• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and patience.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Is an unpretentious intelligent person an intellectual?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What does "can be managed" mean? I can manage my impatience enough to survive in society, but it's a horrible curse to have. Even with meds and 5 years of therapy, it's still a giant problem.

Don't gloss over the problem.

He's just frustrated. It IS a problem. He didn't say it was anyone's fault. Yes, in a moral sense, you are responsible for your own feelings of impatience and frustration. I don't think he disagrees. I think he was looking for other people with the same problem, partly for comfort and partly to see if there's a good correlation to MBTI types (which I don't really think there is past N vs S).

I think it's quite valid to make the connection between intelligence and impatience -- those in the top few percentage points genuinely have a hard time slowing themselves down and/or translating their ideas such that people know wtf is being said.

Can be managed is simply that. My ADD, I struggled with when younger, but I hardly notice it effecting me (unless in certain situations which I've acknowledged as problem areas in my life) because of my personal steps taken to manage it. Not to compare ADD to impatience.. but the principle of managing an uncurable problem is there. The extreme amount of impatience he was describing has me to believe that he's taken little measures in lowering the stress in his life from his impatience, finding it easier to just be frustrated with others in the moment instead of the lengthy, annoying process of working within one's self.

Sympathies, comfort, and a correlation in MBTI types are obviously there. But to open a thread and describe things is to open it to all views and, naturally, there are people who are going to try and put what they think into it, whether that connect to what he wants, or otherwise.. even if it isn't exactly what he wanted. You always get more than you originally ask for when it comes to opening a thread. To say that he *just* wanted this or that would be to imply he didn't want all of everyone's views.. Maybe he didn't. But if he didn't, he might have just deleted the threads irrelevent to his cause and solved it entirely.

I never tried to gloss over the problem, or pretend it doesn't exist as one. I get frustrated just the same as others, and I know I have done, before, what he's complaining about. Impatience, with so many things things all the time in everyday life to where he's getting physically tired and irritated over prolonged conversations.. that's something that caught my attention. It seems like his mind is throwing a mental temper tantrum. It's not what he immediately wants, so he gets upset and such. Hence the childish behavior.

Much like kids, if you let your mind run wild it will. You have to discipline it. If you have more mind to control, you have more responsibility to do so even if you don't want it, which is where I DO think intelligence and impatience correlate.. I hope I'm making my point on the matter.

I'm also rather fond of run-on sentences.

There are plenty retarded of "intellectuals".

+1.

Yeah...I still am 22.

I hope like hell that this shit gets better.

I had hoped to ask your age, but I found it soon after your previous post. I sort of get the thought in my head of this whole thread relating to an adult cat clinging onto it's childish ways by continuing to knead with their paws well into adulthood.. something they should have grown out of, but seeing as how they're domesticated, never made the jump from cared-for-kitten to prowling-predator. Maybe I'm a bit crazy ;)

Is an unpretentious intelligent person an intellectual?

So... Maybe that's why Einstein built that bomb..

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
He'll learn in time. It might take a while, and for some people it takes them their whole life, but eventually people realize that no one's going to fix their problems for them; the world's not going to change the way it works to cater to anyone, so either they finally change their points-of-views, or they remain miserable.
When I think of it that way, it's kind of is easier to just shrug and let it go; I know I have a clarity of mind and self to at least deal with almost anyone in any situation, so if someone doesn't take the advice given, then that's their choice.
A lot of times, those choices aren't so much intellectual in nature; they're stubbornness, self-righteousness, and insecurity. It takes a certain type of advice, learning, and conditioning to overcome these, just like kyuuei said; if they're not in the right mind set, there's really no point in getting upset over it because they're not going to change, until they're themselves emotionally ready.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
J. Robert Oppenheimer was head of the Manhattan project which built the devices. Einstein proposed the idea. ;)

:eek:uch: Maybe I are iz dumb then afterall.. boo. Scratch all my previous posts then.

I was actually making a movie reference. ;)

redacted

I had hoped to ask your age, but I found it soon after your previous post. I sort of get the thought in my head of this whole thread relating to an adult cat clinging onto it's childish ways by continuing to knead with their paws well into adulthood.. something they should have grown out of, but seeing as how they're domesticated, never made the jump from cared-for-kitten to prowling-predator. Maybe I'm a bit crazy ;)

Meh. Everyone has some maladaptive trait (especially at 22) that's leftover from childhood. That doesn't mean everyone is childish. This is a real issue that some people still deal with, and just saying "try harder" or "discipline yourself" isn't necessarily helpful to hear. It's not like he hasn't thought of that before.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I would think it doesn't hurt to know it's not the rest of the world which is going to change. And if one's attitude grates on people, and one doesn't like the reception one gets, one may try to adapt to one's surroundings.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, these two things seem to be unrelated. In the past I've scored from 145-160 in IQ tests. I don't consider myself to be atypically intelligent or whatever, and I certainly don't consciously "dumb myself down" to communicate with other people, because it is not in my nature to speak using eloquent words and complex language in situations where it is unnecessary. I don't personally consider IQ tests to be a useful indicator of anything, except perhaps adaptability. I am always patient with people who have good intentions.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
So, I'm a smart person (I've tested everywhere from 130-141), and very impatient to boot. I find myself speaking down to most people, and when I don't dumb down my speech, they often misunderstand me. This leads to me being rather bigoted against people of average intelligence or below (they become boring too quickly and I just want to move on).

So, I was wondering, how many of you have this same problem? What's your IQ?
IQ is not about intelligence.
Nor it is about patience.

It is about old money.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
<has an outburst> Ah, who gives a fart, anyway???

Eh, sorry, had to say it.

Why are people so flipping obsessed with being bright or not??? Hell, I prefer to be underestimated. Then people don't demand so goddamn much, and when you actually *do* say something intelligent, people just stare and think, "Holy shit! That came from *her*??? Goddamn, she *can* be smart when she wants to be!!!!"

Versus claiming extreme intelligence, in which case everyone tries to tear you down because they are jealous, or have complexes, (or you have the complexes because you can't stand the thought of being normal), in which case people only say, "Pfft, she thinks she's so smart - sometimes she can be a total dumbass." "Yeah, no shit, she acts like a retard half the time!!!"

So, hmmmmmmm, let me think for a second - which one would I rather have happen??? That's right folks, the first. :cool:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Meh. Everyone has some maladaptive trait (especially at 22) that's leftover from childhood. That doesn't mean everyone is childish. This is a real issue that some people still deal with, and just saying "try harder" or "discipline yourself" isn't necessarily helpful to hear. It's not like he hasn't thought of that before.

Mayhap he hasn't. Maybe everyone just sympathized him, agreed with him, or just got pissed instead of trying to give possibilities. I don't *know* him, who he is, or what he's been through. It seemed the sentiments were plenty, as were the pissed off people.. so I thought I'd cover a different base.

I know "Try harder" doesn't work in and of itself. But sometimes, to hear why you need to try harder and why you might need to discipline yourself, does help.

I would think it doesn't hurt to know it's not the rest of the world which is going to change. And if one's attitude grates on people, and one doesn't like the reception one gets, one may try to adapt to one's surroundings.

Right. It seems he's incapable of adapting to the world around him.. How are we to know if he's aware of this or not? Since it seemed he wasn't the way he posted.

For me, these two things seem to be unrelated. In the past I've scored from 145-160 in IQ tests. I don't consider myself to be atypically intelligent or whatever, and I certainly don't consciously "dumb myself down" to communicate with other people, because it is not in my nature to speak using eloquent words and complex language in situations where it is unnecessary. I don't personally consider IQ tests to be a useful indicator of anything, except perhaps adaptability. I am always patient with people who have good intentions.

Well stated. I feel the same way.. Even if someone's meaning is lost in their attempts, I can usually pick it up where they left off and complete the thought, and together make it something tangible and worth while. I don't think he's ever had the pleasure of doing this, the negative and bitter way he feels about it all.

IQ is not about intelligence.
Nor it is about patience.

It is about old money.

:heart:

<has an outburst> Ah, who gives a fart, anyway???

Eh, sorry, had to say it.

Why are people so flipping obsessed with being bright or not??? Hell, I prefer to be underestimated. Then people don't demand so goddamn much, and when you actually *do* say something intelligent, people just stare and think, "Holy shit! That came from *her*??? Goddamn, she *can* be smart when she wants to be!!!!"

Versus claiming extreme intelligence, in which case everyone tries to tear you down because they are jealous, or have complexes, (or you have the complexes because you can't stand the thought of being normal), in which case people only say, "Pfft, she thinks she's so smart - sometimes she can be a total dumbass." "Yeah, no shit, she acts like a retard half the time!!!"

So, hmmmmmmm, let me think for a second - which one would I rather have happen??? That's right folks, the first. :cool:

Feel better now sweets? :hug: Right. I'm not anyone of above average intelligence. I'm pretty normal in school, work, and just about anything else in life.. I reserve my need to achieve more for those things that exceed my everyday lifestyle.