User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Terian View Post
    Yay, look what I've done! You all get to brag and sneer at me at the same time, while seemingly contributing to a discussion!

I admit, it was foolish of me to base the idea of intelligence entirely on IQ from the word "go". However, had I simply said, "Intelligence and patience," I would have had unreliable results. Everyone can say that they are intelligent, but not everyone can say they have a high IQ- not that it matters, ultimately. IQ /= Intelligence. IQ might equal probability of intelligence.

That said, this thread is not a place for bragging. It's an honest discussion regarding the correlation between intelligence and interpersonal patience. Really, all that is required in a reply, in its most basic form, is "Yes, I'm smart. No, I don't have that problem." Granted, a more detailed response would be preferable, but not if it's given to the detriment of anyone else, or this thread. Come on people, saying, "I'm so much smarter than you and I don't have this problem. You're just a jerk," is not helpful. It's at once boastful and belittling.
    On impatience:
    I think this has as much to do with personality type as anything else. I'm INFJ and my IQ is higher than yours. I rarely grow impatient with discussing difficult topics with others, indeed, I enjoy helping others grasp hard concepts (such as the law) so they feel more empowered and in control of what is going on in their situation.

I do not have patience for narrow-mindedness, however. I bow out of such discussions because I do not believe it is productive... people don't often change their opinions based on a discussion. (They usually don't understand enough of the topic to be moved by new or different information.)

On the validity/purpose of IQ scores:
    I do not believe that high-IQ is necessarily an indication of potential success, either. IQ is a gift or talent, just as artistic ability, musical talent, or ability to understand others is.

I don't like studying for fun. School has always been a struggle for me, in part because I was anxious and avoidant. The law itself is almost lost on me; it takes great effort for me to understand legal concepts. I consider myself a law idiot. Others grasp these things as naturally as they breathe. It makes sense to them, they deduce and conceptualize the principles as easily as I negotiate and work with people.

Thus, IQ and behavior is, to me, inextricably linked to personality. I'm a typical INFJ with a high-IQ. My husband is a typical INTP (impatient!) with a high-IQ. (He doesn't understand why law is so difficult to me; I don't understand why it's so hard for him to use euphemisms and be nice!)
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Moved from Bonfire.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Intelligence is often described as quickness; a rapid extrapolation of base ideas into cohesive intellectual towers of knowledge.

With this quickness, its likely one will eventually uncover anxiety - an urgency to move these so-called towers into an exact sequence, if to build even more magnificent structures. More towers mean more knowledge. Higher intelligence is the expression of this arrangement.

Yet, this impatience can create oversight. Oversight can fold into stress. Stress into mistakes. The desire to move can often lead an impatient mind to stumble...

Wisdom helps to correct this. It disavows us from the desire to uplift ourselves into our intellectual monuments. It protects us from ourselves, as existence aloft is often a very lonely place. Makes some reconsider their intellect.

Experience is this realization.

Helping others find their intellectual identities, the manifestation.

This is beautiful, almost poetic. Very philosophical.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The OP itself, when read just like it is, makes me want to say that I'm sure there are plenty of people that have to translate what they say, or end up talking to people who are uninterested in grasping a deeper sense of the english language, cannot follow some concepts being talked about, or don't bother to spend the time thinking on whatever subject matter was at hand thus creating impatience with those who do these things because you're the one having to adjust.

.. But what I feel when I read this is someone whining and complaining that the world isn't the way they want it to be. So you have to translate your thoughts sometimes.. I don't see why your patience would be so outstandingly thin that you get upset about it. The truth of the matter is not everyone is going to think, or talk the same way you do.. though I'm not sure this has anything to do with intelligence, playing into the game and saying it might I think being the more intelligent one of the conversation gives you the responsibility to not only understand what's being said, but so in return have everyone understand you.

A Harvard graduate and a GED 18 year old both ask how the weather is the same way. Just my thoughts on this, but you sound kind of childish complaining about such a simple task. You don't like it? Don't talk to those people, and just associate with people you deem "on your level" of intellect. Either you'll find no one else and be alone and free of the 'burden' of socializing, or you'll have a select group of friends with equal haughty intellectual thoughts with no one of 'lesser' intelligence allowed.. OR.. you can just accept things the way they are and continue to talk with whomever you please.. instead of thinking those you socialize with are a burden on you because you have to 'dumb yourself down' just to have a simple chat.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The OP itself, when read just like it is, makes me want to say that I'm sure there are plenty of people that have to translate what they say, or end up talking to people who are uninterested in grasping a deeper sense of the english language, cannot follow some concepts being talked about, or don't bother to spend the time thinking on whatever subject matter was at hand thus creating impatience with those who do these things because you're the one having to adjust.

.. But what I feel when I read this is someone whining and complaining that the world isn't the way they want it to be. So you have to translate your thoughts sometimes.. I don't see why your patience would be so outstandingly thin that you get upset about it. The truth of the matter is not everyone is going to think, or talk the same way you do.. though I'm not sure this has anything to do with intelligence, playing into the game and saying it might I think being the more intelligent one of the conversation gives you the responsibility to not only understand what's being said, but so in return have everyone understand you.

A Harvard graduate and a GED 18 year old both ask how the weather is the same way. Just my thoughts on this, but you sound kind of childish complaining about such a simple task. You don't like it? Don't talk to those people, and just associate with people you deem "on your level" of intellect. Either you'll find no one else and be alone and free of the 'burden' of socializing, or you'll have a select group of friends with equal haughty intellectual thoughts with no one of 'lesser' intelligence allowed.. OR.. you can just accept things the way they are and continue to talk with whomever you please.. instead of thinking those you socialize with are a burden on you because you have to 'dumb yourself down' just to have a simple chat.
    EXACTLY. Really good point. It is all a case of your thinking: Do you have a positive tape or a negative tape running in your head? A positive person realizes everyone has something to offer. A negative person judges others. You can choose.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTx

138, extremely impatient with people, not really arrogant but I tend to hurry others too much and finish their sentences.

MBTI
    INTP

To continue that point I find it terrible when people take the negative route and just look for ways to assert their brilliance. That is NOT constructive, when you are intelligent and positively interested in sharing some of your thought that is absolutely phenomenal and I will gladly be a sponge and try and get as much knowledge and insight as possible.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    NeTi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

You see, you're becoming part of the problem. My problem is not that I have to adjust what I say to make sense to people. My problem is that most people's minds are too small to fully grasp what I'm saying (yourself included, as it seems). You're giving advice to an irrational person. You're giving advice to a person who is not me. For you to give advice to me, you'd have to understand me.

I think circles around people. I'm not a genius, but I am quick and bright. I figure people out so quickly that over the course of a single conversation, I often start feeling drained of energy. I can anticipate their actions five steps in advance, and nothing remains a mystery to me, nothing remains for me to explore. Maybe another ENTP could elaborate.

And to clarify: I am not inherently a negative person. While I don't necessarily think that everyone has something to offer, I give them the benefit of the doubt. It's only after I've exhausted their potential offerings that I become bored. I become frustrated when I try offering them something in return and they don't understand. I'm not out to assert my intellectual dominance on anyone. I was initially questioning whether there were others who experience the same phenomena as me, and it seems that it's predominantly a type trait.
    The enemy's gate is down.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yeah I agree with kyuuei, and I'm smart as fuck.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Characteristics of Gifted Adults

- has an unusual sense of humour

we are so in with the gifted traits @ Mein Überführer
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]