User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    4w8 sx

Default Would you be able to spot a psychopath?

Everyone knows the trope of the evil mad monster psychopath- Hannibal Lector, Michael Myers...

But in reality, psychopaths who commit physically violent actions are in the minority.

It is suspected that around 1-4% of people is without a conscience. Truly without empathy. Truly... with something just ‘missing’.

The scariest thing is that these people can be very successful and leave a lot of harm in their wake... because they are good at staying hidden. They are often intelligent, and as they grow, they can learn how to use this intelligence to mimic behaviors that allow them to remain unseen/best get their way.

Identifying a Psychopath: 20 Subtle and Hidden Signs | Psychopaths and Love

So... do you think you would be able to spot a psychopath? Even when... that is the last thing hey want you to be able to do? How would you do this?

Is the idea that there are truly some people out there who are EVIL... who genuinely... do not care... does that idea bother you?

Have you ever had an experience with a psychopath? Do you believe you have ever met one- an obvious one or not- in your life... how could you tell? What happened?

Do you believe psychopaths are evil? Do you believe evil exists?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Everyone knows the trope of the evil mad monster psychopath- Hannibal Lector, Michael Myers...

But in reality, psychopaths who commit physically violent actions are in the minority.

It is suspected that around 1-4% of people is without a conscience. Truly without empathy. Truly... with something just ‘missing’.

The scariest thing is that these people can be very successful and leave a lot of harm in their wake... because they are good at staying hidden. They are often intelligent, and as they grow, they can learn how to use this intelligence to mimic behaviors that allow them to remain unseen/best get their way.

Identifying a Psychopath: 20 Subtle and Hidden Signs | Psychopaths and Love

So... do you think you would be able to spot a psychopath? Even when... that is the last thing hey want you to be able to do? How would you do this?

Is the idea that there are truly some people out there who are EVIL... who genuinely... do not care... does that idea bother you?

Have you ever had an experience with a psychopath? Do you believe you have ever met one- an obvious one or not- in your life... how could you tell? What happened?

I think that estimate is way out of proportions. Also, it is suspected by whom exactly? What are they basing it on?

I think there are a lot of people incapable of acting on empathy or fall into the spectrum on behalf of other issues that are probably labled in that 1-4%. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced psychopaths are truely without empathy, but rather out of touch with empathy due to failing education, health and psychological care.

I believe a person is responsible for his or her deeds, but the idea of condemning people who haven't done anything wrong paints a world I don't want to be a part of.

I don't think any psychopath is evil due to their condition. That would imply they were evil as babies as well. That thought cringes me so hard. And I even wonder to what extend even a serial killer psychopath is truely evil. I mean, what is evil then?

Is being 'broken' evil? Isn't it rather sad instead. Is it not the environment surrounding them that was unable to understand and support that person before doing those acts and thus failing in preventing them the true evil?

Well, if you bring 'evil' in any discussion it automatically becomes extremely complicated.

So... do you think you would be able to spot a psychopath?
    I'd be very careful with my judgement, I might suspect, but probably never claim.

Even when... that is the last thing hey want you to be able to do? How would you do this?
    \
    If they are truely psychopaths, they wouldn't care about such semantics. Someone that cares about being ousted a psychopath clearly isn't one.

I do not believe not caring automatically means evil. It entirely depends on what caused them to not care. Maybe they were abused as children, closed off at an early age. Maybe they don't care, because they simply don't know how to care. Is it them that is evil, or the circumstances that made them evil?

I believe evil exists, but I can't think of psychopaths as evil. Rather, I find people who choose to do the wrong things while in full control of their faculties and with the intellect to support it well to be evil. A psychopath isn't evil, but sick.

I am gonna be unfair to you and way out of proportions here, so don't freak out too quick here. But I have a feeling that you have reached a pretty harsh and severe judgement on an illness and branded it as evil yourself. I'd ask you to question the goodness inside of yourself first before condemning others for being evil.
    But like I said, I am being unfair. Your view is understandable, you wish to minimize victims and your intentions are pure. How well do you understand the bigger picture though. Don't you think it would be good to try and help these people instead of shunning them and saying they are intrinsically evil and beyond redemption.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes magpie, Xann, Cat Brainz liked this post

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The eyes. Look at any mug shot of serial killers, violent gang members etc. Dead cold eyes. You can’t hide that void that lurks in their eyes.

It bothers me and these people should be put down like rabid dogs. You can’t reform a lack of a conscience. Evil definitely exists and these people are examples.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams
    Likes Crystal Winter Dream liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    The eyes. Look at any mug shot of serial killers, violent gang members etc. Dead cold eyes. You can’t hide that void that lurks in their eyes.

It bothers me and these people should be put down like rabid dogs. You can’t reform a lack of a conscience. Evil definitely exists and these people are examples.

This is just a thought. And again being a bit unfair. But I just want to bring some perspective here.

What if someone on the psychopathic spectrum reads your post. A person that hasn't hurt a soul in his life, however this person clearly has issues relating to people and reaching morals and values through normal ways.
    Your post might be the one thing that sets him over the edge. Taking your post for the truth, beginning to realize that he has no place in this world whatsoever and that no one will ever consider him to be a valuable human being and member of society. Believing everyone in the world is against him and finally letting go of whatever restraint he still had.

Will you take responsibility if your post is what causes him to act heinously?
    Likes magpie, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    4w8 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I think that estimate is way out of proportions. Also, it is suspected by whom exactly? What are they basing it on?

I think there are a lot of people incapable of acting on empathy or fall into the spectrum on behalf of other issues that are probably labled in that 1-4%. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced psychopaths are truely without empathy, but rather out of touch with empathy due to failing education, health and psychological care.

I believe a person is responsible for his or her deeds, but the idea of condemning people who haven't done anything wrong paints a world I don't want to be a part of.

I don't think any psychopath is evil due to their condition. That would imply they were evil as babies as well. That thought cringes me so hard. And I even wonder to what extend even a serial killer psychopath is truely evil. I mean, what is evil then?

Is being 'broken' evil? Isn't it rather sad instead. Is it not the environment surrounding them that was unable to understand and support that person before doing those acts and thus failing in preventing them the true evil?

Well, if you bring 'evil' in any discussion it automatically becomes extremely complicated.

So... do you think you would be able to spot a psychopath?
    I'd be very careful with my judgement, I might suspect, but probably never claim.

Even when... that is the last thing hey want you to be able to do? How would you do this?
    \
    If they are truely psychopaths, they wouldn't care about such semantics. Someone that cares about being ousted a psychopath clearly isn't one.

I do not believe not caring automatically means evil. It entirely depends on what caused them to not care. Maybe they were abused as children, closed off at an early age. Maybe they don't care, because they simply don't know how to care. Is it them that is evil, or the circumstances that made them evil?

I believe evil exists, but I can't think of psychopaths as evil. Rather, I find people who choose to do the wrong things while in full control of their faculties and with the intellect to support it well to be evil. A psychopath isn't evil, but sick.

I am gonna be unfair to you and way out of proportions here, so don't freak out too quick here. But I have a feeling that you have reached a pretty harsh and severe judgement on an illness and branded it as evil yourself. I'd ask you to question the goodness inside of yourself first before condemning others for being evil.
    But like I said, I am being unfair. Your view is understandable, you wish to minimize victims and your intentions are pure. How well do you understand the bigger picture though. Don't you think it would be good to try and help these people instead of shunning them and saying they are intrinsically evil and beyond redemption.
    I think 99% of people- no matter how hard they are hurting- have an end point that doesnt reach true manipulative cruelty.

I dont like the idea that there is a subset of people where- they truly are incapable of feeling any, empathy, remorse, or... shared humanity with another person.

I definitely believe that antisocial personality disorder is a thing. And I also believe its a sickness.

But i ALSO believe when I read that when this sickness is attempted to be treated- it generally fails. Because for the most part... you just cannot grow a conscience.

I do not necessarily condemn people who were born like this and are genuinely functional in real life- who DONT go out of their way to deliberately hurt others. I believe there is potentially a subset in the ‘antisocial personaliry disorder’ population who do try to lead relatively functional and harmless lives.

But I also beliebe that- those who can skin a puppy or rape multiple women. Those who have the capacity to do things like that- I believe they are different. They are not in my 99% of people- some who might be damaged. They are in their own category. I believe generally- there are people who CAN and people who CANT do thingd like that. That a conscience in generally separates the two groups.

Antisocial Personality Disorder Statistics

I think it would be excellent if these people could be helped. But, like many personality disorders- it generally is very very hard to get someone to admit they have a problem. Because, from what Ive read, these people dont generally see their condition as an issue.

There are many reasons they would hide in plain sight. If someone wanted to con you out of money for a long time- they wouldnt out-right tell you. They knoe that that would not work. If someone wanted to continuously trick you- to get something they wanted- money, control, power- they arent going to sound the alarms. They are going to make you think there ARE no alarms. All the while twisting their interactions with you in a way that makes YOU question your own perceptions about needing to sound them.

There are people out there who are cruel. Who manipulate. They may be sick. Antisocial personality disorder IS a disorder. But its also been guessed that the perosn with this disorder causes 5-20 times as much pain in their lifetime as someone without.

And this isnt the case with a different mental illness whete someone doesnt know what they are doing. In a large body, these people know what they are doinng at all times.

14 Odd Antisocial Personality Disorder Statistics | HRFnd
    Johari

Nohari
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

This is just a thought. And again being a bit unfair. But I just want to bring some perspective here.

What if someone on the psychopathic spectrum reads your post. A person that hasn't hurt a soul in his life, however this person clearly has issues relating to people and reaching morals and values through normal ways.
    Your post might be the one thing that sets him over the edge. Taking your post for the truth, beginning to realize that he has no place in this world whatsoever and that no one will ever consider him to be a valuable human being and member of society. Believing everyone in the world is against him and finally letting go of whatever restraint he still had.

Will you take responsibility if your post is what causes him to act heinously?
    No. I said serial killers and gangster murderers not some random guy somewhere. And even if someone flew off the handle because of some strangers opinion I’d have to say almost anything would have set them off. It’s like that argument that D&D is evil and makes people lose their sense of reality. D&D is a game not a destroyer of minds. Those people had a tentative grasp on reality to begin with.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    No. I said serial killers and gangster murderers not some random guy somewhere. And even if someone flew off the handle because of some strangers opinion I’d have to say almost anything would have set them off. It’s like that argument that D&D is evil and makes people lose their sense of reality. D&D is a game not a destroyer of minds. Those people had a tentative grasp on reality to begin with.
    You based your post on "a look in a person's eyes" with scary conviction and said nothing about the crimes they have committed. I'm sure you can understand my confusion. :P
    Likes magpie, Xann, meowington liked this post

This reminds me of comments on articles about crimes. I often see the majority of the comments calling for the death and/or torture of the criminals. Hoping they get raped, saying they're less than human, etc. The comments are full of moral posturing and judgement. There is no dignity or goodness in retributive hatred because it does nothing to make the world a better place. I'm not writing this to condemn the OP. These are just my thoughts on the matter in a general sense.

Are we going to fight hatred with hatred and respond to dehumanization with dehumanization? It's easy to help a victim. It's harder to help a psychopath. Both deserve help. If you help a psychopath recover, you are doing something very powerful, because it means that all that capacity for evil has been transformed into a capacity for good, and if there is a lot of evil, there is the potential there for so much good. It just needs to be transformed.

Imagine if you could go into a prison and heal people. Heal their lives. Help them understand their crimes. Help them feel remorse, help them to change. Is there a more direct, powerful, and potent way to increase the amount of good in the world than that? I don't think so. Because if something very evil is redeemed and becomes something good, you've technically gotten rid of more evil and more potential for evil, than helping a good person become better. Though obviously, everyone deserves help, and the world benefits the most from everyone being helped. The tendency is to exclude the "evil" people, as nonsensical as that is, based off some uppity moral judgement of "deserve," which ironically only comes from a place of hatred and lack of empathy.

A lot of psychopathy in our society is institutional. "Real" psychopathy is relatively rare, but a lot of the systems we have in place are by nature psychopathic, and the people who uphold them become psychopathic by association. They are just as much victims of the system as anyone else, perhaps even moreso than the people who are suffering under the system in question, because what they've lost to uphold it is their humanity. There is nothing worse that can be lost than that.

I don't believe that anyone is irredeemable. I don't believe anyone doesn't have feelings. I don't believe anyone should be viewed as not fully human. Obviously if you are being abused, then self preservation is the most important thing, not consideration of the abuser's feelings. I think though that some people can only make sense of the world if they can cast people as black and white. Because it makes it easier to understand why bad things happen that way. Why people do horrific shit. Why tenants of society upheld as good and true can cause so much harm or be so wrong. But in reality, there are so many shades of grey on every level. We live in the shadow of many weighty complexities.

I question the tendency to diagnose people who commit heinous acts. It seems to serve no purpose other than to highlight hypocrisy. If you are anti mental illness stigma, why stigmatize psychopathy, a "real disorder"? And if you want people not to think people with mental illnesses are dangerous criminals who should be feared, contained, and controlled, why label murderers and rapists as mentally ill?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

You based your post on "a look in a person's eyes" with scary conviction and said nothing about the crimes they have committed. I'm sure you can understand my confusion. :P
    Go look at mug shots of killers. Not shop lifters. Repeat murderers. They all have that thousand yard stare. They look right through you. Besides, I’m not judge, jury or executioner in the land so no need to worry. If I was repeat murderers serial killers would all be dead, not breathing the same air as the rest of us. Charles Manson wouldn’t have been sitting and spouting his insane bullshit for years after inspiring his brain dead minions to kill. He’d be quite dead. I have no sympathy for people who can kill others like they’re changing a lightbulb. They’re a threat to humanity.