• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you ask an autistic person to stop harassing you?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am experiencing a situation with an individual who does not understand when enough is enough.

The behavior was always there, but has recently been escalating over the past few weeks.

I really don't want to get this person in trouble. Still, I need to do something beyond ignoring their behavior. They just aren't taking a hint.

How can you get an autistic person to quit inappropriate interactions? Once again, I'm not trying to involve a third party at this point. The person might genuinely not know that their behavior is borderline sexual harassment...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If they truly dont understand, id sit them down with a smile, and refer to how this stuff is likely hard for him, that you want to explain him something and that it will likely be hard on him to process and hear it. Do it without fear of intimacy, condescension and acknowledge we all have things we struggle with so it is ok that he does to.

Then walk him through the situation likeyou rehelping domeone with their homework, going over it, repeatedly, and ask him questions about the material until you feel he has a relatively good grasp. You ll be doing yourself, him and future women a solid with your patience.

Expect intense emotion and resistance as he processes the rejection, and go at his pace while being unmovable on your boundaries but also ok with his dissapointment, and any reaction he might throw at you. And dont forget to also show him an alternative way to interact with you, in an encouraging and gentle way - you cant just use deterrents in retraining behaviour as that doesnt work. There needs to be an alternative outlet if at all possible for the need that is being met in the unacceptable way.

Or at least thats what id try :shrug:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to drive around autistic, adhd, pdd-nos and every other bullshit tagged kids around in a taxi. I moved on to better pastures and been driving coaches internationally for 8 years now. Gee, that long already. Anyway...

This is how I do this. Engage and distract.

Seriously, this works almost every time.

Talk about what they want to talk about, then give them something to think about or do.

For starters, it doesn't make them feel like freaking weirdo's, which they're not really. They just don't know how to filter the world around them and read boundaries / pick up on social cues. Which makes most interactions awkward, unnatural and uncomfortable.

Secondly, it sometimes leads to rather weird and funny situations, especially if you try to steer the conversation towards something more philosophical. It makes the interaction more fun for you. I thought about it like playing a game myself.

Of course they'll keep coming back, because they'll probably think you are awesome. But unless they are around you 24/7 I don't see the issue.