User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by Terian View Post
    That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.
    But it gives you the data you're looking for, right? It's not really an honest discussion when you're asking people to just limit their replies to their answers to your two survey questions.

You sort of set yourself up as an easy target. And I've sure encountered lots of people who claimed they were "argumentative", "a little difficult", etc- but that they couldn't help it just because they were "Type A", "visionary", "idealistic", etc. If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, brays like a donkey... :

Quote Originally Posted by entropie
    It's like they say, "It's not about what you say, it's about what you do"

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

You were among the few that actually did respond in a helpful manner. That does make me feel better.
    What about those of us who don't feel comfortable disclosing our IQs?

Should we have not participated in this thread?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    What about those of us who don't feel comfortable disclosing our IQs?

Should we have not participated in this thread?
    Your response was excellent.
    The enemy's gate is down.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'm smart.

I get incredibly bored with some people.

I still have the patience to talk to everyone, and to stay polite. But it's hard.

I don't have patience in a classroom setting, though. My thoughts are always going so much faster than the lecture that I want to scream! I always end up coming up with interpretations and theories in the first 10 minutes of class, and then at the end of class, the teacher will say my theory and say some person who thought of it. Blah. I need discussion to learn.

I'm also always that asshole who raises his hand all the time, even in my 400 person lectures. I figure I might as well get my questions answered.

I have ADD, though. So...yeah. Not that it means much. Maybe I was just diagnosed because I think faster than most people? Or maybe that's what ADD is? Meh, who knows.

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    But it gives you the data you're looking for, right? It's not really an honest discussion when you're asking people to just limit their replies to their answers to your two survey questions.

You sort of set yourself up as an easy target. And I've sure encountered lots of people who claimed they were "argumentative", "a little difficult", etc- but that they couldn't help it just because they were "Type A", "visionary", "idealistic", etc. If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, brays like a donkey... :
    I'm not asking for simple input-output dialogue. I am asking, however, that the discussion be based on my two "survey questions". When I am the target of the response (because I'm perceived as foolish, incompetent, or as an asshole), I don't get nearly as much useful information as I would if we had stayed on-topic.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    I don't have patience in a classroom setting, though. My thoughts are always going so much faster than the lecture that I want to scream! I always end up coming up with interpretations and theories in the first 10 minutes of class, and then at the end of class, the teacher will say my theory and say some person who thought of it. Blah. I need discussion to learn.
    Don't even get me started on this!!!

I SOOOOOO FEEL YOU, MAN!!!!

:steam:

I'm also always that asshole who raises his hand all the time, even in my 400 person lectures. I figure I might as well get my questions answered.
    Lol, this is me too, and what's really awesome is when the prof can't even answer my question for he/she, the supposed "expert", doesn't even know the answer him or herself!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    I'm smart.

I get incredibly bored with some people.

I still have the patience to talk to everyone, and to stay polite. But it's hard.

I have ADD, though. So...yeah. Not that it means much. Maybe I was just diagnosed because I think faster than most people? Or maybe that's what ADD is? Meh, who knows.
    You've just described my story, practically word-for-word. The biggest difference being that I haven't been diagnosed with ADD, but I know I have it. I think that at the very least, thinking quickly has some part in causing ADD, if not entirely the determining factor.

MBTI
    istp

That is a perfect example of a helpful reply.
    i guess what i am saying is that i tend to be skeptical of the so called very intelligent people who cant figure out how to solve day-to-day problems. ive found that far rarer than intelligence is the provocation to actually think.

and to answer your question more directly--i think it's unimportant whether i am intelligent or unintelligent, i can be patient if i need to be because it seems obvious to me that patience is the best way to cope with situations that require it (forgive my oversimplification) although that is less often than you'd think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Don't even get me started on this!!!

I SOOOOOO FEEL YOU, MAN!!!!

:steam:
    Yeah. It sucks.

Lol, this is me too, and what's really awesome is when the prof can't even answer my question for he/she, the supposed "expert", doesn't even know the answer him or herself!

Luckily, I don't tend to have that problem here, as I take classes from some of the top names in my field in the world.

But the teachers also look bored, like they're annoyed they have to teach some stupid shit to mostly idiots. They just want to get to their research or grad student seminar. Some of them get pretty excited when I talk to them after class. It's honestly the only thing that keeps me going...

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i guess what i am saying is that i tend to be skeptical of the so called very intelligent people who cant figure out how to solve day-to-day problems. ive found that far rarer than intelligence is the provocation to actually think.

and to answer your question more directly--i think it's unimportant whether i am intelligent or unintelligent, i can be patient if i need to be because it seems obvious to me that patience is the best way to cope with situations that require it (forgive my oversimplification)
    Such as the most efficient way to brush your teeth, manage money, or discover a way to convert mp3s to m4b format for free. Impatience is an entirely different problem, independent of intelligence. For me, exercising patience puts me in a state of mild claustrophobia. It would be foolish to say, "Come on boy, fix it, if you're so smart!" At this point it's deeply rooted into my psyche and if I was unintelligent, it would arise in a different form, in different environments.