• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and patience.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.

But it gives you the data you're looking for, right? It's not really an honest discussion when you're asking people to just limit their replies to their answers to your two survey questions.

You sort of set yourself up as an easy target. And I've sure encountered lots of people who claimed they were "argumentative", "a little difficult", etc- but that they couldn't help it just because they were "Type A", "visionary", "idealistic", etc. If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, brays like a donkey... :

entropie said:
It's like they say, "It's not about what you say, it's about what you do"

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You were among the few that actually did respond in a helpful manner. That does make me feel better.
What about those of us who don't feel comfortable disclosing our IQs?

Should we have not participated in this thread?

redacted

I'm smart.

I get incredibly bored with some people.

I still have the patience to talk to everyone, and to stay polite. But it's hard.

I don't have patience in a classroom setting, though. My thoughts are always going so much faster than the lecture that I want to scream! I always end up coming up with interpretations and theories in the first 10 minutes of class, and then at the end of class, the teacher will say my theory and say some person who thought of it. Blah. I need discussion to learn.

I'm also always that asshole who raises his hand all the time, even in my 400 person lectures. I figure I might as well get my questions answered.

I have ADD, though. So...yeah. Not that it means much. Maybe I was just diagnosed because I think faster than most people? Or maybe that's what ADD is? Meh, who knows.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
But it gives you the data you're looking for, right? It's not really an honest discussion when you're asking people to just limit their replies to their answers to your two survey questions.

You sort of set yourself up as an easy target. And I've sure encountered lots of people who claimed they were "argumentative", "a little difficult", etc- but that they couldn't help it just because they were "Type A", "visionary", "idealistic", etc. If it looks like a donkey, smells like a donkey, brays like a donkey... :
I'm not asking for simple input-output dialogue. I am asking, however, that the discussion be based on my two "survey questions". When I am the target of the response (because I'm perceived as foolish, incompetent, or as an asshole), I don't get nearly as much useful information as I would if we had stayed on-topic.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't have patience in a classroom setting, though. My thoughts are always going so much faster than the lecture that I want to scream! I always end up coming up with interpretations and theories in the first 10 minutes of class, and then at the end of class, the teacher will say my theory and say some person who thought of it. Blah. I need discussion to learn.
Don't even get me started on this!!!

I SOOOOOO FEEL YOU, MAN!!!!

:steam:

I'm also always that asshole who raises his hand all the time, even in my 400 person lectures. I figure I might as well get my questions answered.
Lol, this is me too, and what's really awesome is when the prof can't even answer my question for he/she, the supposed "expert", doesn't even know the answer him or herself!

:)

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
I'm smart.

I get incredibly bored with some people.

I still have the patience to talk to everyone, and to stay polite. But it's hard.

I have ADD, though. So...yeah. Not that it means much. Maybe I was just diagnosed because I think faster than most people? Or maybe that's what ADD is? Meh, who knows.
You've just described my story, practically word-for-word. The biggest difference being that I haven't been diagnosed with ADD, but I know I have it. I think that at the very least, thinking quickly has some part in causing ADD, if not entirely the determining factor.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
That is a perfect example of a helpful reply.

i guess what i am saying is that i tend to be skeptical of the so called very intelligent people who cant figure out how to solve day-to-day problems. ive found that far rarer than intelligence is the provocation to actually think.

and to answer your question more directly--i think it's unimportant whether i am intelligent or unintelligent, i can be patient if i need to be because it seems obvious to me that patience is the best way to cope with situations that require it (forgive my oversimplification) although that is less often than you'd think.

redacted

Don't even get me started on this!!!

I SOOOOOO FEEL YOU, MAN!!!!

:steam:

Yeah. It sucks.

Lol, this is me too, and what's really awesome is when the prof can't even answer my question for he/she, the supposed "expert", doesn't even know the answer him or herself!

:)

Luckily, I don't tend to have that problem here, as I take classes from some of the top names in my field in the world. :)

But the teachers also look bored, like they're annoyed they have to teach some stupid shit to mostly idiots. They just want to get to their research or grad student seminar. Some of them get pretty excited when I talk to them after class. It's honestly the only thing that keeps me going...

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
i guess what i am saying is that i tend to be skeptical of the so called very intelligent people who cant figure out how to solve day-to-day problems. ive found that far rarer than intelligence is the provocation to actually think.

and to answer your question more directly--i think it's unimportant whether i am intelligent or unintelligent, i can be patient if i need to be because it seems obvious to me that patience is the best way to cope with situations that require it (forgive my oversimplification)
Such as the most efficient way to brush your teeth, manage money, or discover a way to convert mp3s to m4b format for free. Impatience is an entirely different problem, independent of intelligence. For me, exercising patience puts me in a state of mild claustrophobia. It would be foolish to say, "Come on boy, fix it, if you're so smart!" At this point it's deeply rooted into my psyche and if I was unintelligent, it would arise in a different form, in different environments.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i consider learning different ways to interpret your perceptions and controlling your psyche a daily challenge :alttongue:

i think what you want is these people to stimulate you, which isnt necessarily their responsibility. you should probably find your own entertainment in what they say and do.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's a cool question:
Are determination and impatience compatible? That is, will you find both traits in the same person?

How's that for cooperation Terian?

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
There is a difference in knowledge and intelligence.

Intelligence denotes the ability to learn and contemplate situations to come up with your own ideas.

Whilst knowledge is merely the ability to remember information.

Someone can appear to be inteligent, when they are merely reciting information.

As is common, I have found in this thread.

Also dissonance, I share you situation with regard to classroom settings. Just the other day me and my friend discussed the topic during the first 15 mins of the lecture, and bounced ideas off each other. And at the end of the class the prof finally made it too that after prompting from me that he had missed a basic principle.

School is merely a piece of paper to let employers know how much you know. I find it to be a waste o time, but it is a neccessary waste of time.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
That's sort of like saying I have so much potential that It would be detrimental to realize it. I guess it creates sort of a continual loop of striving for something unreachable, so in that sense it could be a factor in high intelligence. Rage to learn, insatiable curiosity...etc

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi
i consider learning different ways to interpret your perceptions and controlling your psyche a daily challenge :alttongue:

i think what you want is these people to stimulate you, which isnt necessarily their responsibility. you should probably find your own entertainment in what they say and do.
It may be a challenge, but it is solved independently of intelligence.

Remember that you're talking to an ENTP here.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
The school thing also resonates with me and I think it was at the root of Terians question in the OP. In conversation it is definitely refreshing and liberating when you are talking to someone who is obviously very smart, for me personally it seems like ideas and connections just seem to build up without pause or need for constant clarification and definition.

The knowledge v Intelligence is also a key distinction. That is one thing I absolutely hate and is actually one of my determining factors in assesing someones "intelligence", basically more of a fluid v crystalized interpretation of the issue. It is probably one of the most noticeable things in a conversation, basically how particular and tailored your comments and explanations have to be to that individual for them to understand.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
So, I'm a smart person (I've tested everywhere from 130-141),

At least you perform well on a standardized test developed seemingly for people living in a western society and assuming those values...

...and very impatient to boot.

I have found over the course of years that experiencing a personal cost at the indulgence of my own impatience will tend to provide me with more patience. Opportunities to practice this have always seemed to be in abundant supply for myself, and you too it seems. Good Luck.

I find myself speaking down to most people, and when I don't dumb down my speech, they often misunderstand me.

When I experience difficulty communicating with another person I'll try additional methods adding gesticulation, drawing or best of all I have found, listening to them to discover what they need and how sharing information may serve both of us.

This leads to me being rather bigoted against people of average intelligence or below (they become boring too quickly and I just want to move on).

Although I have a rather modest IQ score for this forum, I am almost certain that you are describing intolerance? Tolerance of others is something I've grown to accept as not only being a decent human, but additionally, beneficial! Often people I find seemingly a few coals short of a good BBQ, are savants in some esoteric area like computer repair, facilities management, politics, dishwashing etc., and they prove to be useful and productive members of society. Although I can claim no competence in any of these areas, they seem able to tolerate me despite this.

So, I was wondering, how many of you have this same problem? What's your IQ?

Yes being human I share these problems. But having a somewhat lower IQ score perhaps I am able to exert more patience...perhaps this is an evolutionary tool developed over the eons to help the less gifted survive? Thanks for taking the time to read this reply.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah. It sucks.

Luckily, I don't tend to have that problem here, as I take classes from some of the top names in my field in the world. :)

But the teachers also look bored, like they're annoyed they have to teach some stupid shit to mostly idiots. They just want to get to their research or grad student seminar. Some of them get pretty excited when I talk to them after class. It's honestly the only thing that keeps me going...

what are you studying? I too sense that most of the profs are pissed they have teach at all....

...sometimes i get a good question, "hmm ill go ask him at office hours n get brownie points :devil:", but then i just find the answer myself and never bother going. If the class is really boring and not in my major (some random general ed requirenment class) then ill be "that guy" who has questions. If its a class I need to do well in and its not necessarily easy, then I just have to focus on the material and not be "that guy" who has a question/argument for everything

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everyone thinks their child is a genius - how annoying.

yeah....my dad was the random guy who thought i have a 174 iq
argh
damn ENTPs
and he brags to his friends about his " genius son "
argh

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh yes, i never addressed the patience issue.
i have a lot of patience.....even when i am impatient
its hardest with stupid people - high I.Q.s and all