deem are less intelligent than I. Guess it's a problem particular to you.

I have had that problem as well. I once had my best friend tell me that people didn't like to talk to me because the couldn't understand my vocabulary.

So I got into the habit of adjusting my speach depending on who I was talking to. I don't use big words or obscure words to impress people, but it is refreshing to be around people where I feel I don't have to adjust my words.

Communication is so challanging for me sometimes. My thoughts are too abstract and have to be "translated" into something more concrete. My thought are too intellectual/complex and difficult concepts have to be simplified, over explained or avoided. My vocab is too big and I have to "translate" into simpler words. I could use a word then define it, but it often comes out as partonizing, so I try to avoid it. And people think I am slow because it sometimes takes me a minute or two to form my answer.:doh: Okay, once in a while I do try to purposely impress someone with my intellect, but only if they are hinting that I am not very smart.

Ilah

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Amazing how patient people can be when they're talking about their gifts, innit?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bunch of shit. Everyone thinks they're above average IQ.

Patience wasn't very specifically defined. For example, in traffic, I find myself very impatient. But when I'm waiting for something in the mail, I don't have a choice so I'm patient.

:yes:

yeah... actually this thread and everyone bragging about being all so bright is making me ill :sick:

I also think that there's something to type about patience- I know one really smart person who is as patient as can be, and I know some pretty impatient dumb people.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
meh, IQ.

meh, people.

Though sometimes I wish I were less smert!

:)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My official IQ is around 140. With online IQ tests, I have scored anywhere from the 100 to 160 range, depending on the kind I take. I'm generally good with visual patterns and word twisters, but I'm terrible with mathematical story problems.

I consider myself highly impatient, as well. When I want things done, I want them done right now. Unfortunately, that's not the way the world works, and with whatever I want done, I usually forget about it the next minute because my attention shifted elsewhere. But it's this kind of dance that sort of makes up my life. I am also impatient with explaining things to others. And I try to resist doing it whenever possible.

I do not think this has much to do with IQ, though. I do not think IQ tests are good measures of intelligence, and they are certainly not good at measuring anything useful for life. That said, I don't know that IQ has much to do with patience or a lack thereof other than, of course, people who rush through the test to get it over with.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Mine is around 70, god seemed to have invested in other parts of this body :D

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
ITT: We post our IQs.
Hey mine is 141.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
a defining characteristic of intelligence is being able to solve problems...

:dry:

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
Yay, look what I've done! You all get to brag and sneer at me at the same time, while seemingly contributing to a discussion!

I admit, it was foolish of me to base the idea of intelligence entirely on IQ from the word "go". However, had I simply said, "Intelligence and patience," I would have had unreliable results. Everyone can say that they are intelligent, but not everyone can say they have a high IQ- not that it matters, ultimately. IQ /= Intelligence. IQ might equal probability of intelligence.

That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It's like they say, "It's not about what you say, it's about what you do"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a defining characteristic of intelligence is being able to solve problems...

:dry:

But an IQ test is just too specific. There are plenty more situations in life where problem solving is infinitely more complex than an IQ question -- I'd say mechanics utilize more problem solving skills than an IQ test taker, but since a mechanic's forte is not included on the IQ questionnaire, he's perceived as stupid.

Same thing with more abstract forms of problem solving. For example, I can easily understand the logic behind psychological and philosophical theories, but I have a very hard time understanding certain mathematical problems, which exist on IQ tests. So because I'm not mathematically inclined, I will be perceived as stupid, despite the fact that I can use the same kind of thinking in different contexts.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yay, look what I've done! You all get to brag and sneer at me at the same time, while seemingly contributing to a discussion!

I admit, it was foolish of me to base the idea of intelligence entirely on IQ from the word "go". However, had I simply said, "Intelligence and patience," I would have had unreliable results. Everyone can say that they are intelligent, but not everyone can say they have a high IQ- not that it matters, ultimately. IQ /= Intelligence. IQ might equal probability of intelligence.

That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.

If it makes you feel better, I did answer to the thread title.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5

Thanks for the clarification!!!

:)

Yes, I am smart, and yes, much to my dismay, I have difficulties finding like-minded peers.